SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Police say a customer was a concealed carry holder said to his wife "get down," then stood up and took out the restaurant shooter - Arlington, TX
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Police say a customer was a concealed carry holder said to his wife "get down," then stood up and took out the restaurant shooter - Arlington, TX Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted

http://www.wfaa.com/news/two-s...-arlington/436569576

Arlington police are still trying to process a horrific shooting scene that unfolded at a popular restaurant and bar.

Police flooded the Zona Caliente Sports Bar at about 6:15 after receiving calls of an active shooter. Lt. Christopher Cook said two people were killed, including the alleged shooter.

"We believe the shooter is one of those deceased who was killed by a customer in the location after the suspect shot and killed someone inside the restaurant," Cook said.

James Jones, 48, and Cesar Perez, 37, were pronounced dead .

The customer who shot the shooter had a concealed weapon on him at the time of the incident. He hasn't been identified. He told officers he had his concealed handgun license, but they are trying to confirm that information.

It also wasn't clear whether the establishment operated primarily as a restaurant or an actual bar, where carrying would be illegal.

Cook said it all began when a man walked into the bar, approached an employee standing at one end of the bar, and the pair began arguing.

“There was some type of altercation, things being said, and this man pulled out a gun and shot the employee and killed the employee," Cook said.

WFAA has learned that the employee was a manager.

After the man was killed, Cook said a customer from the other end of the bar brought out his own handgun, then shot and killed the suspect.

“He made the decision to engage the shooter, fearing there would be other loss of life,” said Cook.

A motive wasn't immediately clear, but police were interviewing dozens of potential witnesses that were inside as either customers or staff. They're also reviewing surveillance video.

This comes after the rash of violent incidents across Texas in the past couple of weeks.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
Better to be judged by twelve...

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5311 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:

It also wasn't clear whether the establishment operated primarily as a restaurant or an actual bar, where carrying would be illegal.

Stupidest law ever. And this shows exactly why.

Come on, Texas. Change this nonsensical law.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30900 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

Stupidest law ever. And this shows exactly why.

Come on, Texas. Change this nonsensical law.

Liberals will be completely blind to the irony of this situation.

Posts: 1172 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Carry is OK unless there is a red 51% sign, meaning the business derives 51% or more of revenue from alcohol sales.

Hey, these things take time. In my youth, many counties were dry, and the anti saloon law prohibited liquor by the drink, except in private clubs. That was repealed in the early '70's or so.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
quote:

Unless they had the proper signage posted, it's a restaurant. There's nothing unclear about it. Most likely it's a restaurant, most 'sports bars' are around here.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
But don't you all see? If this had been one of the places that is a prohibited location, nobody would have gotten shot! That's what the sign is for! Nobody disobeys signs, do they?

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17085 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
According to TABC database, it has a "blue" license, meaning licensed carry is lawful.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
From an updated article.
"
The customer who shot Jones had a concealed weapon on him at the time of the incident and a concealed handgun license. He hasn't been identified, and police say no charges will be filed against him".

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:

http://www.wfaa.com/news/two-s...-arlington/436569576
Lt. Christopher Cook said “He (the customer) made the decision to engage the shooter, fearing there would be other loss of life,” said Cook.

Law enforcement's viewpoint seems pretty clear from the start.

Hurrah for the good guys. Carrying the fire.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Floyd D. Barber: He hasn't been identified, and police say no charges will be filed against him".

Yes, but he is still on the hook for the $50,000-$100,000 in legal fees to straighten this out. Roll Eyes

Posts: 9023 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by Floyd D. Barber: He hasn't been identified, and police say no charges will be filed against him".

Yes, but he is still on the hook for the $50,000-$100,000 in legal fees to straighten this out. Roll Eyes
Do you have statistics for legal fees for getting a "no bill" from a Texas grand jury or are you just repeating Internet lore?

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23655 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
But don't you all see? If this had been one of the places that is a prohibited location, nobody would have gotten shot! That's what the sign is for! Nobody disobeys signs, do they?

Heavens to Betsy, no!

In Texas, the penalty for ignoring that sign is so much more severe than the penalty for premeditated murder.

I mean, if the story of the sign being ignored was made public, you might have to appear on Oprah.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32006 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Doesn't the police report absolve him of any litigation?

Posts: 5026 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
quote:

Do you have statistics for legal fees for getting a "no bill" from a Texas grand jury or are you just repeating Internet lore?

There is a LEO member on here who has made that statement at least once.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2599 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
quote:

I'm being sarcastic as hell with regard to Internet lore. I doubt he has more than a couple hours of attorney time into it, if that. Thus, the roll eyes.

Posts: 9023 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Carry is OK unless there is a red 51% sign, meaning the business derives 51% or more of revenue from alcohol sales.

Have they changed the law, or I did I misunderstand it?

My recollection from years ago was that 51% businesses were required to post the sign, but that carry in 51% businesses was prohibited even if the business failed to post the sign.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:

Have they changed the law, or I did I misunderstand it?

My recollection from years ago was that 51% businesses were required to post the sign, but that carry in 51% businesses was prohibited even if the business failed to post the sign.

I may have misstated it, but the rest of the regs depend on effective notice being given, no notice, no problem. If there is no sign, how is one to know, at least on the margin? It is tied to the TABC license.

Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
If there is no sign, how is one to know, at least on the margin?

I completely agree... I remembered hearing or reading that because I thought it was so stupid.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
quote:
quote:

Doesn't the police report absolve him of any litigation?
No.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post