SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone have luck with this evaporator coil cleaner?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone have luck with this evaporator coil cleaner? Login/Join 
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted
My AC drain line backed up last night. After setting up the shop vac to suck the shit out of the drain, I crawled under the coils and was horrified to see the filth that's collected on the coils.

Doing some quick research, the options of this type of chemical versus an air compressor versus a spray bottle versus a wire brush all have their supporters and naysayers.

Several online reviews and videos suggest this product...

THIS ONE RIGHT HERE

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9700 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Does cleaning the coil area with this type stuff reduce or eliminate condensation dripping, and drain line constipation?

My system (air conditioner, not personal) has both of those problems.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30760 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We use that same product on our dehumidifiers at work, it does a decent job for routine maintenance. If it’s truly caked up, it probably won’t do much good.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Does cleaning the coil area with this type stuff reduce or eliminate condensation dripping, and drain line constipation?

My system (air conditioner, not personal) has both of those problems.

I'm no expert, but I don't believe so. The drain line is probably due to a build up of algae.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 9700 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The dripping is the humidity that is being removed from your home . This is normal .Do NOT use a wire brush on your coils . Pour a cup of liquid bleach into the drain line every few months to kill the algae that grows there .

Posts: 4077 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
^^^

Change the filter, pour the bleach.
Keep a bottle with the filters.

And make sure where the line exits the house is not covered, or plugged.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43932 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you use a cleaner -
Check to see what the coil is made of/plated with. Some cleaners not compatible

Posts: 1409 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I reverse the shop vac, and have a pipe directly to the drain system connect an adapter to the vac hose and blow out the line, its not super high velocity air, and enough to clear out the line.

I've seen all kinds of muck, goop, and even a frog come out....

Then let it run a bit and hit it with some bleach.

Posts: 23611 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Pouring bleach down the drain line was always the recommendation, but now they say to pour vinager instead as bleach can crack the drain line. At least that is what I was told when I had to replace my entire A/C system three years ago.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8686 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
Pouring bleach down the drain line was always the recommendation, but now they say to pour vinager instead as bleach can crack the drain line. At least that is what I was told when I had to replace my entire A/C system three years ago.

The bleach and it's fumes are not good for the aluminum coils in the air handler, vinegar is much easier on them.

I use a Nu Calgon concentrate to clean air handler coils that you dilute and put in a pump up spray bottle, it is very good stuff, not sure how the aerosol is. The tri-power HD. If they're really dirty I'd go that route versus an aerosol can.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have used it for a split system I own and it cleans the coils perfectly.It is a great product for indoor usage and is not overbearing with the smell. It is lemon scented. It won't do anything for the draining like others have said, I pour bleach in the drainage line to keep it clear. I usually pour in a half cup into the split system and a cup into my home system every month.

Posts: 6918 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nobody has advocated cleaning your evaporator coils with bleach . It won't hurt to pour a cup or two down the drain line once or twice a year . I've been doing it for decades .

Posts: 4077 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Assuming the OP is talking about the coils in the outdoor unit, I used 2 cans of WEB Green White coil cleaner from Lowes for $6.98 a can. Covered the coils with foam and let sit for 5 minutes, then rinsed with garden hose with sprayer nozzle. Worked great to clean the coils. Too bad that dirty/clogged coils weren't the problem. 3-year old Lennox has a leak in the indoor coil. Frown

Before

After

Posts: 4018 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
Assuming the OP is talking about the coils in the outdoor unit, I used 2 cans of WEB Green White coil cleaner from Lowes for $6.98 a can. Covered the coils with foam and let sit for 5 minutes, then rinsed with garden hose with sprayer nozzle. Worked great to clean the coils. Too bad that dirty/clogged coils weren't the problem. 3-year old Lennox has a leak in the indoor coil. Frown

Before

After
Since he referred to a drain line , it must have been the Evaporator ( indoor) coil .

Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
It was the indoor unit. I ended up ordering the linked cleaner and I'm happy with the results. The unit is older and I won't get too much more time out of it, but hopefully this helps stretch the remaining time a little bit.

NRA Life Member

Sig Forum Smart-Ass
Picture of Rotndad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:

THIS^^^. We just had the AC Tech out to replace my air handler blower motor and that is what he said...use hot water and vinegar. The bleach, over time, breaks down rhe pvc piping..

To answer the OP's question...yes it does work fairly well. But like MattW said if thw coil is really bad it may take several application's to get it clean. Use a soft bristle brush to clean the coils. If the fins get bent it will diminish the cooling capacity. If tou so bens the fins be VERY careful if you try to straighten them. You could weaken the lines causing a leak.

When I cleaned oura last weak I sprayed from the inside out and used hot watet ro rinse the coil in the same direction. I then sprayed both sides again amd let it sit for about 15 minutes. The cleaner is "self rinsing" so aftet the secong application and ketting it sit I ran the AC and let the condensation rinse it.

It also has a nice lemon scent.

Dripping water hollows out stone, not through force, but through persistence.
-Ovid

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Posts: 10192 | Location: Land O Lakes, FLA | Registered: June 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A cup or two of bleach poured into a PVC pipe one or twice a year is not going to hurt a damn thing . This same line is rinsed down with water during normal operation anyway . Unreal … I guess all of those people with swimming pools need to stop using Chlorine because the PVC plumbing is going to crack ? No more bleach in your laundry either . Razz