SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Aircraft carrying 11 crashes in Pacific Ocean en route to USS Ronald Reagan
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aircraft carrying 11 crashes in Pacific Ocean en route to USS Ronald Reagan Login/Join 
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted
Prayers for those ate are still missing.

The Squadron that lost the aircraft, VRC-30, is based at NAS North Island and has a permanent Det based in Japan to support the Reagan.

Link

Three people remained missing Wednesday after a U.S Navy plane crashed in the Philippine Sea shortly after takeoff from the aircraft carrier USS Ronald Reagan, as early indications point to some kind of engine failure as the cause of the mishap, multiple defense officials told Fox News.

Eight people who were on board the C-2 cargo plane were rescued in "good condition" by U.S. Navy helicopters, according to a statement from the U.S. Navy's 7th fleet. The aircraft crashed about 575 miles southeast of Okinawa as it was heading from Japan to the aircraft carrier.

The Japanese military is assisting in the recovery of the three who remain missing. The eight personnel who were recovered were found less than an hour after the crash occurred. They are currently being treated on board the aircraft carrier.

The Pentagon said on Wednesday: "We are aware of the incident and it is currently under investigation."

The Navy's C-2 Greyhound is a cargo plane that delivers passengers and supplies to aircraft carriers at sea. It is a very old aircraft, having first entered service in the late 1960s. It is scheduled to be replaced by the V-22 Osprey in the next few years.

Earlier this month, the aircraft carrier USS Ronald Reagan joined two other aircraft carriers off the Korean Peninsula for the first time since the late 60s in a show of force to North Korea. At the time of the plane crash, the carrier was training with the Japanese military.

This is latest accident for the Navy's Japan based 7th fleet and comes after two separate collisions at sea this summer involving guided missile destroyers USS Fitzgerald and USS John S. McCain, which killed 17 sailors. During the weekend, another US destroyer bumped into a Japanese tug boat after the tug lost propulsion. Nobody was injured.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: navyshooter,

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10355 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
That just sucks. Frown

Prayers sent for all involved.

Posts: 7076 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sad deal. Prayers for the families.
The Greyhound has a heck of a good record especially so considering it's mission and where it operates from.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Navy's C-2 Greyhound is a cargo plane that delivers passengers and supplies to aircraft carriers at sea. It is a very old aircraft, having first entered service in the late 1960s. It is scheduled to be replaced by the V-22 Osprey in the next few years.
Oh yeah, that will end these sorts of accidents! Roll Eyes

Posts: 6516 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Well at least with the V-22, the risks of catapult launch and recovery are eliminated. Silver lining...

Just damn sad to hear...lifting up that unit and pray the lost are found in good health.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
And everyone on cruise looks forward to a good COD flight.

RIP brothers and sisters, tonight I'll drink in your honor.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14042 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
So if I heard correctly, eight of the 11 men were recovered and are ok. Three men are still missing.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30437 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Well at least with the V-22, the risks of catapult launch and recovery are eliminated. Silver lining...

My son works on the V22. He doesn't have much good to say about it.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Three people remained missing Wednesday after a U.S Navy plane crashed in the Philippine Sea shortly after takeoff from the aircraft carrier USS Ronald Reagan,

Then, in the next paragraph:

"The aircraft crashed about 575 miles southeast of Okinawa as it was heading from Japan to the aircraft carrier."

I am unable to reconcile there two statements from the article. I guess I need a nap.

Posts: 26952 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
That is a scary story. Years ago, when I worked at McDonnell Douglas, St. Louis, I got to fly aboard the Theodore Roosevelt in a C2. All of the civilian guests were given inflatable life vests, but seated in the dark cargo hold, I have no idea how we would have escaped if it went down. It was quite an experience.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
My son works on the V22. He doesn't have much good to say about it.

Wasn't saying there weren't risk with the V-22. Just saying the risk of catapult and recovery was eliminated. Wink

quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
I am unable to reconcile there two statements from the article. I guess I need a nap.

There, they're, or their?? Just yankin' your chain, sir. Hope that nap was good... Razz

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post