SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The dichotomy of being 18yrs old
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The dichotomy of being 18yrs old Login/Join 
Picture of Shaql
posted
The definition of an adult is slowly changing from 18 to 21. If this is the case, then they should attach an amendment to any legislation that the right to vote is now 21.

It amazes me how the gov't manipulates the term and definition of being an adult.

For example:
18 is old enough to go into the working world but not too old to have to buy your own insurance

18 is old enough to sell liquor but not old enough to buy it.

Now 18 is too young to buy a gun but old enough to go to war.

What else have you got? Have any other examples?

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Pluribus Unum
Picture of JRC
posted Hide Post
18 is old enough to vote, but not mature enough to figure out who to vote for.

Does that work?

Posts: 1407 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
18-20 is old enough to serve your country and be entrusted with the lives of people and millions of dollars worth of equipment, but not old enough to rent a car.

I was home on leave from Germany at age 20 from the Army and wanted to rent a car for that month and not be stuck relying on others. Went to rent a car and was refused, they said I had to be 21 years old. This was one of the national rental chains. Finally found a small, local rental place to let me have a car.
Roll Eyes

Posts: 33834 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
When I was growing up, 21 was the age you became an adult for almost anything.
The Vietnam war was going on and lots of under 21 year olds were serving and dying there. So somebody decided 18 would be the new age of adulthood for voting, drinking, etc. 1971 was the year of the amendment for voting, signed by Richard Nixon.
Now the pendulum swings back.

Posts: 9528 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep. When I was 18-20 I was fully responsible for whether a 30 plus million dollar aircraft was safe to fly, but couldn't buy a beer in town (still could at the E club back then).

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
The Vietnam war was going on and lots of under 21 year olds were serving and dying there. So somebody decided 18 would be the new age of adulthood for voting, drinking, etc.

Are you certain of that?

I'm pretty sure the age of adulthood at 18 predates Vietnam by a long time.

Posts: 33834 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
18 is old enough to contract for financial transactions

Posts: 23510 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
18, no question being tried as an adult.

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
The Vietnam war was going on and lots of under 21 year olds were serving and dying there. So somebody decided 18 would be the new age of adulthood for voting, drinking, etc.

Are you certain of that?

Depends. Smile
The things my teen age brain was thinking about then was voting, drinking, and the draft, not necessarily in that order.
The draft was 18 but they started the lottery and your year of eligibility was 19. Voting went from 21 to 18 (in '71), drinking varied by state but most had been 21 and changed to 18 until recently.
Contracts weren't on my mind and guns were not a big deal for other reasons.

Posts: 9528 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

Are you certain of that?

Nope. I was short a year to vote in 1968 at age 20. It's just as well, since I would have voted D then, but by the time I was 21 I realized how stupid that would have been, and have always voted R. It was a critical year's development, and even more so with the voting age at 18 instead of 21.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9163 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
These standards vary from state to state and from time to time.

In Texas a long, long time ago, I could drive at 14, join the service at 18 (17 with parents permission), 21 to vote, buy alcohol, no age limit for smoking. In Louisiana, 18 was drinking age then.

21 was the age to contract, except for “necessaries.”

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
There is really no reason those dates all have to be the same.

18 year olds are not generally fully mature. They make terrible short-term decisions. I think I'm generally happy that they can't drink. I could have easily gotten in trouble when I was 18 and 19 with liquor, but I was at a school where I could just stagger back to my dorm when drunk.

I don't know if those same considerations apply in all of those other contexts. I don't know that I mind 18 year olds being able to vote, for example.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Age-of-consent map. (No idea how accurate it is. Not responsible for legal fees and wasted travel expenses. Wink )

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think some of these are really "dichotomies". 18 year-olds really are old enough for some things (take orders, work, pay taxes...etc) yet not mature enough to make important decisions or guide the country (buy guns, drink alcohol, vote, etc...)
It is up to "society" to make rational decisions about where to establish the lines.

The criterion for "trial as an adult" is simply "recognize right from wrong". The criterion for "serve in the military" is "follow orders competently". The criterion for "voter" should be "have some maturity and life experience, including having worked and paid taxes".

It is a false narrative to simply declare that there is an "Adult age" and at that age all privileges, rights, and responsibilities all apply simultaneously.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
But they can be on their parents health insurance until 26....or has that been changed?

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38697 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was 18 the thought of buying a gun was far from my mind. Hell the gov gave me one and all the Ammo I could shoot. Wish I was 18 again!

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"I'm in the middle without any plans, I'm a boy and I'm a man"

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
After the Florida thing I am all for making the voting age 21.

I have lost patience with all the emotionalism. These kids are ready to throw away their liberty for security now, foolish.

HK Ag

Posts: 3505 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HK Ag:

I have lost patience with all the emotionalism. These kids are ready to throw away their liberty for security now, foolish.

HK Ag

And how to do tell some 20 year old Infantry grunt who's been breaking his hump for his country and wants to vote for HIS choice of President, that he now can't? Hmm? How does that work?

Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HK Ag:

I have lost patience with all the emotionalism. These kids are ready to throw away their liberty for a false sense of security now, foolish.

HK Ag

Posts: 13287 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post