SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Made in USA sun hat or straw hat? I have a Tilley.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Made in USA sun hat or straw hat? I have a Tilley. Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted
I’m looking for a new sun hat. I have a nice Tilley but I’m looking for another hat, I’d like to try a straw one.

Huk and some others have a fabric under brim straw but I can’t tell where they are made. I may end up with another Canadian made Tilley.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8346 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kg5388
posted Hide Post
Had one of these SA hats last year and it was a cool hat with the flag and all but barely made it through the summer. The straw just didn’t hold up very good and split and cracked around the crown and along the top.

https://safishing.com/products...eqg7gJBoCcVkQAvD_BwE

Posts: 1847 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Confused Why wouldn't you look into a Stetson?

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Squashy Kangaroo Cooler
Picked mine up in Canada, made in Australia.
Not sure if there would be any difference with those made in the USA.

Really like it, the kangaroo leather is lighter weight than cowhide.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I looked for a long time for a straw cowboy hat with the entire crown a slightly open weave (rather than just some vents or just a strip of open weave) so that my head wouldn’t cook in the summer.

I could only find one. It’s a Resistol, and it’s made in the USA. It happens to be the most expensive straw hat Resistol makes, but that isn’t nearly as scary as with felt hats, it is $155.

It has a strip of more-open weave around the crown, but the entire crown is a slightly open weave, too.

https://resistol.com/collectio...penrange-natural_tan

It’s a nice hat.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Tilley has lasted 20 something years. I would totally buy another one instead of a straw hat even though Tilley does make a straw hat. Those won't last. Not sure about the warranty. They do float though. lol

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:
Squashy Kangaroo Cooler
Picked mine up in Canada, made in Australia.
Not sure if there would be any difference with those made in the USA.

Really like it, the kangaroo leather is lighter weight than cowhide.

OutbackSurvivalGear.com has some nice kangaroo hats.

Have a Barmah, this one is for rain. Waterproof and very durable.
https://www.outbacksurvivalgea...o-leather-hats-black

Then comes the lighter version (still waterproof), made from a special lightweight Roo. Seems like it's half the weight of the Barmah.
https://www.outbacksurvivalgea...-hats-stonewash-grey

I get mine from Great Lakes Outback.
They have full hide and screened versions. The screen hats have different SPF ratings.

*Beware, you can have 10 hats of the same model and non of them will look the same. As the skins will vary.
**I believe I have the correct links for each hat. Other than the black says its light weight.

I buy mine at an annual local festival. He has 100's if not 1000's of hats every year. Is nice being able to pick out your hat.
He has kangaroo, buffalo, goat, cowhide... he says kangaroo is king when it comes to durability.

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Purchased a good Resistol straw hat in 1984 and it is still doing the job today after 38 years. Not as handsome as it used to be, but neither am I.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1098 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poacher
posted Hide Post
Made in Mexico, but Atwood makes some nice hats out of Palm and they are sturdy.

NRA Life Member

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 2243 | Location: Newnan, GA USA | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I have a Stetson straw hat. About four years old now. Worm a lot. Still looks new. Outstanding quality.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4031 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
I recommend Stetson.

Henschel also makes fine straw hats with mesh or solid weave. I have one Aussie style with mesh weave.

Posts: 4820 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've used this hat for kayaking for several years. It is made of "TechStraw" (polypropylene). It's probably slightly hotter than real straw but it's impervious to water, really durable, and made in the US.

https://www.villagehatshop.com...traw-fedora-hat.html

Posts: 774 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

A couple of years ago, I bought the Tilley LTM2 Airflo, the widest brim hat they make. It goes well for outside work here in AZ. I gave my wife my much older tilley, with a somewhat narrower brim, and she sent it back for a new one, no charge. When I used to shoot in competition, I also wore a Tilley, the one I call the "Foreign Legion" style, with a drape down over the ears and neck (can be folded up inside if desired).

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10793 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
My normal sun hat is an old boonie hat that I'm terribly attached to and that my wife absolutely hates. Her hatred of it is one of the things that makes me so fond of it... But anyway, I'm not sure who their supplier is but US Wings carries US made boonie hats for about $25. Not terribly stylish, but they keep the sun off and are cheap enough to abuse.

It's not US made, but I've got an Akubra Balmoral in hemp straw that I like a lot and wear places too formal for a beat up boonie. Wife even likes that one, and she isn't a hat person. Made in Australia and isn't too much pricier than what Tilley wants for their hats these days. I've got several Akubras (fedoras, not cowboy hats) and like them more than my Stetsons.

I used to have a Stetson straw hat that I liked, but it doesn't appear on their website anymore. They still have the Open Road and a couple of straw cowboy hats, but they aren't really my style and I have no direct experience. I like their Stratoliner in Felt, but it just doesn't look right in straw.

Posts: 2594 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I wear a boonie too. I like that they can go in the washer with my clothes. I wish they had about an inch wider brim and a double thickness on top of the crown. After a long day on the tractor I’ve been sunburned through the single thickness of the crown

Posts: 26943 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Thanks! My favorite Tilley style, T4MO, is now made in China. A terrible disappointment and also now the warranty is no good to me! Not that expect to use it.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8346 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had no problems at all with my straw Resistol. Still looks pretty darned good and is no where near new.

I have an Ariat, which are much cheaper, shaped and colored just like Hoppy's hat, but a bit to dark and heavy for Florida. But Hoppy's my favorite cowboy.

Bob

Posts: 1583 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by straightshooter1:
I have had no problems at all with my straw Resistol. Still looks pretty darned good and is no where near new.

I have an Ariat, which are much cheaper, shaped and colored just like Hoppy's hat, but a bit to dark and heavy for Florida. But Hoppy's my favorite cowboy.

Bob

If you want a lighter hat with the same shape, Stetson and Resistol (and I assume others) both sell straw hats with unshaped crowns and brims that a decent hat shop can steam and shape however you want.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
I wear a boonie too. I like that they can go in the washer with my clothes. I wish they had about an inch wider brim and a double thickness on top of the crown. After a long day on the tractor I’ve been sunburned through the single thickness of the crown

The Boonie hat came into service during the Vietnam war. The first variation came to be known as Type 1, brim was about 2.5" or so. Second variant was the Type 2, brim about 2". Neither one was particularly good in the rain, just became soaked and drooped down over the head.

Interestingly, during my time (1969-1971) boonie hats were next to impossible to get in the field combat units. Go to a headquarters area and all the clerks, typists, and other rear echelon folks had all the boonies.

Most of my second tour I was NCOIC of a Pathfinder Detachment. Had requisitions in for camo uniforms and boonie hats for many months, but never received a single one.

When I was outprocessing to go home I commented on that at a NCO club in Cam Ranh Bay. One of the guys left the bar, returned a few minutes later and handed me two brand now boonies still in the plastic wrappers. Still have them, over 50 years later.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1098 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Might want to look at Larry Mahan straw cowboy hats. I had several back when and found then to be high quality and durable.

Sheplers among other retailers carry them
https://www.sheplers.com/cowbo...prefv1=Larry%20Mahan

Some great info here:
https://cowboyhatstore.com/hats_info/mahan.html

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16255 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post