SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So, just how long have the Democrats been trying to disrupt U.S. Government ??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So, just how long have the Democrats been trying to disrupt U.S. Government ?? Login/Join 
Picture of Hobbs
posted
In a private letter in 1798 to James McHenry, his former Secretary of War (and Adams's then current war secretary), George Washington wrote ...
quote:
"You could as soon as scrub the blackamore white, as to change the principles of a profest [professed] Democrat; and that he will leave nothing unattempted to overturn the Government of this Country."

http://www.digitalhistory.uh.e...cfm?smtID=3&psid=188
https://founders.archives.gov/...ington/06-03-02-0029

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Hobbs,

Posts: 4711 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kraquin
posted Hide Post
quote:
"You could as soon as scrub the blackamore white, as to change the principles of a profest [professed] Democrat; and that he will leave nothing unattempted to overturn the Government of this Country."

In a historical context some would argue that the ideologies of the parties have flipped.

Posts: 391 | Registered: December 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Some" would simply be wrong, or lying. Democrats origins were on display in the 5/8's (Missouri) Compromise, they have been absolutely anti-constitution since. Then there was that Confederacy thing.....

Posts: 17147 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
in my recent experience here in the US, since 1991

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53206 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
As I pointed out to someone claiming the ideologies between parties had flipped.

The Democrats have managed to be on the wrong side of things either way.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
New York draft riots during the Civil War.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3451 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Few things would make me happier than a day where the democrat party no longer exists.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21118 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I don't mind so much that they exist - I just don't want them to be relevant - they should be like the 'green and purple party' - functional in name only

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53206 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
It seems history shows us that a war often cleanses some of the stain of the freedom averse social warriors. We need to crush the shame of abortion, education failure and fight for every single word in our founding documents. Take no prisoners. The lefts media needs drastic conservative overhaul...or wiped out financially.

How this happens will be up to us and the next generation...and much prayer.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Since inception.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very interesting. I had thought it was the Civil War, but didn't know that even George Washington had to deal with them.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I quit the Democratic Party when Johnson got in. He was an avowed closet racist and all around crook. My dad who was Democrat all his life became critical of the party leadership after Kennedy was killed and what the party was becoming. He would be astonished what it has become today.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Throughout history the motto of the left has remained the same:

"Create chaos to impost tyranny"

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kraquin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbs:
In a private letter in 1798 to James McHenry, his former Secretary of War (and Adams's then current war secretary), George Washington wrote ...
quote:

http://www.digitalhistory.uh.e...cfm?smtID=3&psid=188
https://founders.archives.gov/...ington/06-03-02-0029

Not sure the context is correct. Were you thinking that because Democrat is in the name that it represented the values of today's Democrat Party?
When that letter was written the Federalists were in power (Washington was a Federalist). The Democratic-Republican Party existed in opposition but was known simply as The Republican Party. It wasn't until the 1820's, long after that letter was written and after the Federalist Party had dissolved that the splinter Democrat Party formed.

Funny thing, the Federalists opposed the War of 1812, opposed the French Revolution and toyed with secession (Massachusetts).

Posts: 391 | Registered: December 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When did the Demokratic Party start putting its own interests before the interests of the country?

Despite their differences, it seems like Dems and the GOP both used to support what's best for the country. I recall the 1975 Senate hearings - led by Sen Frank Church of ID - where the Dems publically revealed CIA activities to embarass the agency and President Ford just before his reelection campaign.

Or maybe it started with LBJ and his Great Society back in 1965.

Posts: 15909 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post