SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Toyota/Lexus to replace over 102K full engine assemblies for Tundra/LX vehicles
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Toyota/Lexus to replace over 102K full engine assemblies for Tundra/LX vehicles Login/Join 
More light than heat
Picture of Milliron
posted Hide Post
Suddenly my 2011 V8 Tundra is looking pretty damn good.

"Age does not bring wisdom. Often it merely changes simple stupidity into arrogant conceit. It's only advantage, so far as I have been able to see, is that it spans change. A young person sees the world as a still picture, immutable. An old person has had his nose rubbed in changes and more changes and still more changes so many times that that he knows it is a moving picture, forever changing. He may not like it--probably doesn't; I don't--but he knows it's so, and knowing is the first step in coping with it."

Robert Heinlein

Posts: 8868 | Location: West Chester, Ohio | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I was glad to see they're stepping up. Anything less than a full engine replacement would be half assed.

Posts: 3537 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Yeah, hold on to your 2011 model my friend...

Anybody want to take a guess as to why they aren't replacing the engines in the hybrid models?

Toyota notes that this remedy applies only to the non-hybrid versions of its V35A twin-turbocharged 3.4-liter V-6 engines; the hybrid variants can still provide motive power in the event of an engine failure, thanks to their electric motors.

So Toyota is telling us that if you have their hybrid, drive on the batteries or you are FwaK3D.

Just have a few hundred pounds of ballast up front and park close to a charger?

Posts: 9384 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
I'd want a separate and longer warranty for that rebuilt engine.

Still waiting to hear the details of what sort warranty/extension will be offered or included.

Or if the folks that have already had motors rebuilt due to the failure will get a new motor.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25646 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Anybody want to take a guess as to why they aren't replacing the engines in the hybrid models?

Yes. While V6T is near identical to the Hybrid V6T, there is a huge difference in what happens when the plain V6T fails. When the plain V6T fails, you could be on the highway or train tracks and the computer should immediately kill power. No bueno. When the Hybrid V6T fails, the electric motor can potentially power you to the shoulder, rest area, off train tracks, etc. So the plain V6T is a huge safety issue, while the Hybrid V6T is still dead long term, it is less dangerous if/when it fails.

That's what I have heard, but take it with a grain of salt.

Posts: 2052 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
That is my understanding as the is considered a SAFETY RECALL.

Will be very curious to see if they ever add the Hybrids into the full recall, or add to the powertrain warranty and only replace them if they blow.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25646 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
No skin in this game but glad Toyota is doing the right thing here.

If I owned one of these cars I would worry about the quality of the work, yes many of the wires are plug/play on harasses etc.. However, how many modern mechanics know how to replace a motor properly.

If possible I'd wait toward the end to let them get a few replacements under their belts.

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2707 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Wasn't sure.

Just thinking about the poor sap that bought the hybrid and now has to buy his/her own engine because these things are 'reliable'.

Posts: 9384 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Remind me not to get 2022-2024 Lexus models when I need a replacement car.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19992 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was concerned about changes to reliability when Toyota replaced the frame of the Tacoma. Seems to be OK. Admittedly, I don't drive it but a couple times a year.

Posts: 1454 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
If it were Ford or Chevy you’d get a reman or long block. Been there done that. At their discretion of course.

Toyota comes through again.

Tell me when Ford or Chevy had to recall even 10k complete engines???? Let alone 102,000 engines in vehicles. Dealers don't have the man power for all these, people will be waiting months and months for a new engine.......

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
people will be waiting months and months for a new engine.......

Toyota spent several years replacing Tacoma frames, I believe.

God bless America.

Posts: 13826 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^Hundreds of THOUSANDS of Frames!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9411 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The last thing you'd want is a mechanic doing a half ass job on an engine rebuild, because there's a huge backlog of repair work. That's when you get "Where did those extra 20 bolts come from? Where did they go?"

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3625 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
If it were Ford or Chevy you’d get a reman or long block. Been there done that. At their discretion of course.

Toyota comes through again.

Tell me when Ford or Chevy had to recall even 10k complete engines???? Let alone 102,000 engines in vehicles. Dealers don't have the man power for all these, people will be waiting months and months for a new engine.......

https://www.motor1.com/news/68...20EcoBoost%20engines.

All of those engines should’ve been recalled. Having dealt with Ford on engine problems before, I never expect them to do the right thing. I could go on and on with links about how the big3 screw their customers. If you want to keep being a beta tester for them on your own dime, be my guest.

Good day sir

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 4010 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post