SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Maryland homeowner kills burlgar
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Maryland homeowner kills burlgar Login/Join 
posted
Poolesville is in Montgomery Co, northwest of DC.

https://www.wusa9.com/article/...42-b2b2-83fedc0e54af

A homeowner shot and killed a man who'd been sleeping in his basement. Police say they don't expect to charge him

Harry Trueman Powell, 34, of D.C. had been sleeping in the Poolesville basement for a while when the homeowner encountered him and shot him to death, police say.

Author: Bruce Leshan
Published: 6:01 PM EDT October 12, 2021
Updated: 6:08 PM EDT October 12, 2021

POOLESVILLE, Md. — A police spokesman told WUSA9 Tuesday that authorities don't expect to file any charges against the homeowner who shot and killed a man who allegedly broke into his house on a remote stretch of River Rd here on Monday.

Police say the dead man, 34-year-old Harry Trueman Powell of D.C., had apparently been sleeping in the basement of the home for some time without permission.

D.C. court records show Powell has a history of misdemeanors and domestic violence. But it's still unclear what he was doing here.

Legal experts say if you're inside your own home in Maryland and someone has broken in, something called the Castle Doctrine applies, and you don't even have a duty to retreat, as long as your actions are reasonable.

In this case, law enforcement sources say, it looks like a simple case of self-defense. According to a spokeswoman for Montgomery Co. State's Attorney John McCarthy, "there have been no facts developed during the course of the investigation at this point indicating there is a basis upon which charges should be filed."

There was no answer at the house on River Road Tuesday, nor any comment from a man who answered the door at ProTech Inspection in Poolesville, where an online database says the homeowner worked.

The incident played out while the homeowner was on the phone to 911.

"There's a weapon involved. It's going to be a shotgun," says the police dispatcher on a recording from OpenMHz.com. "The suspect is banging on the windows," the dispatcher relays to responding officers on the recording.

Then a few moments later, "Be advised, the suspect is in the house."

Why Powell picked the lonely house with a gun range inside and a sign outside referring to a bizarre conspiracy theory about the JFK assassination is still unclear. On Tuesday, it appeared the house might have been vacant for a while.

"The complainant is firing his weapon at the subject. There's shooting in the background as well," told the officers.

Police said Powell was inside the house when the homeowner shot and killed him.

"Please be advised, we have more sounds of shots as well," the dispatcher told officers.

The homeowner had left the house with the dead man inside when police arrived.

"Have the complainant leave the gun on the truck, be unarmed, with his hands up, at the end of the driveway at River Road," the first officer tells the dispatcher.

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
Why Powell picked the lonely house with a gun range inside and a sign outside referring to a bizarre conspiracy theory about the JFK assassination is still unclear.
Terrific Roll Eyes

Posts: 107241 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of the insurance commercial about bad decisions and idiot teens in a Friday 13th scenario that choose to hide behind the chainsaws instead of jumping in the running vehicle.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Legal experts say if you're inside your own home in Maryland and someone has broken in, something called the Castle Doctrine applies, and you don't even have a duty to retreat, as long as your actions are reasonable.

Engrish?

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
"JFK Conspiracy Theorist Shoots Harry Truman in Self Defense" --- The Not The Babylon Bee

Posts: 15839 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
Reminds me of the insurance commercial about bad decisions and idiot teens in a Friday 13th scenario that choose to hide behind the chainsaws instead of jumping in the running vehicle.
Yep. That is a stupid ad.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
There was no answer at the house on River Road Tuesday, nor any comment from a man who answered the door at ProTech Inspection in Poolesville, where an online database says the homeowner worked.

So wait, the reporter goes to some business where the guy may or may not have worked, and requests a comment from the person who answered the door.

And somehow when the guy says nothing, this is worthy of putting in the article?

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Montgomery County, MD... might as well be in NJ. The county is 99+% Demoncrat and the police have no qualms enforcing stupid shit. I lived there for 12 years and (now that I'm out of there) am thankful I no longer have to see BLM, LBGTQMXYZ and Biden flags which litter every damn street block.

Want to see how bad immigration is... don't go to the Southern border. I dare you to go into any DMV in Montgomery County and you will swear you're in fucking Latin America. Thousands of people each day and they aren't Caucasian.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
Want to see how bad immigration is... don't go to the Southern border. I dare you to go into any DMV in Montgomery County and you will swear you're in fucking Latin America. Thousands of people each day and they aren't Caucasian.

There are three major races of man, Caucasoid, Mongoloid, and Negroid. Unless your DMV denizens's skin has comparatively high melanin concentrations (which means they are Negroid), the people in your DMV are more likely to be Caucasoid (Caucasian) than Mongoloid.

Article on Evolution of Human Races at the Gene Level.

I choose to not visit the DMV as much as possible. When I do, I drive out of my way to one where the primary language being spoken is English.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31365 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
quote:

Engrish?

Yep. Even in Maryland, we finally have the castle doctrine, Believe it or not.

–Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16260 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
the problem has been appropriately solved

Posts: 53080 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
My best friend was a cop in Montgomery County, Maryland for a while. He didn't stick around long.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I lived in Maryland for nearly 20 years and didn’t know the Castle Doctrine was legal. I always thought you had to retreat. I moved in August to Florida so I don’t worry about such things anymore. And yes I hate Montgomery County.

Posts: 7337 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Journalism in 2021

"Something called The Castle Doctrine"

Why not just go with "ohmygod, theres like this thing, I think it's like a law or a rule or like something, and apparently, like, people can like SHOOT you, if you're like in their house and, like, they dont....like lt. I know, its, like super crazy."

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9671 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
So the dead guy was living in the basement for a period of time without permission?

Where was the homeowner during this period of time?

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3856 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
^^^^^

Yeah, that "period of time" is confusing. Hours? Days? Weeks?

Really crappy reporting. Third grade classroom "newspaper" is probably better quality.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30539 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
The media in this country is actively nefarious.

Posts: 1957 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
^^^^^

Yeah, that "period of time" is confusing. Hours? Days? Weeks?

Really crappy reporting. Third grade classroom "newspaper" is probably better quality.

I assume they know their audience and their comprehension abilities.

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post