SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone else play with trains?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone else play with trains? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Nice looking setup. I still have my boyhood American Flyer set. It's not so easy to get additional pieces since they went out of business years ago.

Posts: 999 | Location: Nashville | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I used to be into the "N" gauge and had a nice setup that hid away under the bed. I'll tell you, getting into realistic working track and signals in that small of a size got expensive fast! But as a kid with a goal, I found a way to pay and enjoyed it.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3384 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, I've got an some HO and Z gear. Haven't set them up in a long time so I'm sure the engines of both scales are probably in need of a proper cleaning and oiling, and the tracks will need attention too. Love those little mechanical marvels!

Posts: 5026 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Yes. I play with Z Gauge toys. Here is a thread in started a while back.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...770002014#8770002014

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5794 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
I play with live-steam, often radio-controlled.

See Youtube, tac's trains Accucraft Garratt, Shay, Hudson, Earl etc.

I also pay with 7.25" gauge narrow gauge Welsh stuff - see Fenland Light Railway. The blue and yellow switcher is mine.

tac

Posts: 11437 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Entertrainment Junction in West Chester, Ohio is amazing. I believe it is the largest indoor model railroad setup in the world."

It would have to be larger than this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB2UlEOg-sg

Or this one:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new...ws-thousands-NJ.html

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Wow! Doing all that in O is awesome. As I kid I used to play with HO. Subscribed for years to the magazine "Model Railroader", but at that time I was living in a condo and only had room to build on a "N" gauge set. As already mentioned, getting detail into that set was tough.

I would love to make it an old-age hobby. Either that, or buy me some more land and build me a train set that I can ride, lol.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8273 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Choo Choo Barn, Strasburg, PA

A 1,700 sf layout.

Since 1961, people across the country and around the world have come to visit a truly unique attraction...the Choo Choo Barn -- Traintown U.S.A.®! Our 1,700 square foot train layout features over 150 hand-built animated figures and vehicles and 22 operating trains. . .we guarantee the Choo Choo Barn is like nothing you've ever seen!

And, their youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/TheChooChooBarn/featured

Posts: 4057 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the compliments and great links. It is going to take some time to get everything running again but I'll try to update with progress.

Posts: 1593 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Playing with trains - any size, any scale, any gauge - can make and old man feel like a boy again.

That's why there are so many old farts like me playing trains of any size, any scale, any gauge.

To paraphrase a well-known cowboy actor - hope that there are trains in heaven, if not, I'm don't want to go there.

tac

Posts: 11437 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
A very good friend of mine was bitten by the bug early on in life growing up in Katy, Texas.

His railroad intertwines throughout his property.

Not only does he have this miniature railroad, he also has a luxury rail car that is for hire called "The Silver Iris" and can go anywhere that Amtrak goes.

http://silveriris.net/

Here is a link to an article...

Katy Docter Caught Train Bug Early On

CW

Posts: 3208 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post