SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sometimes you think you're prepared and find that you're not.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sometimes you think you're prepared and find that you're not. Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
I don't know whether this goes here, or in the rants section. So here it is.

Nothing to get peeved over, really, just a gentle reminder from Murphy, or the Universe, or something, that you can think you have your stuff together and find that you really don't.

The Lovely Girlfriend and I were out this weekend and on a whim decided that a slice of cheesecake would be really good. Of course, it was 10:45 on Friday night and we were out of our own town, so choices were somewhat limited. We ended up at a Walmart, grabbing a pre-packaged slice and a couple other things needed for the weekend.

Now, I'm totally down for sharing a slab of cheesecake with her (but only with her -- I'm greedy like that!). Doing so, however, was going to require at least a plastic fork. "No worries," I said, "I've got a kit in the backpack in the car." So off we went, cheesecake in hand.

When we got back to where we were staying, I yanked the backpack out and started digging. I know I've bought a half-dozen of these spork sets, and more than a couple of the Ka-Bar tactical sporks. There's got to be one in the backpack. We've all got our "vehicle EDC" packs, right? This pack is aimed at "inconvenience avoidance," rather than the bugout or get-me-home sort of pack. So there's toiletries, a few durable snacks, a notepad, warm gloves, stuff like that. Know what's not in the pack Friday night? Yep. Ain't no fork nor spork to be found.

Being neither completely refined nor absolute barbarians, we're not afraid to wash up well and just pick the thing up like an apple and have at it. Big Grin Despite being mass-produced and being a not-for-11pm snack, it was still pretty darned good. And I learned another lesson: go through the backpack occasionally. Leave a list in there of what's supposed to be in there, too, so you have something to refer to on the occasional backpack audit.

Guess what I'm ordering more of today. Wink

God bless America.

Posts: 13826 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post
People laughed when they saw I had cutlery sets and salt and pepper and a zip lock bag with condiment packs in the center console. You never know.

And cheesecake is always a good idea.

Posts: 5897 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I keep a few forks/paper plates in my travel luggage.
I grabbed them from the continental breakfast area.

PC

Posts: 1369 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
From the thread title, I was expecting a crime story. Glad it wasn't.

On second thought, it was a crime not being prepared. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 27447 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Walmart cheesecake? You are already risking your life! Big Grin

Posts: 1324 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Haha, I’ve been there! Just the other day, I found myself in a similar spot—grabbed some snacks and realized I forgot the essential stuff like a decent utensil. Ended up improvising with whatever I could find, and it wasn’t too bad. Definitely agree about keeping a checklist for your gear. It’s a game-changer for avoiding those little annoyances. And yeah, I’m right there with you—always end up buying duplicates of stuff I thought I had.

Posts: 52 | Location: MS, USA | Registered: February 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
When I was in HS, we had a German foreign exchange student (Doris) live with us. She liked to make fun of her mother, who was a young girl during WW2, because she always carried a spoon with her. When Doris asked her mother why, her mother replied, "because you never know when you will get to eat." That really struck me, even as a high school boy. The older I get, and as the world becomes more uncertain, I remembered that and have eating utensils in the various bags I always have near.

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4990 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16826 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I keep plastic utensils in my glove box.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34365 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I keep a titanium spork in the get-home-bag on the back seat. It's come in handy a time or two.

Posts: 20520 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
You mean like a fully equipped first aid kit but missing basic band aids ? I hate it when that happens. Murphy is always hiding in my house, and still hasn't paid any rent.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8906 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of armme
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
I keep plastic utensils in my glove box.

Door pocket, here.

Posts: 271 | Location: NC | Registered: August 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
My wife has a collection of plastic utensils (and about a cord of wood equivalent paper napkins) in virtually every nook and cranny of her car…

So if the SHTF and you need some just look me up!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6461 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Add to the list: A good old fashioned cork screw

Posts: 24165 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
From the thread title, I was expecting a crime story. Glad it wasn't.

Eek! Didn't think about my subject line being read in that manner. Eek

quote:
Originally posted by DrDan:
her mother replied, "because you never know when you will get to eat."

Reminds me of when I was just a little kid and my grandpa said it was time to eat. I told him I wasn't hungry. He replied: "You don't eat because you're hungry. You eat to keep from getting hungry." I didn't really understand it until some time later Mom explained -- he and his family grew up so poor that they often didn't know when they'd get a meal again. Frown

quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
(FRIENDS video)

Good one! Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
So if the SHTF and you need some just look me up!

Good to know! Cool

quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Add to the list: A good old fashioned cork screw

Good point! I'll pick up a couple of those, too. I'm also going to hit up the surplus store this week for a few more P-38/P-51 can openers.

You guys who keep utensils and such in the car make the story so much better! She used to keep utensils and straws in her car all the time, when her daughter was younger, with her daughter frequently rushing a meal in the car on the way to and from school or extracurriculars. Truth is, she probably has some in her console right now. Big Grin

God bless America.

Posts: 13826 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
My daily driver (which is generally the only vehicle Mrs.BurtonRW and I use together as well, holds lots of plastic utensils, napkins, good quality (well sealed) camping salt/pepper shakers, and straws. I don’t see anything odd about that at all, especially if you, like us, are often on the road and eat a lot of meals in the car.

Carry on.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16310 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DrDan:
When I was in HS, we had a German foreign exchange student (Doris) live with us. She liked to make fun of her mother, who was a young girl during WW2, because she always carried a spoon with her. When Doris asked her mother why, her mother replied, "because you never know when you will get to eat." That really struck me, even as a high school boy. The older I get, and as the world becomes more uncertain, I remembered that and have eating utensils in the various bags I always have near.

I remember this saying, not necessarily about spoons or utensils, but just about having the availability of food in front of you and not taking advantage of it. My grandpa used to say (1903 birth date and on the run with his widowed mom and sibs when he was a child..)“you’ll never know when you get your next meal.”
He quit running when he was in his late teens and settled down.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5490 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
My wife keeps a fork in her purse, AKA the Tardis.
My truck has utensils and also containers for leftovers rather than the crappy ones the restaurants give you. We bring the bag of containers into the restaurant if we know we’ll be bringing some home. Also in said bag is a small rubber spatula because there is no greater commodity than sauce or gravy, none should be left on the plate.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12960 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Never waste good gravy! Big Grin

God bless America.

Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Yup. Carry a spork and have a jackknife. And have snacks like the small Bushes beans with pull tops.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6400 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post