SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Toyota/Lexus to replace over 102K full engine assemblies for Tundra/LX vehicles
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Toyota/Lexus to replace over 102K full engine assemblies for Tundra/LX vehicles Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
I have Been following the catastrophic engine failures in Toyota/Lexus Tundras and LX vehicles for awhile now.
Man they really screwed up with this engine roll out that is for sure.
Most folks have been very interested in what Toyota was going to do about it.
Lots of speculations from, rebuilding short blocks, everyone gets a short block replacement with a full inspection of the rest of the motor and replacing anything else that was showing wear/damage, all the way up to a full new long block for everyone.

After months of waiting Toyota finally announced everyone gets a complete new engine assembly!!!
quote:
For all involved vehicles, Toyota and Lexus dealers will replace the engine with a new one at no cost to customers

https://pressroom.toyota.com/t...d-lexus-lx-vehicles/

That’s pretty wild but certainly what they need to do. I am still not fully buying machining debris from production is causing the failures but that is just me.

I read somewhere if one were to take their Tundra in for a full engine replacement that it would cost upwards of $25k on these trucks.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25646 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Wow. It’s a hit for sure, but what is the value of a reputation? They’ve got to restore trust.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29901 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Cheaper, quicker and much less down time to plug in a complete new unit than have mechanics at a dealership doing partial rebuilds.
I don't have any of those models so I wasn't aware of the problems but I would be much happier if i was as an owner with this solution.

Posts: 9785 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Is this all the new V6T engines, or just the upper iForceMax engines?

Guy in my office has a lower trim new Tundra, will have to let him know about this.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15949 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Believe it's the V6T, also read a while back that dealers are not accepting trade ins from customers with these engines, they don't want them sitting on the lot waiting for the recall to be completed for months.

Posts: 24165 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Believe it's the V6T, also read a while back that dealers are not accepting trade ins from customers with these engines, they don't want them sitting on the lot waiting for the recall to be completed for months.

I ran into the other side of that when I bought my F150.
Was looking at a nice 2014 CPO Limited, had a deal worked out & they found it was affected by the brake booster recall that had no current fix, so they 'couldn't legally sell it' with an open recall [their words].

Ended up in a new 2016 XLT instead.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P250UA5,

Posts: 15949 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
If it were Ford or Chevy you’d get a reman or long block. Been there done that. At their discretion of course.

Toyota comes through again.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 4010 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, that is going to cost them big time but glad to hear they are willing to do it. I wish Nissan would do the same for a couple of their models.

Posts: 7045 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
For some reason, I thought I YouTubed the recall was at 102k for the Tundra but, perhaps just a couple thousand had chips in the blocks. No word on the Sequoia yet. And, I saw the new Land Cruiser, be still my heart. Dont know what's under that hood.

Posts: 17977 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
I've been following "The Car Guy Online" and "The Car Care Nut" on youtoob. The former has been a doomer on the V6T engine from the 1st couple problem reports, despite being a long-time toyota fan. While the latter is a current/former? toyota master technician who says "everything's fine". I suppose the 350 new employees in their Alabama facility and the promise of a new engine settles that.

Posts: 2052 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
If it were Ford or Chevy you’d get a reman or long block. Been there done that. At their discretion of course.

Toyota comes through again.

And if it was a Stelantis vehicle (Ram or Jeep) they would deny the problem until the cows come home… I’ve owned several.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6461 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can someone please provide the Cliff Notes version of what is happening with this issue?

I am looking to purchase another vehicle. While I would like to do it now, it seems best (for me) to wait until May of next year. The crew cab Toyota Tacoma is on the short list.

I understand that Toyota has recently done a significant redesign of both the Tundra and Tacoma. I'm OK with the re-design because I don't need a Pickup TRUCK. I want large sedan with an open cargo area. That's what practically all the pickup trucks are these days.

Posts: 6707 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
No skin in this particular game, but my first question would be "are you giving me a new engine that is the same as the PoS that you are replacing?"

Or another "new design" that may have other unknown issues?

WIll Toyota be publishing stats on how many of these replaced engines actually have damage, and the details of that damage? Will they be selling the "good ones" on the open market, or just tossing them into a landfill. Seems like there may be a profit opportunity here.

Posts: 6740 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Broadside:
Can someone please provide the Cliff Notes version of what is happening with this issue?

I am looking to purchase another vehicle. While I would like to do it now, it seems best (for me) to wait until May of next year. The crew cab Toyota Tacoma is on the short list.

I understand that Toyota has recently done a significant redesign of both the Tundra and Tacoma. I'm OK with the re-design because I don't need a Pickup TRUCK. I want large sedan with an open cargo area. That's what practically all the pickup trucks are these days.

Toyota's new turbo engines have manufacturing debris left in them, causing them to fail within a few miles in some cases. Many don't seem to have a problem, but the issue is widespread enough that they are replacing every single engine.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3567 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Is this all the new V6T engines, or just the upper iForceMax engines?

Guy in my office has a lower trim new Tundra, will have to let him know about this.

It’s the non hybrid models. The hybrids have not been recalled yet.
So far only 2022 and 2023 models

quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
For some reason, I thought I YouTubed the recall was at 102k for the Tundra but, perhaps just a couple thousand had chips in the blocks. No word on the Sequoia yet. And, I saw the new Land Cruiser, be still my heart. Dont know what's under that hood.

Sequoias nor Hybrid Tundras are being recalled yet.
The recall is currently a safety recall because if the engine falls on the highway or while driving the vehicle ceases to operate.
However the hybrids will still operate for at least a mile before the engine quits so they do not fall under the recall, yet.

quote:
Originally posted by architect:
No skin in this particular game, but my first question would be "are you giving me a new engine that is the same as the PoS that you are replacing?"

Or another "new design" that may have other unknown issues?

WIll Toyota be publishing stats on how many of these replaced engines actually have damage, and the details of that damage? Will they be selling the "good ones" on the open market, or just tossing them into a landfill. Seems like there may be a profit opportunity here.

So currently Toyota says there IS NO DESIGN FLAW in these motors.
They are claiming debris is being left in the blocks from the original machining of the block and that jams up in the main bearing causing the main bearing to seize and destroy the motor.

They claim they have remedied the machining debris issue in BOTH production facilities.

I have a hard time believing that machining debris is the issue being that it’s happening in engines from two separate facilities.
But I could be wrong.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25646 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd want a separate and longer warranty for that rebuilt engine.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3625 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
I ran into the other side of that when I bought my F50.

I do not recall you posting pics of that here or in the F1 thread at time of purchase. We're gonna need to see proof of ownership.
Razz

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12641 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
I ran into the other side of that when I bought my F150.

I do not recall you posting pics of that here or in the F1 thread at time of purchase. We're gonna need to see proof of ownership.
Razz

Oops. yeah, the F50 wouldn't be my first choice, but wouldn't turn one down.

posted Hide Post
Only Toyota could have the biggest engine disaster in the history of automobiles and since they are replacing them because they have to guys are claiming “Toyota comes through again”. Haha.

Posts: 3994 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
100,000 engines? Holy crap that’s a huge chunk of change!

I had a Honda Civic that had a recall for a cracked engine block, and I ended up getting an entire engine replacement as part of it. Honda dealership tried to say it wasn’t the issue I had until I showed them the pictures from my mechanic of the crack on a weak section of the block.

Posts: 34469 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post