SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    End of an Era - NYPD Retiring Last Service Revolvers
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

End of an Era - NYPD Retiring Last Service Revolvers Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by copaup:
I’m surprised they had Glock make them special magazines rather than just downloading by 2.

Glock didn't make the 15 round G17 mags just for the NYPD. They were already producing them, for sale in states with 15 round magazine limits, like Colorado or New Jersey.

Posts: 33110 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
thanks for posting this. I often wonder if any LEO's still carry revolvers while in uniform.

Last time I saw an LEO in uniform with a revolver, it was at the Chicago Midway airport about 4 years ago. Old cop with a 6-shooter.

We still have a few old timers left that carry wheel guns. They had to come on the job before 1991.
I can still carry my snub-nosed, but only off-duty, or as a back up.

This new generation I think is limited to the Glock 42-43, or Ruger LCP's.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8550 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
The point about qualifications makes sense too.

I carry 52 rounds normally (17+17+17+1). But qualifications involves shooting 50 rounds. When I go to qualify, I have to remove two rounds.
Sorry, but I don't understand why you "have to remove two rounds."

Step to the line with gun and mags loaded for "duty carry." Shoot the qual, and finish with two extra rounds. Why remove them before shooting the course?

Also, a few extra rounds might come in handy if you have a malfunction, that you need to clear. I don't know how you guys handle it, but "make up" (aka alibi) shots for us, are at the discretion of the FI running the line. If a shooter doesn't aggressively try to clear a malfunction and attempt to get all the shots off in time, none of us will allow a make up (alibi) shot. If we feel the shooter actually tried to fix the problem, but still couldn't get a shot off in the allotted time, we will let them shoot a make up (alibi) shot.

So on the rare occasion you get a failure to fire, and must "tap, rack, and go," you will have the extra rounds.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
Also, didn't ATF declare the Glock Double action t one point?

A Glock is technically double-action, though traditional terms like "double action" and "single action" are arguably more appropriate for hammer-fired guns than striker-fired guns. (You sometimes see "striker fired" listed as a separate classification than DA or SA.)

The Glock's striker is only partially cocked by the movement of the slide. The trigger is then technically a double-action because it performs two actions: it finishes retracting the striker, and then releases the striker.

The S&W M&P's striker and trigger are the same way, and it is also technically a double-action.

Compare to the Springfield XD, which is very similar but which is technically a single-action. The XD's striker is fully cocked by the movement of the slide, so the XD's trigger does one thing: it releases the striker.

The Sig P320 is similarly technically a single-action.

Thanks Rogue.

Posts: 4763 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
Sorry, but I don't understand why you "have to remove two rounds."

Step to the line with gun and mags loaded for "duty carry." Shoot the qual, and finish with two extra rounds. Why remove them before shooting the course?

50 rounds only on the firing line during qualifications. Everyone finishes with an empty gun and empty mags.

I suspect they don't want marginal shooters failing to get the correct number of rounds off during the various strings of fire, and then claiming "Oh, I brought extra" when they finish with some ammo left. Counting holes on paper isn't always foolproof.

Could be worse. When I first started, you were limited to loading 6 rounds per magazine during qualifications. The course of fire was still built around shooting a revolver. (And this was barely over a decade ago...) So you went to the line with 18 rounds in magazines and 32 rounds loose in your pocket, and had to repeatedly stop to load mags during the course.

Posts: 33110 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post