SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mac OS upgrade concern
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mac OS upgrade concern Login/Join 
posted
Looking to upgrade from Mojave to Monterey.
Should I expect any issues doing this as it is a version 3 steps higher?
Or would it be better upgrading one version at a time?

Posts: 250 | Location: SW,MI | Registered: July 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Prob. not, but a three version upgrade is a pretty big step. Safer to do one step at a time, I think. Double-check that your Mac is supported by the eventual target version, macOS will gracefully decline to install on "old" hardware, so there is little risk, but it can be time consuming and frustrating to find the limits.

Posts: 6506 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
Just make sure you have a clean time machine backup before starting..

PS - the jump should be fine.

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2675 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Last time I updated the OS on my MacBook Pro, I get this message many, many times a day:

“owncloud” is damaged and can’t be opened. You should move it to the Trash."

I can still access all of it no prob. But what a pain in the ass.

Posts: 3549 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I made the same transition. Just make sure to have a good backup of your Mojave install and you can use Migration Assistant to move almost all of your Applications, files and settings. Time Machine can get messy. I prefer to use Carbon Copy Cloner to create a one-time .dmg image of the old system, mount that, and use Migration Assistant to restore it.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10790 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, did the upgrade from Mojave to Monterey direct.
No problems that I'm aware of. All App's working as before.
Now I have to learn all the things that are different or new.

Posts: 250 | Location: SW,MI | Registered: July 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post