SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Flag flying question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flag flying question Login/Join 
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted
In 1990 I bought my first house. Almost from the day we bought it there was an American flag flying in front of it.
When we moved to Florida 20+ years ago the first thing we did was buy an American flag. Other than hurricanes it has bee flying continuously in fort of our house. It is lit at night and and replaced regularly I would never do anything to disrespect the flag or our country.
This is something my wife and I are very proud of.

I have been thinking about this a lot lately and was wondering if it would be disrespectful to fly it upside down.
I know the meaning of doing this and this country is definitely in trouble. I am not sure if we are at this point yet and would not want to do anything disrespectful to the country and our flag however in my opinion we are getting close.

I also in no way want to upset anyone here. I know a lot of members have fought for our flag and this country and I know thousands upon thousands of people have died defending our flag and this country. I never served in the military. The closest to this would have been my service as a firefighter in my home town.

I also do not want to start a fight over this question. Please be respectful of others opinions.

If the moderators think this not an appropriate question please close this thread or delete it.

This is a question I am having a very very hard time with.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2579 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
My first thought whenever seeing an upside down flag is that the person(s) within the house may be in need of assistance. You may inadvertently be receiving visits from the police to check on your welfare.

My second thought is usually that the person flying the flag doesn't like the current administration and is using the upside down flag to voice their protest.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18027 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
My first thought whenever seeing an upside down flag is that the person(s) within the house may be in need of assistance. You may inadvertently be receiving visits from the police to check on your welfare.

My second thought is usually that the person flying the flag doesn't like the current administration and is using the upside down flag to voice their protest.

I agree with the above. It is normally meant to convey a signal of distress, but has also been used as a sign of protest against various situations.

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't do it if it's not a distress signal.

FWIW, I would not have done it in the Maobama years either.

Conditions in this country change. Administrations change.

The flag should, IMHO, be an unadulerated, unmolested constant.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: vinnybass,

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5488 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
If you have or can obtain a Gadsden Flag (rattlesnake on yellow field with “Don’t Tread on Me”), that might’ve more appropriate to fly underneath the US flag as a sign of protest and distress.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2708 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 71 TRUCK:
I have been thinking about this a lot lately and was wondering if it would be disrespectful to fly it upside down.

I don't know about disrespectful, but I feel it would be inappropriate. You may be distressed about the state of the country, but you're not literally "in distress."

As 2BobTanner suggested: Flying the Gadsden flag underneath, or instead of, the U.S. flag would be the better way to express your sentiments.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
My personal opinion, this is neither appropriate nor respectful. Again, this is personal opinion.

Morning and evening "colors" had a special meaning to me when I was in the Navy.

I am having major repair / renovation work done at my house. I am looking forward to the part of this work that will include erecting a flagpole, complete with night lighting.

Interesting, the work is being done by a Mexican-American, who came to this country about forty years ago, as a thirteen year old boy, and is now a U.S. citizen. He is enthusiastic about installing a concrete base, and he produced a flagpole for me, that he rescued from a renovation job on another property.

I noticed that a couple of posters mentioned the Gadsden flag, which I had intended to fly, below the U.S. flag.

I am also planning to substitute the Betsy Ross 13-star flag for the current one on appropriate holidays.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30737 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
Are you under immediate distress/duress?

If not, please don't fly it upside down.

That is my opinion, you can always do what you want...

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3356 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I am also planning to substitute the Betsy Ross 13-star flag for the current one on appropriate holidays.

I've the original Betsy Ross flag, in the proper proportions, for Independence Day. I will fly the Gadsden flag below it on that day. I've a U.S. Army flag for Memorial and Veteran's Days. The rest of the time I fly a current U.S. flag with a State flag below it.

Ours is not lit, so I bring it in at sundown and raise it first thing when I get up in the morning, providing weather allows.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:

I agree would not fly it upside down.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4842 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another please don’t fly her upside down.
“Don’t tread on me” flags send a very clear & powerful message

https://gadsdenandculpeper.com...lection-in-the-world

Ps, I’ve bought from these folks before, never had an issue.
Thank you.

Posts: 5769 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

raise it first thing when I get up in the morning, providing weather allows.
I believe that a flag made of weather-resistant material, like nylon or polyester (as opposed to cotton) may be flown in inclement weather. Is this correct?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30737 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
I believe that a flag made of weather-resistant material, like nylon or polyester (as opposed to cotton) may be flown in inclement weather. Is this correct?[/QUOTE]

Yes, a all weather flag may be flown at all times. As to the OP’s question; I like the idea of a Gadsden flag, I’m not enthusiastic about flying an American flag upside down.

Posts: 12185 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Regardless of the technical meaning, others may not be aware of any meaning or flag etiquette.
Keep it simple. Fly it in the normal position.

Posts: 9548 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
If I saw it flying like that I'd just look at the house and think to myself God I hate useless leftists and their whining. Then I would look for the 'Hate has no home here' sign.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20845 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
raise it first thing when I get up in the morning, providing weather allows.
I believe that a flag made of weather-resistant material, like nylon or polyester (as opposed to cotton) may be flown in inclement weather. Is this correct?

I'm not certain on that point.

If it's just drizzling or flurrying, and not blowing too hard, I leave it up.

Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
I would never do this. As suggested fly the Gadsden if needed.

High and proud:

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3795 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
Yes there are all weather flags. In the military we called them storm flags and only brought them in at night, no lights, and if the wind was so high that it would tear them. My flags, I have three flying, an American flag, our state flag and the Christian flag are illuminated at night and fly 24/7 regardless of the weather. If they show signs of wear or fading they are replaced immediately.

As to flying the flag upside down, I believe that is only recognized as a valid display of the flag at sea when a vessel is in distress. On a land base flagpole I would personally see that as disrespectful.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 879 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I think flying a flag upside down is a signal of acute distress and that those flying it that way are in need of immediate assistance.

I do not think it is for generalized distress or a signal that one is facing difficulties.

I don't think it should be used a political statement about the country being in trouble.

I wouldn't do it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Another vote for not upside down.

Gadsden as a second flag gets your message out.

Posts: 23590 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post