SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone else play with trains?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone else play with trains? Login/Join 
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted
I'm old school Lionel, started back in the mid-80's. Just stripped my layout down to the wood, I'm going to add a 4th level with 072 turns for a 4-8-8-4. Can run 6 trains at once, kind of busy but I have limited space.

Posts: 1593 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
That's awesome.

I hope to get my kids up to see the Waushakum Live Steamers who run scale steam locos in the town the wife and I grew up in.

http://www.waushakumlivesteamers.org

IIRC Tacfoley has quite a setup, perhaps he will chime in.

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
I wish I had both the time and the space. Maybe when all the kids are out of the house.

I have a bunch of my grandfather's N-scale stuff. It's fairly old, European mostly, some of it probably mid/late 60s to early 70s. I last ran the locos in the mid 90s.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I went to a customer's house that had a 1,500 sqft train set(s). They drove through the walls along the ceiling the floors, everywhere. It looked like it could be used for a movie set it was so life like. Poor lady's husband died and she still had the whole basement set up like that. I've never seen that extensive of a train set(s) in my life. Guy must have had $100,000 worth of trains. Eek

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21107 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
I've always found trains interesting but was never motivated to get any. Looks really cool!

Posts: 691 | Registered: January 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
HO gauge, but not for a long time.

I see you are in Ohio, have you ever visited Tran-O-Rama, just outside of Port Clinton?

I always say I am going to visit. We pass it on the way to Marblehead. On the way there, we are in a hurry to get there and on the way home, we are in a hurry to get home. I have been passing it since sometime in the 70's I think.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36897 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
I really hope you continue to update this thread with pictures of the progress! I love that old Lionel stuff.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2281 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like it, I have some n-scale myself but it is not set up.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
I had (still do) a bunch of 40s and 50s vintage Lionel. My father was a true rail nut and I grew up with several layouts in the basement we built. When my boys were young, got it out and added some modern era stuff to it. Once again its put away, maybe for the grandkids.

I did inherit a large number of solid brass "S" guage engines and rolling stock when my Dad passed. Its sitting downstairs now in thier original boxes. Most from the 1960's. Most of them are narrow guage replicas of those run out in the Durango & Silverton lines at the turn of the century. The basememnt doesnt do this stuff justice, nor my Dads memory. I keep meaning to call out there and see if there is a museum that would be interested in a donation and displaying them. They are truely works of art.

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
Never been there, I'll have to check it out. We have a pretty nice train shop locally that has a gun shop next door. I spend a lot of Saturdays there.
quote:
Originally posted by P-220:

I see you are in Ohio, have you ever visited Tran-O-Rama, just outside of Port Clinton?

I always say I am going to visit. We pass it on the way to Marblehead. On the way there, we are in a hurry to get there and on the way home, we are in a hurry to get home. I have been passing it since sometime in the 70's I think.

Posts: 1593 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Cool layout!

I made this O-27 layout on an interior door slab in 2008 when we lived in a condo, for my grandson Wink It's set on dining room table, then into the closet when not in use.

Now it's in my garage, and this reminds me that the trains need to be running again!

My grandpa was a steam and then diesel engineer with Nickel Plate, and my uncle was a switchman in one of the Chicago yards.

Posts: 4057 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 08 Cayenne:
I'm old school Lionel, started back in the mid-80's. Just stripped my layout down to the wood, I'm going to add a 4th level with 072 turns for a 4-8-8-4. Can run 6 trains at once, kind of busy but I have limited space.

That transformer in the lower end of the pic next the the controllers brings back some great memories. IIRC, it can run four seperate lines with the rotating inner and outer drum rheostats. The model number escapes me though, but its Lionel-iconic. Your rails and switches appear to be in really fine shape. The corrosion that forms on them is a constant battle.

"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P-220:

Entertrainment Junction in West Chester, Ohio is amazing. I believe it is the largest indoor model railroad setup in the world.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25674 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
The transformers are "ZW", I have 2 of them, actually just ordered a 3rd, one shorted out, and 2 "KW". Plenty of power, from the 40's / 50's.

Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
ZW!!! Thats it! I remember I got mine rebuilt when I raided my Dads attic for the kids. What kind of rolling stock do you have? I still remember the smell of thise "smoke pellets", and the growl the Pennsylvania 4-8-4 (or was it a 4-6-4) made. Especially when the track was a bit dirty and the little roller pick up wasnt doing well.

I still have the first 4x8 layout table my Dad made for me when I was a kid. Legs were 3/4" pipe. Its downstairs in the furnace room against the wall. Prolly 50 years old now. Maybe it will see another generation.

Thanks for some nice memories.

Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
My dad had an awesome train set when he was a boy. Lionel. Unfortunately, my brother had brought the set to his apartment to set up and run, and someone stole the whole setup. I don't even like to think about it.
If and when you can, post a video if that running. My little boy would watch it all day long Smile

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5499 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like that layout 08 Cayenne.. great amount of space.

Stuck with a winter season layout myself which I set up in the garage with a few accosories and a few small Christmas trees.

Before I took it down a around March 1st recorded this 'fast and smokey' freight train.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oFRJGRS5MU

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
So I'm in the Harley Shop outside Visalia, Ca, a few weeks ago, and the owner is a train guy. That means, the entire front of the Harley shop is one big diorama with about 20 train systems and a huge amusement park in the center. If anyone is into it I recommend they go just to see it. I was mesmerized and I'm not even a junkie.

Posts: 2045 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had an HO set when I was a kid. My dad built me a train table for the layout. It was in my bedroom with my mattress underneath it. I bumped my head quite a few times getting out of bed in the morning. Good times.

Posts: 512 | Location: Pearland, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
yep, and it's a serious sickness. But fun and entertaining. Like your setup. Mine's HO, big yard, double track main on a couple of levels.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3794 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post