SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How do you deal with boredom?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do you deal with boredom? Login/Join 
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Find a small hobby that keeps you entertained and see how far you can go with it.

Building electronic kits to see if you can make something that works is fun.

One of the things that keeps me busy is finding items for retail displays.

Started off a dozen years ago when a buddy asked me if I could find a three way circuit breaker (two spst built with a dpst centered in a two slot assembly).

Asked around and a lady said she could get one made. 'Well, yeah. I'm a sales rep for Square D.' Nice!

Then it got to be more specific.

'Can you find me an Underwood No. 5 typewriter from 1919 that we can use for a Hemmingway display?'

'Can we borrow your Nintendo Switch for six weeks? We'll pay you for letting it sit in a display because yours is in a clear housing and the store can't say we used one of theirs.'

'What games do you have that are rare? Island Flight Simulator? With the box? Yes, they won't have that one.'

'I have several boxes of flip flops, but we need each pair to be worn out while the matching pair stays new...'

Yes, I am currently paying several guys to wear hand made Italian leather flip flops. I get paid when they get worn out.

The extra cash I make on the side helps me get that new Sig that I don't need and keeps my mind busy as well.

It also helps fill the gas tank and get me to work in something that is not fuel efficient and I like it that way.

Posts: 9159 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll go for a drive maybe an hour or so away and take country roads that I've never been on but wondered where they went and find out where they end up.

Sometimes I'll google some small town I've never been to not too far away and see if they have a cafe I can go to have lunch.

I am a history buff and have visited several obscure and not frequented civil war and old west sites near where I live in northern Missouri and Kansas. I make a day of it.

I've always thought I was a boring person because I have interests that aren't always spectacular, exciting or worthy enough to post online. But my interests keep me busy and not sedentary I'm always finding something different to research or learn about to keep the boredom away.

Posts: 588 | Location: Missouri | Registered: September 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
"How do you deal with boredom?"

Naps. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Seriously maxdog hit many of the chords I feel here. But unlike him, mobility issues negate gym or other workouts, and I am not a musician.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16231 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
My wife and I retired in early 2015. We then would spent 7 months in NW Montana and the winters in the south. Winters suck in Montana.

We were getting bored after 50 years in Montana so we decided to sell our home and move to Saddlebrooke near Tucson. What a change. So many new things to do and see. Now, boredom isn’t a problem.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4233 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Rewired the 5.1 surround so I could play Xanadu. Had it wrong for years. I'm ecstatic.

"When people say that they would like to be immortal, they don't take into account just how the heck they're going to fill up all those centuries. Then again, if I knew I had unlimited time, I probably would be motivated to undertake complex projects. Human existence, however, has very real limitations."

Posts: 3523 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
One of my friends retired and got a part time job working in an accounting office.

He likes it, could do it remotely, and the schedule is flexible. He had a background in accounting, but hadn’t used it in 40+ years.

Might be an option.

It sounds a lot like depression, which is why I think getting vitamins and hormones tested should be the first step, if you don’t have an emotional reason to be depressed.

Get active in local politics? You’re a highly intelligent man - which means they’ll hate you, but you’re not a cupcake either.

Posts: 5741 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife has dementia and being her primary care giver I pretty much sit around all day watching Fox News or Law & Order in some variation. Once in a while trying to find something that I want to watch that she can abide.
Sorry for the downer post.

Everybody knows that the dice are loaded

Posts: 369 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
How do you deal with boredom?

Edibles? Wink

Posts: 13682 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Lol

Today is some jams …
And cleaning “stuff”
Happy ‘nuff Wink

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
I'm a little surprised. I figured we would have more respondents that overcome boredom by crawling inside a bottle of Scotch. Big Grin

In all seriousness, I've had times when I felt the same way as some others here. You loose interest in the things you once loved. I believe those feelings were directly related to my physical health. Getting more exercise always helped me.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4833 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Some of us have seen how that turns out. I didn’t end up an alcoholic, but hiding from a problem never fixes anything - and that’s all the bottle is.

Posts: 5741 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post