SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you think it was a mistake to shut down the economy?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you think it was a mistake to shut down the economy? Login/Join 
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted
Should the government have that kind of power? Is there any reason the economy be shut down ever?

Please state your thoughts and reasons.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29592 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thoughts. Yes of course it was. Reasons. You don’t cut off your arm to cure a hangnail.

Posts: 7326 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Answer Sheet:
#1. YES
#2. NO
#3. NO
Essay Portion:
Freedom.

Posts: 22842 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
#1. NO
#2. NO
#3. NO

I agree but will amend #3 with my thoughts.

When something "random" happens there are statistical odds for "good" or "bad" to happen as a result. Only when something is planned do those odds begin to strongly favor one end of the spectrum or the other.

Is there a reason that somebody would want the ability to shut down our economy? Yes, and we're seeing it. To cause extensive damage to the US.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15684 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most governments have attained that power worldwide. Recent history shows, that if your government wants to lock you in your home...it will/can.

As far as reasons to do such a thing.
none that I can think of that aren't so catastrophic the "economy" will collapse/shutdown on its own.

We can imagine all sorts of examples, but in the current "global" (long supply lines) it wont take much to collapse/break an economy.
The bright side is, we will find a way around most of it, just not with some centralized micromanagement of human agency and activity.

Posts: 774 | Location: FL | Registered: November 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
It was a completely political reaction and in a sane world populated by rational adults, many heads would roll. We were utterly failed by our public health officials, politicians, and judges.However, I can think of scenarios where it would be beneficial to shut down the economy...perhaps an actual pathogen that proved to be universally fatal. Anyway, the incompetence and overreaction will hurt us in the event of a real emergency requiring a coordinated national response. I think we're fucked, because I'll never jump through hoops for these folks again and I imagine there are other people who feel the same.

Posts: 1955 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
Yes, of course it was a mistake to shut down the economy. The thing I’m most shocked about with regards to Covid, is how quickly the populace of this country surrendered their freedoms. It is sad that people died, but more saddening that we can not accurately face the facts that this virus attacked fat people with co-morbidities the most severe. Since we are a country of fat lard asses that pops pills to correct a lot of self inflicted lifestyle ailments it’s only natural we would have deaths.

The unintended consequences of such a shutdown are driving us toward a more nationalistic reality of supply chain issues and less reliance on the global market supply chain. Russia has also driven a stake in the heart of the globalist powers that have been pulling the string behind the curtain.

Posts: 2928 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Does a bear shit in the woods?

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you think it was a mistake to shut down the economy?

Two weeks to flatten the curve... which led to months and months.
Yes, it was absolutely a mistake.

Furthermore, it was a HUGE mistake to yield the podium to Anthony Fauci and Deborah Birx and let them speak for him and his administration.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23919 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
If you want to kill a living entity, cut off the blood supply, in this case the economy. This is what the Biden administration is doing as a means to attack and crush the middle class. The power in this country is created by the middle class and is the nemesis of the liberal progressive movement.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
1. Mistake to shut down? No initially, but yes it quickly became one
2. Should government have the power? Not currently, but yes in a perfect/better world
3. Any reason to shut down? Yes, but not like this

There was some perhaps some valid reasoning for the initial brief "two weeks to flatten the curve" style of shutdown, when little was known about the disease or treatments and hospital systems were becoming overwhelmed with rapidly rising serious cases to the point where they were unable to provide proper care.

But it quickly spiraled out of control from there, and was applied way too broadly for way too long.

So in a perfect world, there's a place for it and the government ought to have such emergency powers, but they should be very sparingly applied when faced with significant emergencies.

As it stands, I think we've clearly seen that the government as it currently exists can't be trusted with such power.

Posts: 32398 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Immense mistake. The panic and associated stupidity that went along with it amazed me. And it was used to unseat a sitting president. Made billionaires of those who profited from it. And deepened the division our society currently has. And for me it has erased any semblance of trust I had in the health care industry.
And while it went on (or is still going on) evidently people stopped dying of:
Cancer. COPD. Pneumonia. Heart Disease. Accidents. Suicide. Murder. Or any other of the myriad causes of death that Americans fall to each year.
Buy more toilet paper!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15987 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Answer Sheet:
#1. No
#2. NO
Essay Portion:
Because government is utterly incompetent on every level. We wouldn't let a 6 year old make domestic policy for the same reasons we shouldn't allow government to do it.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Of course it was a mistake. The entire idiotic, quaking-in-their-boots way anyone and everyone who was in charge at the time acted was ridiculous, and I don't need hindsight to tell me this.

Absolutely unnecessary, all of it, absolutely and entirely unnecessary.

Not only did they kill a booming economy, they scared the shit out of all the lemmings and the gullible. They scared some of them so badly, they'll never recover. I'm not kidding- after that incredibly silly shit in 2020, some people will never be the same; their security has been stripped from them and they are as emotionally naked as children.

What should we have done? Nothing. Not a single thing. We should have gone on with our lives.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107222 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mistake? Hell, yes.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Shutting down the economy was a huge mistake but one that I believe was part of the globalist plan. The amount of control governments of the world gained over their populations over the last two years was both staggering and terrifying. If the population of the USA was united it would have failed here, but sadly fear is a powerful tool.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15497 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
As the saying goes, Gun Control is not about guns, it is about Control. Same thing with the economy. Controlling the economy is about control, not about creating widespread high quality of life for the largest possible portion of the citizenry.

As usual, the results of centralized government control were worse than had they done nothing.

From both a practical viewpoint and a freedom viewpoint, shutting down the economy is a disaster still in progress.

Posts: 9394 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
1. Mistake to shut down? No initially, but yes it quickly became one
2. Should government have the power? Not currently, but yes in a perfect/better world
3. Any reason to shut down? Yes, but not like this

There was some perhaps some valid reasoning for the initial brief "two weeks to flatten the curve" style of shutdown, when little was known about the disease or treatments and hospital systems were becoming overwhelmed with rapidly rising serious cases to the point where they were unable to provide proper care.

But it quickly spiraled out of control from there, and was applied way too broadly for way too long.

So in a perfect world, there's a place for it and the government ought to have such emergency powers, but they should be very sparingly applied when faced with significant emergencies.

As it stands, I think we've clearly seen that the government as it currently exists can't be trusted with such power.

So given your initial principle that government should have the power in some cases, what would be different next time from what we have? We trusted Trump. He’s the one who started the shut down. I’m not blaming him but the radicals took it from there.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29592 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
Shutting down the economy was a huge mistake but one that I believe was part of the globalist plan. The amount of control governments of the world gained over their populations over the last two years was both staggering and terrifying. If the population of the USA was united it would have failed here, but sadly fear is a powerful tool.

This is the point I was making earlier in this thread. It was deliberate and covid was just the catalyst to set their agenda in motion. Sadly it has worked.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
So given your initial principle that government should have the power in some cases, what would be different next time from what we have?

Reread the last two sentences of my post.

We don't live in a perfect world, obviously.

And by "the government as it currently exists", I'm talking about the government as a whole (as well as the human nature of most governments to constantly be seeking greater power/control), not the Biden administration vs. the Trump administration or some hypothetical subsequent Republican administration.

Ergo, in the real world in which we exist, the government shouldn't have such power.

Posts: 32398 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post