SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ken Onion Worksharp for my Dad
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ken Onion Worksharp for my Dad Login/Join 
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted
My dad wants a Ken Onion Worksharp, primarily for kitchen knives. I have looked at them before, but have never bought one. Which model do I need for him?

Do I also need the accessory pack?

I'd like to shop the Labor Day sales.

Thanks.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12786 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I've got the knife and tool Workshop. About $70.

Not sure what the accessory pack includes but a few extra belts might come in handy. I don't use the guides and use the green medium belt the most. The red is for shaping a really dull blade and the silver is for fine polishing the edge and touch up sharpening. It's a handy tool.

Posts: 4700 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
I bought a KO Worksharp a few years ago & added the blade grinding attachment. I leave the blade grinding attachment on because I never use the angle guide. You'll also need the longer belts if you're getting the blade grinder attachment.

With that setup you can sharpen anything from your good knives to the mower blade off the garden tractor. I only use the WS when knives are really dull or get nicked up, and even then I use a slow-medium speed. Otherwise I use a Spyderco Sharpmaker for touchups.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Primary for kitchen knives you are good to go out of the box. I think they make a strop'ing belt if you want.

But working form rough down to finest belt. I could almost see myself in the edge on my Globals.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8856 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Dad won’t need extra belts for a while.
I’ve been using the same ones for at least a year...and I have yet to need the roughest one.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Used mine to rehad all my mom' kitchen knives, which were about as sharp as butter knives.

She said they were like having new ones when I was finished. It was pretty easy to use.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the heck of it I sharpened the lawnmower blade with mine. Didn’t take long, a couple minutes at most. Gave the lawn a nice shave.

Posts: 3954 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been using one for several years and am quite impressed. I know there are guys that work with stones to get razor edges, but I personally don't think that is particularly useful or necessary for an every day knife. The Work Sharp provides a very functional edge.

Posts: 8961 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I love mine.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34131 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I love mine. We butchered up to 8 hogs in one session, and this thing kept the knives sharp throughout.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4359 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I splurged a few years ago on a manual WorkSharp Outdoor system.....with extra pack. Most excellent, first system (of MANY) that I continue to use after the initial excitement turns to sour reality.

So satisfying to use I no longer am seeking a motorized setup.

Dozen+ kitchen knives of vaarious design/length/intent; and a wad of various work/utility/hunting blades that make it a joy to finally have a tool my limited skills can maximize.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9856 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
If you're getting the ken onion workshop; splurge a bit more and get the Blade Grinder attachment. Seriously.

It's fast and easy.

Biggest tip is to not use pressure but let the speed and the blade do the job.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19691 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ken Onion Worksharp

I have one and love it.

I got a bunch of extra grit belts - some spares to the ones in the box, and a couple finer grit ones.

Posts: 15033 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Was that you
or the dog?
Picture of SHOOTIN BLANKS
posted Hide Post
Love mine as well. Never used the coarse belt. Medium when needed but usually the fine and the polish or finishing belt. I had a Lanskey kit that I never mastered. This rig is pretty idiot proof. This idiot always uses the guide. You can even do one side of the cheapo serrated knives in the kitchen and bring them back to life. Great for tomato season.

Posts: 1634 | Location: PA | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post