SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Leading 'anti-racist' figure laying-off staffers and questions abound regarding funds
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leading 'anti-racist' figure laying-off staffers and questions abound regarding funds Login/Join 
posted
Is this a surprise? Fuck this guy, this clown's failure needs more exposure, much more so than the BLM idiots, this fuck and his books.

Ibram X. Kendi responds to Boston University's antiracist center layoffs
quote:
Critical race theory defender Ibram X. Kendi opened up about the decision to lay off several workers from the Center for Antiracist Research spearheaded by him at Boston University.

The Center for Antiracist Research fired at least 15 members of the center’s staff to evolve into a "fellowship model."

"The Center is evolving to a fellowship model. Dr. Kendi remains the Director. We can confirm that there were layoffs at the Center. The University and Center are committed to working with and supporting affected employees as they look for their next opportunities," Boston University PR Associate Vice President Rachel Lapal Cavallario said in a statement.

As scrutiny grew around the decision, Kendi himself referenced the layoffs on his X account Friday, insisting they were his own decision.

"A week ago, I had to make the hardest decision of my career and lay off a number of talented and committed staff from the BU Center for Antiracist Research (CAR) to ensure our long-term sustainability and impact. We are doing our best to support out affected colleagues during this difficult time of transition, and we welcome Boston University’s inquiry into the center’s operations," Kendi’s statement read.

As time went on, multiple current and former staff members of the center spoke publicly against Kendi, suggesting the problem came from mismanagement and wasting money.

"It’s pretty hard for me to imagine they blew through $30 million in two years," associate professor Spender Piston told the student newspaper The Daily Free Press. "There’s been a lack of transparency about how much money comes in and how it’s spent from the beginning, which comports with a larger culture of secrecy."

Professor Phillipe Copeland also criticized the idea that the layoffs were a result of a "redesign rather than an institutional failure, for which people need to be accountable." Other comments suggested more "mismatch" between money received and money produced.

"There’s a mismatch between the amount of money that CAR has received from these grants and what they’ve actually produced," an anonymous source told the Daily Free Press. "You can juxtapose that with other research centers either at BU or other universities that have received a tiny fraction of what CAR has received and has produced a lot more."

Kendi, however, denied these accusations.

"I made this decision not out of financial distress—as suggested by some—but to put in place a new structure that would support the mission of CAR for the long term. There will always be people who critique the job someone else is doing—but I stand by my decision to take the long view for CAR, especially when racial and social justice organizations are under attack," the statement read.

Boston University announced the launch of an inquiry into the center following on Thursday following these employees’ claims.

Despite the controversy, Kendi celebrated the "many accomplishments of CAR’s talented and committed staff" and the ongoing efforts to building more antiracist organizations.

"Leaders of color and women leaders are often held to different standards and routinely their authority undermined or questioned. But I want to live in a world where all leaders of new organizations are given the time to have growing pains and develop. I want to live in a world where we are all building and sustaining antiracist organizations. Until we build that world, the crucial work of CAR will continue," his statement concluded.

Posts: 14688 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoseyWales2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
Boston University announced the launch of an inquiry into the center following on Thursday following these employees’ claims.

Any guesses on how long it takes for Boston University to be called "racist", "oppressor", etc for launching this inquiry? Roll Eyes

----------------------------------
"These things you say we will have, we already have."
"That's true. I ain't promising you nothing extra."

Posts: 579 | Location: Missouri | Registered: October 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Kendi is a fraud. Grima Wormtongue

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29726 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JoseyWales2:
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:

Any guesses on how long it takes for Boston University to be called "racist", "oppressor", etc for launching this inquiry? Roll Eyes

Someone can explain to them how an audit isn’t technically racist, but let them try as Boston University certainly leans left themselves.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15619 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.breitbart.com/poli...under-investigation/

House Armed Services Military Personnel Subcommittee Chairman Jim Banks (R-IN) called on the Navy to apologize for propping up Ibram X. Kendi, the critical race theorist whose center is now under investigation for financial mismanagement.

“The Navy put an anti-American radical and scammer on their official reading list. Henry Rogers, better known as Ibram X. Kendi, has always been an obvious fraud and the Navy should immediately apologize to Sailors for propping up a far-left, extremist huckster,” Banks said in an exclusive statement to Breitbart News.

Boston University announced last week it was launching an inquiry into its Center for Antiracist Research, led by Kendi, after the center laid off more than half of its staff amid allegations of dysfunction and squandering $43 million in donations.

One former staff, Saida Grundy, a Boston University professor who worked at the center from fall 2020 to spring 2021, told the Boston Globe, “I don’t know where the money is.”

Former Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Michael Gilday had put Kendi’s book, How to Be an Antiracist on his recommended reading list for all sailors in 2021, after a widespread belief among the left that a January 6, 2021, riot at the Capitol had to do with racism.

Banks, a then-naval reservist, in June 2021 grilled Gilday on why he included the book, which argued that capitalism and the Navy was racist, on his reading list.

Gilday told Banks, “Here’s what I know, Congressman. There’s racism in the United States Navy.”

He had also defended Kendi’s arguments, saying, “Sir, I’d have to understand the context in which the statements were made. I’m not going to sit here and defend cherry-picked quotes from somebody’s book. This is a bigger issue than somebody’s book.”

Banks responded, “Admiral, I remain astonished that you put this book on a reading list and recommended that every sailor in the United States read it. I’m also surprised that you said you read it.”

Gilday defended Kendi, saying the book was worth reading for “his own journey as an African American in this country, what he’s experienced.”

Henry Rogers (aka Ibram X Kendi) = professional race hustler

Posts: 19603 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
People are just finally figuring out that this guy and his BLM pals were an organized bunch of grifting scam artist? Big Grin

Posts: 33867 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
"Leaders of color are often held to a different standard." Very true! Until I see some evidence to the contrary, I have to assume they are all crooks! The ones who aren't, don't call themselves "leaders of color," they call themselves "human beings."

Posts: 6509 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
"Leaders of color and women leaders are often held to different standards..."

You don't say.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
People are just finally figuring out that this guy and his BLM pals were an organized bunch of grifting scam artist? Big Grin

Some people need to see the errors of their ways Roll Eyes

In this case, seeing what little they've produced in three years, for the obscene amount of capitol that was available 'should' be enough to smack people up-side their heads and recognize the fleecing they were victims to (or, enabled).
quote:
Kendi’s center published just two research papers since its founding, the Washington Free Beacon reported . A January paper , "Association of Neighborhood Racial and Ethnic Composition and Historical Redlining With Build Environment Indicators Derived From Street View Images,” found that predominantly black neighborhoods had more dilapidated buildings than white neighborhoods. The center released a report from its "Antibigotry Convening” from fall 2021 and winter 2022 that included many intersectionality themes such as “Ageism,” "Anti-fat Bigotry,” and “Transphobia,” further confusing its purpose.

Posts: 14688 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Leaders of color and women leaders are often held to different standards and routinely their authority undermined or questioned. But I want to live in a world where all leaders of new organizations are given the time to have growing pains and develop.

Intense scrutiny and questions often happen when $30M disappears in short order with little to show for it and poor records as to how it was spent. That is simple reality for anyone.

If you want to live in a world where new leaders are allowed to spend freely with no constraints with little benefit and call it growing pains, I wish you luck finding it.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38001 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post