SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    End of an Era - NYPD Retiring Last Service Revolvers
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

End of an Era - NYPD Retiring Last Service Revolvers Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted
I'm sure there are a few old-timers on the force who are going to be pretty unhappy...

Per a memo from the NYPD Commissioner last week, effective August 31st, 2018, revolvers will no longer be authorized for duty use by uniformed NYPD officers. (I'm not sure if this applies to detectives and brass too.)

Officers who still carry a revolver are being required to transition to either a Glock 17, Glock 19, or Sig P226 DAO next year. Revolvers will remain available for off duty carry.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
My older cousin Solomon walked a beat in Brooklyn when I was a kid (during and immediately after WW-2). He was my hero. I remember that big revolver on his hip.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did I read somewhere that the G-17s used only a 15 round mag and that G-19 Mags could be used in the 17s? What was their reasoning for NYPD to do this?

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
19 mags don't fit into a 17. 17 will fit a 19 and both 17 and 19 will fit into a 26 but it doesn't work the other way.

Posts: 4077 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArLEOret:
Did I read somewhere that the G-17s used only a 15 round mag and that G-19 Mags could be used in the 17s? What was their reasoning for NYPD to do this?

Yes, the NYPD G17s are issued with 15 round magazines. The other duty guns - G19 and P226 9mm - both use 15 round magazines too.

No, G19 15 rounders cannot be used in the G17. They use full-sized G17 magazines blocked to 15 rounds. Glock part # MF17015B

As for the reasoning, I don't know. My guess is to simplify the logistics of issuing ammo, perhaps? If every officer is using 15 round magazines, every officer gets 46 rounds of ammo issued each time (15+15+15=1).

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Lol, our Navy Gunner wanted to do that with our M11s, load each magazine to 10 instead of 13.

He lost that argument.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 15round mags for the 17 are simply for logistical reasons so issue of ammo load out for duty and course of fire in qualifications can be identical across both platforms. While many will object to this, when training tens of thousands of officers annually ( nypd has more armed personnel than the entire United States coast guard) many (most.?) are not gun people it does make some sense.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The point about qualifications makes sense too.

I carry 52 rounds normally (17+17+17+1). But qualifications involves shooting 50 rounds. When I go to qualify, I have to remove two rounds.

When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
There are very few still out in the field. The VAST majority or used by admin types. The NYPD firearm's unit doesn't want to bother inventorying the ammo needed for quals.

Anyone still grandfathered has 25 years on the dept.

The switched to the Semi-auto only in 93 . Long after other NY agencies. Long after many agencies around them did. Right across the river, we went to them in 86.

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/08...-semiautomatics.html

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
There are very few still out in the field. The VAST majority or used by admin types. The NYPD firearm's unit doesn't want to bother inventorying the ammo needed for quals.

Anyone still grandfathered has 25 years on the dept.

The switched to the Semi-auto only in 93 . Long after other NY agencies. Long after many agencies around them did. Right across the river, we went to them in 86.

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/08...-semiautomatics.html

Rscalzo,
Where you in Yonkers PD? If so you might have arrested couple of my cousins back in the day (they deserved it).

Thanks for posting the article, I had thought NYPD issued 10 round magazines and the article confirmed it. I believe they initially issued 115 grain ball ammo because they were concerned about hollowpoints.

Posts: 4591 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
thanks for posting this. I often wonder if any LEO's still carry revolvers while in uniform.

Last time I saw an LEO in uniform with a revolver, it was at the Chicago Midway airport about 4 years ago. Old cop with a 6-shooter.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10926 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
No, G19 15 rounders cannot be used in the G17. They use full-sized G17 magazines blocked to 15 rounds. Glock part # MF17015B

As for the reasoning, I don't know. My guess is to simplify the logistics of issuing ammo, perhaps? If every officer is using 15 round magazines, every officer gets 46 rounds of ammo issued each time (15+15+15=1).

You know what would really simplify logistics?

Only issuing each NYPD officer 1 round and requiring them to keep to keep said round in a shirt pocket, "for emergency only."

We can joke about NYPD's marksmanship, but the fact is that they are carrying guns with live ammunition. You either trust your officers, or you don't--so what's the point of shortening the magazine by two rounds for on-duty guns if the gun is fully capable of accepting those extra rounds without a loss in reliability or peroframnce?

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
It makes no sense that they have to use DAO 226 But they allowed to carry a Glock.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zecpull:
It makes no sense that they have to use DAO 226 But they allowed to carry a Glock.

While I see the point you are making, remember the NYPD Glock has the same trigger pull weight at the DAO P226.

Posts: 4591 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
You can't shoot as many bystanders with a revolver. AND they're SAFE act compliant, which their Glocks sure ain't.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:
...so what's the point of shortening the magazine by two rounds for on-duty guns if the gun is fully capable of accepting those extra rounds without a loss in reliability or performance?

Trying to support, establish or "prove" that magazine capacity limitations are OK or serve some purpose? "Even NYPD doesn't load more than 15 rounds, and they're cops!"

I guess we can always wait and see what happens the next time someone on NYPD screws up and dumps a bunch of rounds into the wrong person.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
quote:

While I see the point you are making, remember the NYPD Glock has the same trigger pull weight at the DAO P226.

Yep. ~12 pounds.

The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Working for a fair sized department, I can tell you that the logistics of issuing ammo for different capacity magazines can be a time consuming pain in the ass during training and qualifications. Things go much smoother when you can just have the load outs prepared before hand. We have one standard duty weapon,but multiple approved BUGs in multiple calibers. When it comes to course of fire, we still load our magazines with 11 rounds on the duty course (originally set up for the SW 4043) and the BUGs with 5 rounds (originally set up for the J frame). I’m surprised they had Glock make them special magazines rather than just downloading by 2. But then again if they didn’t and only issued 46 rounds to everyone you’d have officers either running with 17, 17, and 11 or just loading whatever random ammo they had on hand to make up the difference.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
quote:

Yep. ~12 pounds.

Yes the NY plus trigger. Also, didn't ATF declare the Glock Double action t one point?

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also, didn't ATF declare the Glock Double action t one point?

A Glock is technically double-action, though traditional terms like "double action" and "single action" are arguably more appropriate for hammer-fired guns than striker-fired guns. (You sometimes see "striker fired" listed as a separate classification than DA or SA.)

The Glock's striker is only partially cocked by the movement of the slide. The trigger is then technically a double-action because it performs two actions: it finishes retracting the striker, and then releases the striker.

The S&W M&P's striker and trigger are the same way, and it is also technically a double-action.

Compare to the Springfield XD, which is very similar but which is technically a single-action. The XD's striker is fully cocked by the movement of the slide, so the XD's trigger does one thing: it releases the striker.

The Sig P320 is similarly technically a single-action.