SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Display of license plate
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Display of license plate Login/Join 
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
It’s all about the money.

That is no doubt true, but ostensive purpose of having license plates on motor vehicles is precisely that they and their owners can be individually identified. The fact that many vehicles travel the public roadways with missing or illegible license plates without law enforcement officers’ paying the slightest attention is a deliberate mockery of the claim. It also makes it just silly to be concerned about how someone who actually has a plate chooses to display it.

I was referring more to the license plates on CMVs. The fact that a plate costs $2,500 per vehicle defeats the idea that it is just about identification. It is mostly another type of tax on commerce disguised as an identification mechanism.

I do believe the plate serves a more useful purpose on POVs.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8273 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
But its OK to ignore mufflers?

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18394 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Not on the vehicle, not lit... I'd be just giddy writing him a violation.

Seriously?

Seriously.

Dumb people are dumb. But smart people thinking they're being smart, is really dumb.
I have a very low tolerance for people being "cute", thinking they're being "smart", thinking they're getting one over. Another auto related "cute" that gets me is tinted license plate covers. Now ANY covering on your license plate is illegal here, technically even an outside frame. But WHY does your license plate need a tinted cover? Does the bright sunlight hurt your licenses plate's eyes? You're intentionally obscuring your plate number. MAYBE you're doing it because you think it looks good and for no other reason, but you're still intentionally obscuring your plate number.

Other than the dealer reason above or something similar, for sure. Same with the guys who mount them almost flat under the fender so you can't actually read them.

The plate on the back reminds me of the idiots I see wearing their helmet up on top of their head like a hat! "I'm legal, I'm wearing my helmet." (Uh... yeah, but safety aside, you look like an idiot! Did you really think that was a better idea than wearing it normal?) Or guys who ride with their helmet up on their arm. (though the face opening or through the strap) "I'm wearing my helmet". Uh yeah, sure genius.

Posts: 21345 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does it physically have to be attached to the bike?

Technically yes.

Reality's, who cares? Except when the backpack is removed the bike will appear unregistered. One bag appears to cover the standard area the plate would be located. Right now it's visible.

quote:
one of several years with a side mounted license plate,

Never remember the Sportster ever having a factory vehicle mount to the plate. My friend's 74 was horizontal right up to the point it fell off. AMF quality

Looks like a CO plate which requires horizontal in the statute. Also requires "attached to the vehicle". My former home state of NJ did not specify vehicle or horizontal..only permanently attached.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5806 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
There's lots of little technically's when it comes to plates.
Can't be too low of too high either. 4x4 guys will often mount them up high which is also against DOT regs. (I needed to relocate mine and the easiest place was above the rear window, but I didn't think it "acceptable". Looking into it confirmed my suspicions. Not needing bait for fishing trips, I didn't do it.
Put it somewhere else, with a lot more work. Roll Eyes

As for bikes, I've often wondered who's doing the state inspections. No mufflers, no directionals (even no brake lights, just screaming pull me over) plates mounted side ways. flat or outright hidden.

Posts: 21345 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post