SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    One more reason I love baseball
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

One more reason I love baseball Login/Join 
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted
I was at a rather chilly college game the other day. 3rd inning and the home team batter fouls a 82 mph slider off his big toe. These things happen.
The umpire calmly steps around the catcher and walks a ball all the way to the mound and hands it to the pitcher. When he gets back the batter is still trying to decide if his toes are all attached so the catcher steps out and makes like he has something in his eye.

Finally everyone is corralled back behind the plate and the at-bat continues. No one says anything, most likely don't even notice,it is just part of the game.

Just one more reason this is the greatest game.

A few innings on and the away teams fouls one off his toe... and the process is repeated.

I love baseball.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3576 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:
I was at a rather chilly college game the other day. 3rd inning and the home team batter fouls a 82 mph slider off his big toe. These things happen.
The umpire calmly steps around the catcher and walks a ball all the way to the mound and hands it to the pitcher. When he gets back the batter is still trying to decide if his toes are all attached so the catcher steps out and makes like he has something in his eye.

Finally everyone is corralled back behind the plate and the at-bat continues. No one says anything, most likely don't even notice,it is just part of the game.

Just one more reason this is the greatest game.

A few innings on and the away teams fouls one off his toe... and the process is repeated.
The
I love baseball.

And that’s why I like hockey. A 100mph slap shot off the toe and no delay in the action. Smile

Posts: 3875 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
And that’s why I like hockey. A 100mph slap shot off the toe and no delay in the action. Smile

Yeah but aren’t hockey skates built on a hard, synthetic boot designed to protect the feet from the puck, hockey sticks, and from other players' skates.

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It isn't baseball that you love. It is the sportsmanship by great people that you love.

Posts: 3663 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
When I coached Baseball, if the Umpire took a hard foul ball, or a mis-directed pitch to the body (in the gear or not), my Catcher(s) were to walk the ball out to the Pitcher to give the Umpire some time to 'shake it off'...Kind of a 'Professional Courtesy' between the guys (or occasional girl) wearing the gear! Smile

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8787 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by petr:
It isn't baseball that you love. It is the sportsmanship by great people that you love.

Sportsmanship can be showed (shown?) in any game of course, but baseball moves at a pace at which fans may notice.

Unfortunately, sportsmanship, and common courtesy, is not so common.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23946 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
A welcome post redstone, especially in these days of funk.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8856 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by petr:

this is true, mostly. I fell in love with baseball when I started playing in 8th grade. I do not miss playing football, nor basketball (It was a small school and we played all three sports Smile

But I miss playing baseball.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3576 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
When I coached Baseball, if the Umpire took a hard foul ball, or a mis-directed pitch to the body (in the gear or not), my Catcher(s) were to walk the ball out to the Pitcher to give the Umpire some time to 'shake it off'...Kind of a 'Professional Courtesy' between the guys (or occasional girl) wearing the gear! Smile

^^^ This right here, when I helped to coach my sons team I taught our catchers the same thing. Its a baseball custom, one of the many unwritten rules of Americas Past time.

Posts: 3496 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Baseball is definitely my favorite sport. Though some may find it boring, I find it interesting and enjoy the strategies at play.

Unfortunately, I don't watch as much as I used to because of the politicalization of all pro sports.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38601 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HK Ag:
quote:

^^^ This right here, when I helped to coach my sons team I taught our catchers the same thing. Its a baseball custom, one of the many unwritten rules of Americas Past time.

Actually, this went both ways too...As an Umpire, if the Catcher took a hard foul ball, or a mis-directed pitch to the body (in the gear or not), after determining there was no injury, I'd walk the ball out to the Pitcher to give the Catcher some time to 'shake it off'! Of course if the Catcher insisted on maintaining an invincible 'tough-guy' image (and he didn't 'need' time IMO) I'd accommodate him, call PLAY and get into the slot! Wink

Here's a shot from my days as a LL Umpire...Ball One! Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8787 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
Hockey is the same way.

When a loved player returns as a player for the opposite team, they are honored during a TV timeout. That's how that's done but I've seen it extend into the game after the TV timeout is over.

A few years ago at a Stars game (IIRC) they honored a much-loved and retired Mike Modano with a huge a long standing ovation. 20 years with Dallas.

When the red light was turned off and the faceoff set up, the fans were still cheering. The ref didn't blow his whistle to signal the faceoff and as it was about to happen, the Dallas player noticed that his stick tape might be off and he skated out of the circle for a minute to check it out. Skated slowly, took his time to make sure the tape was well-attached. Really checked it out.

After some more cheers for Modano, the game resumed.

Hockey has lot of unwritten rules like that.

Posts: 4069 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:

Yeah but aren’t hockey skates built on a hard, synthetic boot designed to protect the feet from the puck, hockey sticks, and from other players' skates.
The actual toe box is but I have been hit on the inside of the skate (arch) and it took two weeks for the swelling to go down enough to fit any of my shoes. I have also been hit in the tongue of the skate (laces) and that was even worse.

Posts: 3875 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
quote:

Here's a shot from my days as a LL Umpire...Ball One! Cool

That made my day Smile

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Good call! Big Grin

Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38601 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Recently during a college (?) girls softball game a batter hit a homerun with the bases loaded and as she rounded 1st base enroute to 2nd base suddenly fell and being unable to get up and continue was when several members of the opposing team picked up the injured player and carried her around the bases allowing her to touch 2nd / 3rd / and home plate so that the run would count... Rules stated that the injured players team could not assist but nothing against the opposing team helping. Saw this story on the tv news with video of the other team carrying the injured player . .................................... drill sgt.

Posts: 1954 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
^^^ That makes me happy!