SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Whataburger, Wienerschnitzel, McRib, and other strange culinary delights.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whataburger, Wienerschnitzel, McRib, and other strange culinary delights. Login/Join 
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted
So, Mrs.BurtonRW and I have been in Albuquerque for the Balloon Fiesta all week. A bonus for me has been the discovery of foreign culinary delights - namely Weinerschnitzel and Whataburger.

Drove through Weinerschnitzel yesterday. Meh. Average dogs. I’m sure they’d be better if served on sticks.

I mention the McRib because I saw it on offer when we took a day trip to Roswell (because aliens - the green kind, not the illegal kind, but probably them, too) and I knew the McRib aficionados on the forum would be interested.

Now for Whataburger. I understand there is much to know about this establishment - not so secret secret menus and the like - so I figured I should ask the Forum about it prior to sampling their menu.

What should I order?

Thanks in advance. There will be balloon pictures when I get back.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16317 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
There's a place in Albuquerque called Wienerschnitzel that serves hot dogs???

That's a bastardization of a true Viennese dish!

I just returned from a trip to Austria, and Viennese sausages are NOT hot dogs! And Wienerschitzel is a breaded (usually veal), fried dish.

Tsk, tsk, tsk. Is nothing sacred? Smile

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now for Whataburger. I understand there is much to know about this establishment - not so secret secret menus and the like - so I figured I should ask the Forum about it prior to sampling their menu.

Double cheese burger with everything plus jalapenos.

You are welcome.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20395 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Monterray Melt, or Bacon Avacado burger.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 6003 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Double Green Chile burger. Be sure and What-a-size it.

Posts: 5762 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
You’ve got to have Chile Verde. It’s wonderful and it’s the State Dish. Love it. My favorite.

Biscochitos, wonderful cookie, actually the official State Cookie. Addicting delightful thing.

Get a bag of Pinion Coffee to bring home.

Blake’s Lotaburger. Pretty good for a local/statewide chain.

The balloon fest is amazing.

Posts: 11995 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Karmanator
Picture of Chance
posted Hide Post
Since you are in NM you should definitely check out Blake's Lottaburger. Try the LOTA Burger with
Green Chile & Cheese.

Also if you see a sign for Navajo Tacos - go have one.

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
Double cheese burger with everything plus jalapenos.

My standard order at Whataburger, sometimes w/o jalapenos. Onion rings too.

Blakes is good, but the two times I've been there, it took 20+ minutes to get my order and they weren't terribly busy.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17196 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
We frequent Whataburger in the winter months when we are in Florida. They don't exist in Montana so in summer, we can't get a good, fast food burger
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4279 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the breakfast on a bun

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6302 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
Here is Texas, Whataburger is a church.

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6167 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:

...I mention the McRib because I saw it on offer when we took a day trip to Roswell (because aliens - the green kind, not the illegal kind, but probably them, too) and I knew the McRib aficionados on the forum would be interested...

Yes, we are! I have not seen them around here (Davenport IA), but I'll start looking. Mrs. Sigmund is leaving me (just for a week) and I'll need nourishment.

https://mcriblocator.com/

Posts: 16020 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Any Whataburger>Blakes, at least the Blakes in Carlsbad. It’s where flies go to die.

Whataburger has a decent, inexpensive breakfast menu and free “senior coffee”.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arfmel,

Posts: 27184 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really like the Whataburger hamburgers. I order the plain basic burger because it reminds me of the burgers of the 1950s from little corner burger joints!!

Posts: 6719 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
My first encounter with Wienerschnitzel was when it was called "Der Wienerschnitzel", in Los Angeles, California. The big deal about it was the VERY cheap hot dogs, at a time when I was just moved there and didn't have much loose cash available yet. I lived on those hot dogs for about a month until my pay got sorted out. For a while, there was a "Wienerschnitzel" place here in Dallas (1980s)--they'd dropped the "Der" from the name. Haven't seen it for quite a while.

Whataburger is where I go for a basic hamburger--they are quick and tasty.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
There's a diner at the corner of US-60 and SR-12 in Datil (New Mexico 87821). 150m SW of you. Fresh ground burgers. Amazing pies. The scenic route through El Malpais National Conservation Area is recommended. Bring salty snacks and water to share with Quest Hikers you'll pass along SR-117. (Datil rhymes with wattle)

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Six Days on the Road
Picture of vandrv
posted Hide Post
If in Albuquerque, check out The Doghouse. Jesse Pinkman's hangout. Great chili dogs.

Posts: 770 | Location: The Boulevard of Broken Dreams | Registered: June 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love me some Whataburger, especially the Sweet and Spicy BBQ Burger!

I think I read that they sold the majority of the company to a Chicago based company that also owns Panera and Einsteins so i am sure it will get fucked up soon enough

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
There's a diner at the corner of US-60 and SR-12 in Datil (New Mexico 87821). 150m SW of you. Fresh ground burgers. Amazing pies. The scenic route through El Malpais National Conservation Area is recommended. Bring salty snacks and water to share with Quest Hikers you'll pass along SR-117. (Datil rhymes with wattle)

I stopped in there a couple of times for Lunch while biking thru the high country of Arizona/New Mexico. Good food and very friendly waitress. Asked about my motorcycle and where I was headed, then. (Nebraska, then East)

As I recall, very little traffic on those roads, which I enjoyed.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker: As I recall, very little traffic on those roads, which I enjoyed.

I've run from Tempe, through Amarillo, and into Kansas on US-60 and other rural highways. It is 900 miles of 2-lane splendor by the time I cut north at Vici OK or so. The couple dozen miles just west of Datil, over to Pietown, are really nice. There may be a bunch of hunting camps in that area but I'm not sure.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post