SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Display of license plate
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Display of license plate Login/Join 
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted

I’ve never seen this application before. What happens when he parks the bike and goes inside to shop? So, is it legal? Does it physically have to be attached to the bike? I like his creativity for sure though.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10988 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I know it’s not legal in Georgia.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 4012 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
So, is it legal?

I can't believe it would be.

quote:
I like his creativity for sure though.

There are different kinds of creativity. Creative and clever:

Creative but stupid:

Posts: 28645 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Not on the vehicle, not lit... I'd be just giddy writing him a violation.

Posts: 21345 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
In NC it must be attached to the vehicle.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11459 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Scenario: That appears to be a Sportster, one of several years with a side mounted license plate, look at the turn signals and the light strip in the fender curve above the rear tire. I'm going to make the assumption that it broke off as it is plastic.

Now three to four days for a replacement bracket, might be his only transportation, whatever. I could see that happening, those were pretty flimsy IMO.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8380 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rock Paper
Scissors
Lizard Spock
Picture of James in Denver
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
... might be his only transportation, whatever...

Doubt that... Here in CO, we had a bunch of snow a few weeks ago, a warm patch or 2, but in the freezing zone overnight.

Going to my work, there's still hard packed ice in the road on the side of the buildings that block the sun.

No idea about the plate, but MC riders hop out when it gets warm just to "stretch their legs" a bit, but back-in the bikes go in a few days. We're expected to have some accumulation over the weekend.

I remember riding my k-bike (beemer) in Jan and Feb in Colorado... before I sold my bike.

James

----------------------------
"Voldemorte himself created his worst enemy, just as tyrants everywhere do! Have you any idea how much tyrants fear the people they oppress? All of them realize that, one day, amongst their many victims, there is sure to be one who rises against them and strikes back!"
Book 6 - Ch 23

Posts: 4484 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neel
posted Hide Post
It would be frowned upon in this area.
But then again, my traveling down the road with a JD manure spreader behind a 1941 Alice Chalmers tractor that's never seen a license plate in it's life doesn't even warrant a second look.

Posts: 559 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Cops here would not bother with that if nothing else going on, or at least they used to wouldn't. I got stopped once for no tag displayed on an old car I had. Had the tag in the car just hadn't put it on, mounting place was busted. Cop just said at least stick it in the window and let me go.

Collecting dust.

Posts: 4173 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
This falls under:

Not my circus
Not my monkeys

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Who would care about something like that? At least it’s a plate and displayed in a legible manner.

I gather that many people pay no attention to license plates, because as I drive, I have seen literally countless examples that could result in someone’s being pulled over for not having one, or not having it displayed in a visible manner.

The first group are (again, the countless) SUVs with huge bike and luggage racks on the back of the vehicle that totally obscure the license plates. If the police cared about that, there would be lines miles long at the sides of roads with vehicles being stopped for that reason.

The other group consists of various types of commercial trucks whose plates are obscured with dirt, located in a place where they can’t be seen very well, or are simply not there. If I were a traffic cop, I could spend my entire existence pulling those vehicles over, but the only time I see the police interacting with vehicles like that is if they’ve broken down or been in an accident.

It’s one of my quirks that I notice and remember license plates very often, but I don’t know anyone else who does. When I was a dispatcher, having someone call in a complaint or report related to traffic that included a complete plate number was so rare, that I actually remember them. Plates are fine for helping the police when a vehicle is contacted for some other reason, but that’s all. They could be placed on a vehicle under a cover that the officer had to open remotely, and it would have no effect on anything in modern American life. But now we’re going to give someone grief for not having the plate attached to the motorcycle? Roll Eyes

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47678 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted December 13, 2019 07:39 AM Hide Post
Who would care about something like that? At least it’s a plate and displayed in a legible manner.

Yeah, I’m with you on this one.

I’m slightly more concerned about the double homicide a few days ago.
But I’ll give the rider an “A” for effort!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8522 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
The other group consists of various types of commercial trucks whose plates are obscured with dirt, located in a

The license plate isn’t really that relevant on a CMV for identification. The real identification is the required DOT number, company name, and Unit number on the door/hood. The license plate on a semi is only on the front anyway in most states, except for Washington. The license plate on the front mostly lets them know you’ve paid your $2500 a year IRP fees. It’s all about the money.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8273 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:

The world would be a safer place Roll Eyes

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Not legal here. Biggest issue I see with it from a practical standpoint is it's not lighted (I work nights, so I like to be able to see plates), and what's he do when he parks the bike?

If I wasn't busy doing something else, I'd likely stop him and have a conversation about it. Probably wouldn't cite him, unless he decided to be a raging butt-hole. IMO it's a lot better than the guy who tapes his temporary plate up inside his heavily tinted rear window where you can't even see it's there, much less read it.

Posts: 9188 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Looks like a hipster bike where they cut back the fenders (or remove then all together) for "the look". Then they have to get creative about mounting the plate.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7261 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
It’s all about the money.

That is no doubt true, but ostensive purpose of having license plates on motor vehicles is precisely that they and their owners can be individually identified. The fact that many vehicles travel the public roadways with missing or illegible license plates without law enforcement officers’ paying the slightest attention is a deliberate mockery of the claim. It also makes it just silly to be concerned about how someone who actually has a plate chooses to display it.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47678 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
its gotta come in handy when you just hot wire any bike that you happen to be in the mood for

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55177 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:

Seriously?

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25674 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
In the 80’s a Harley dealership manager in NY used to attach a dealer plate to his lower back with bungee cords around his waist instead of bolting it on. Needless to say Billy got pulled over by just about every cop in the area, but only once each. Nobody wrote him after learning why and subsequent encounters involved friendly waves. There were more than enough real bad guys to keep us busy.

Posts: 6960 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post