New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sirius radio Login/Join 
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted
So my local radio station was purchased the first of the year and while they are keeping most things the same(other the morning drive guy and the news director have turned the morning shift into a yack fest), the most egregious change so far has been the satellite feed they take after 18:00 is now pure crap. Not a lot of choices here at the house, we live in a very rural area and without an outside antenna, we get just a couple stations.. We are on a metered internet connection so streaming is NOT an option.

I'm considering getting a Sirius receiver and subscription. I know you can find just about any type of station that one could want with them. What do i need/ I looked a bit on line but there seem to be docks and receivers and they talk about porting into an audio system. I just want a stand alone receiver.

Additional y, my 2010 F150 has a Sirius button but when I searched the VIN through Sirius, they say it's not an option on my truck. Are they missing something or am I? And if my truck is not equipped but has Sync, what would I need to receive stations on the road when we travel.

And how do you squeeze a deal out of them for service? Wink

Thanks

Posts: 11223 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I know that model Ford, the button is there, but nothing else.

You can get Sirius on a computer or phone. Go to their website.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can use this for $300 that enables your Ford radio to work but expensive:
https://www.xm-radio-satellite...m-factory-radio-kit/

Or you can go the add on route for much cheaper:
https://www.raneystruckparts.c...nt=Everything%20Else

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I have no personal experience, radio is a no-go for me because hearing disability, but I googled "Sirius Receiver" and came up with a bunch of options.

As far as getting a deal on a service plan, that has been discussed here quite a bit, and the impression I get is you need to fight for it, but there seems to be no fixed rate.

I'm betting that a receiver that you buy will come with a low introductory rate for a limited time, after which you probably need to call and cancel, at which point you will likely be transferred to a "customer retention" representative, with whom you can negotiate a price. I believe that you can get it down to around five bucks / month if you're stubborn.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:

Sirius will 'give' you a free radio for your whip if you sign up with them. As for in home, if you get the 'Select' deal, you get streaming as well through an app or via computer/Xbox/Playstation/Smart TV. I'm not sure about the ins and outs of a standalone home radio. In fact, DISH TV give you a huge number of Sirius Channels on their service

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:

Sirius will 'give' you a free radio for your whip if you sign up with them. As for in home, if you get the 'Select' deal, you get streaming as well through an app or via computer/Xbox/Playstation/Smart TV. I'm not sure about the ins and outs of a standalone home radio. In fact, DISH TV give you a huge number of Sirius Channels on their service

I don't have the bandwith available to use my computer at home. If I did, I could stream a ton of stuff. Remember, I live in the bush.

And I'm not interested in Dish or Hughesnet. We have been non viewers for about 25 years.

I'm trying to avoid going to Worst Buys or Mickey Shores and getting pissed off by some pimple faced "salesperson" trying to sell me shit I don't need or want. Especially when I would have to drive an hour for that.

Posts: 11223 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
My new Ranger came with an active app. Last I used siris was very unsatisfying.

{ETA:} Granted it's been 15 years since our little kerfuffle.....

There's lots of changes that so far seem like improvement. I'll continue exploring it till they want $. You could buy that new truck & have it at fingertips Wink

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I've had it in my vehicle for years and recently they added home streaming to the auto package for $6 month total including tax/fees. Too bad you can't get that because they won't deal when you must get the receiver. You have no bargaining power. My wife kept full service XM in her office and it runs about $20 a month and that will get you a decent boombox type radio. Has about a 20' wired antenna that must be placed just so. Sound was just ok.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had Sirius since they started the service. I have 2 lifetime subscriptions that they don't offer anymore and one that is 120 a year. I would not be without it. Especially outlaw country.

Posts: 937 | Location: Greeley, CO | Registered: March 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted Hide Post
I've had it since '07 and enjoy it. I have the receiver type that docks to their car kit, or to a boombox style portable unit. The fidelity isn't as great in the vehicles as I run them via a FM modulator, but I'm OK with that. I can take the receiver and have music in the truck, or the Jeep, or in the camper. I've also been able to keep the same unit for each new vehicle I've had since '07 - I just get new car kits each time.

phxtoad

"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Posts: 420 | Location: Tempe, Arizona | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
Sirus sells a radio that can either sit in a docking station and plug into your stereo or into a dock with its own speakers.

Here is the Dock with speakers https://shop.siriusxm.com/siri...peaker-dock-sd2.html

Here is the radio https://shop.siriusxm.com/onyx-ezr-home with home kit (you will need parts of this kit with the dock.

Here is an antenna extension you may need: https://shop.siriusxm.com/50ft...tenna-extension.html

All SirusXM subscriptions now include streaming so you can stream from your phone when you aren't home.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
If your car has the ability to stream from your phone just get the app and don’t bother with receivers for your car (unless your car already has it built in.) I think it’s $8 a month for streaming only.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
If your truck has the Sirius option just without the module, I think it would be worth having the module added to be able to use the existing radio rather than adding a separate receiver.

And this is coming from someone who has used both.

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 'Radio', such as the OnyxEZR linked by lizardman above, is what receives the satellite signal. It outputs to RCA or headphone (the little, single stereo plug).
They are usually bundled with either a home kit or auto kit (or both). basically, that's for ease of install with antenna & mounts.

If your truck has an AUX input, you would probably be better off with the separate receiver to use at home & in the truck - only 1 subscription. You'd just need a home + auto kit and you'd move the 'radio' back & forth.
The 'dock' is basically a one-step connection. If you don't have a dock, you have to plug in 3 or 4 connectors (power, antenna, RCA/headphone out).
Haven't looked into it, but I'd bet there are plenty of aftermarket docks & kits that are cheaper & maybe have better features.
you won't get the radio anywhere buy Sirius.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A generous member who is local to me called me today and asked me if I wanted a new car kit and receiver that he was not using. So now i have the equipment for the truck, all I have to do is install it and obtain a subscription. Once I get that up, I will look into a dock for the house

As always, the generosity of forum members is unsurpassed. Thanks very much Scott.

posted Hide Post
On getting a deal, when you call to talk about getting it, ask then what kind of deal they would give you as you have never had the service and do not want to invest a lot of money for a year only to find out you do not like it,
Then, when it is time to renew(do not do auto renew), tell them you want a good deal or they can just shut it off. My wife has been giving them that line(we would shut it off too) for a few years.
We do have dish net tv and sometimes listen on there.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post