SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    KIA 7 December, 1941-Funeral 20 April, 2024
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

KIA 7 December, 1941-Funeral 20 April, 2024 Login/Join 
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted
This man was from a small town about 7 miles from the small town I am from. It is possible my parents knew him when they were young, no one will ever know.

I went to his funeral this morning along with about 100 or 150 others. It was windy and cold, but it was something my best friend and I had to do. The Navy sent a burial detail and a firing squad. They did a very good job.

https://www.thecounty-chronicl...04/15/charles-brown/

Posts: 5622 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:
This man was from a small town about 7 miles from the small town I am from. It is possible my parents knew him when they were young, no one will ever know.

I went to his funeral this morning along with about 100 or 150 others. It was windy and cold, but it was something my best friend and I had to do. The Navy sent a burial detail and a firing squad. They did a very good job.

https://www.thecounty-chronicl...04/15/charles-brown/

'Under the wide and starry sky,
Dig the grave and let me lie.
Glad did I live and gladly die,
And I laid me down with a will

This be the verse you grave for me:
Here he lies where he longed to be;
Home is the sailor, home from sea,
And the hunter home from the hill.'

Requiem, by Robert Louis Stevenson.

Posts: 11329 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad he got the burial he deserved.

Posts: 960 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
maxwayne, thank you sharing this story and thank you for attending this hero’s funeral.

Posts: 6623 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One True IcePick
Picture of eyrich
posted Hide Post
Thank you for going to the funeral.

News Gazette front page story in our weekend edition.

https://www.news-gazette.com/n...89-a11a8af03f83.html

Posts: 859 | Location: IL | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Very good. In all due time. Good of you to go Maxwayne.
Surely God's light is on you for ever more Mr. Brown

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19193 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An excellent article from the newspaper. And kudos to you for attending the services.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16098 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
maxwayne, thank you for honoring Mr. Brown.

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8527 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post