SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    HELP! Windows Live Mail problem
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HELP! Windows Live Mail problem Login/Join 
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted
I'm having a weird issue with WLM, I can receive mails but can't send, they just stay in the Outbox. Nothing I've found on the internet has been of any help. Will I just end up uninstalling and reinstalling. If so, what happens to all of my messages? Will I lose all of my contacts?

Posts: 12233 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
If you click the "send / Recieve" button are you presented with an error?

Is your "Work Offline" button selected?

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1289 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbramlett:

The answer to the first question is no, all that happens is that the message stays in the Outbox.

As for the second question, no, it Outlook shows that I am working online.

Posts: 12233 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
What email service are you using? If it's Outlook.com you should probably move to another email client anyway. You should be able to import your email and contacts to whatever new client you decide on before you uninstall Live Mail.

Posts: 3466 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clubleaf206:
quote:

The answer to the first question is no, all that happens is that the message stays in the Outbox.

Were the messages that are stuck large attachments like photos etc?

What is the status indicator doing at the bottom of Live Mail when you send/receive does it have an Exclamation point? This would be on the very bottom right of the program next to "working online globe"

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1289 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Generally, it will remain a unsent draft if you dont have a email address, subject and email body of text or attachment. Are you filling in all 3 parts of a email?

Posts: 17984 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Were the messages that are stuck large attachments like photos etc?

What is the status indicator doing at the bottom of Live Mail when you send/receive does it have an Exclamation point? This would be on the very bottom right of the program next to "working online globe"

No, no large attachments.

No, there is no exclamation point next to the working online globe.

Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Generally, it will remain a unsent draft if you dont have a email address, subject and email body of text or attachment. Are you filling in all 3 parts of a email?

All I'm doing is attempting to respond to a message that I have received, so all those parts of the email are already filled in.

Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
What email service are you using? If it's Outlook.com you should probably move to another email client anyway.

Outlook isn't giving me problems, I have Hotmail accounts that I use through Outlook and I'm able to both receive and send messages and replies to messages.

probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
So what account are you using the Windows Live Mail client for? If it is a Outlook.com, Live.com or Hotmail.com account, Microsoft changed something that makes Windows Live Mail not work correctly with those accounts and no longer updates the product. I used to use WLM with my Hotmail accounts and had problems where I was losing messages. I transitioned to Thunderbird, and while it isn't as good as WLM was, it actually works.

If you aren't using it with a Microsoft webmail service then I think it should work and uninstalling and reinstalling may fix it. However since Microsoft doesn't support it anymore, you should find another email client anyway.

Posts: 3466 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
It's what my default (cox.com) email goes through. If you were to send me an email using my SF contact information that is what it goes through to send me the message. And, as I said, I'm receiving messages, I'm not able to reply/send messages at the present time.

Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Cox didn't happen to change their SMTP settings/port did they?

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6367 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's what my default (cox.com) email goes through. If you were to send me an email using my SF contact information that is what it goes through to send me the message. And, as I said, I'm receiving messages, I'm not able to reply/send messages at the present time.

It could be that your cox.com outgoing server address and port has changed.

This link has the outgoing server addresses for cox.com If it was working and then just quit then its likely something with your antivirus etc on your computer. But, here is the info for you to compare your settings too.

http://www.cox.com/residential...df-ccef-000000000000

Regards,

P.

Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
Interesting, the outgoing port was set on 25 and your link shows the port number as 465. I just reset it to the latter number, I'll try a test and see if it has fixed the problem.

Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
They may have blocked 25 because most spammers try to use it.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6367 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
Darn it, it didn't work. There is a second port number listed that I also tried with no luck.

This is the message I got, when I closed and then reopened WLM.

Delete the photo email, create a new one, and try to send it again.

Server: 'smtp.east.cox.net'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x8CCC0002
Protocol: SMTP
Port: 587
Secure(SSL): Yes

The thing is, I didn't send a photo email. (?)

Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Outlook.com mail stays in the remote server and you see a reflection of it.
It is ok to simply remove the accounts from your wlm, reboot and open m to load the hotmail acounts once again. The folders should appear and populate in a while.
Your pop accounts are downloaded to your wlm client computer do not try the same with these accounts.t
MS is phasing out wlm and giving you all kinds of headaches to do so, mine went autistic a few times so i'm now trying thunderbird. Works fine with hotmail but haven't figured out my pop account yet. Lo al help desk is clueless.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12264 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
SUCCESS!!! It apparently is some sort of corruption in icloud (which I don't use) and I finally found a message with photos in it that I deleted. I then switched back to the original port number and sent some tests to myself.

I also learned that I should include photos as attachments instead of placing them within the body of the message. Thanks, everyone for your help with this. Big Grin