SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The IRS and the Eighth Amendment
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The IRS and the Eighth Amendment Login/Join 
posted
The Supreme Court takes up a case of a $2.72 million fine for a taxpayer’s error.

Navigating the labyrinth that is the U.S. tax code can already feel like punishment for ordinary taxpayers. But the real punishment comes when Americans face oppressive penalties from the Internal Revenue Service for innocent filing mistakes. That may be about to change. The Supreme Court hears oral arguments Wednesday in Bittner v. U.S., a case that could ease excessive punitive measures from the IRS.

Alexandru Bittner, a Romanian-American dual citizen, nonwillfully failed to file five foreign bank account reports, or FBARs, with the IRS while living in Romania between 2007 and 2011. Taxpayers fill out annual FBAR forms if they have “foreign financial accounts exceeding $10,000.” When Mr. Bittner moved back to the U.S., he discovered this responsibility and had his certified public accountant file these forms to the IRS. The IRS responded by imposing a $2.72 million penalty even though there were no allegations of tax fraud or any additional taxes owed.

In Bittner, the court will have to determine how much in penalties Mr. Bittner must pay. The tax code imposes a $10,000 penalty per nonwillful violation of this statute. Mr. Bittner argues he had five violations—one for each missed FBAR—bringing him to $50,000 in fines. The government wants more, arguing he had 272 violations, one for each unreported account during the five-year period.

The consequence of ruling in favor of the government would be severe. Roughly nine million U.S. citizens live abroad and another 45 million are foreign-born. Any of these Americans could hold foreign bank accounts for a variety of reasons: to send money back to their family, to give themselves easier access to funds when visiting or to hold the inheritance of a deceased family member. The IRS’s standard $10,000 penalty has the potential to ruin these Americans’ financial lives.

Subscribe
But Mr. Bittner’s case has a good chance at changing the standard. The Eighth Amendment prohibits the government from imposing “excessive fines.” A $2.72 million fine for a nonwillful mistake is the definition of excessive. Any vagueness on the penalty standard should be decided in favor of the taxpayer and against the government since the government wrote the law.

Not every foreign bank account is a vehicle for tax evasion, and the IRS shouldn’t be able to impose huge fines for honest mistakes. Instead, the agency should collect the tax, plus interest, and move on. The Supreme Court can bring some sanity to an already-bewildering tax code.

Mr. Nix is a law clerk and Mr. Martinez a senior attorney for the National Taxpayers Union Foundation.

WSJ Opinion: The Middle Class Will Be Targeted in IRS Audit Crackdown

Review & Outlook: Analysis from the Congressional Budget Office, Syracuse University and the National Taxpayer Advocate suggest Democratic Party claims that only high earners will be squeezed in the IRS audit expansion are false. Images: Getty Images Composite: Mark Kelly
Appeared in the November 2, 2022, print edition as 'The IRS and the Eighth Amendment'.

LINK: https://www.wsj.com/articles/i...y-nonwillful-filing-

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ya think?
I would bet on it.

Posts: 22910 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:

Ya think?
I would bet on it.

If you don't do itemized deductions, they won't have much to work with while they're cracking down on you.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you don't do itemized deductions, they won't have much to work with while they're cracking down on you.
This. ^^^^^^^

Given the higher standard deduction, I don't believe many Americans itemize anymore. That makes taxes relatively simple and less of a target for the IRS.

Now, maybe those with all sorts of tax credits...who knows.

Posts: 9042 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Given the higher standard deduction, I don't believe many Americans itemize anymore. That makes taxes relatively simple and less of a target for the IRS.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Not an option for me being self employed with lots of business expenses. I was assessed a 16 thousand dollar penalty for failure to file a one page form on time. I was living in a Federal Disaster area and EVERYONE got more time to file taxes. That took a year to sort out. I ended up not having to pay, but you can guess how I felt. I sure hope that the Supreme Court agrees that these penalties are draconian.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
When the rebellion begins, the IRS should be near the top of the list of targets

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11285 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Yep. Still waiting on my 2020 refund.

Yes, 2020.

Only reason for the refund is because my CPA told me the wrong amount to write the check for by $2k, but that’s a different aggravation.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Not an option for me being self employed with lots of business expenses. I was assessed a 16 thousand dollar penalty for failure to file a one page form on time. I was living in a Federal Disaster area and EVERYONE got more time to file taxes. That took a year to sort out. I ended up not having to pay, but you can guess how I felt. I sure hope that the Supreme Court agrees that these penalties are draconian.

Business expenses go on Schedule C; itemized deductions go on Schedule A. Two different things.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19664 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:

If you qualify for itemized deductions and you follow the rules, why not? It's like leaving money on the table for the government to take.

The story in the OP is about FBARs which is a separate requirement and not part of the income tax return process.
A non-willful failure to file is (I'll take the article's quote) $10,000. If the penalty the IRS is trying to impose $2.72 million, even at $50,000 for each year, that must have been a lot of accounts he's had. Willful violations carry the greater of $129,000 or 50% of the account balances along with criminal penalties.

What's not covered in the article is whether the person also filed Form 8938 which IS a part of the income tax process. If he did, that would surely mitigate his noncompliance on the FBARs but there is still the question of how many accounts did he have.

I know these issues because I was planning to be an expat for a while. Maybe it's just me, but I think you'd want to have just about everything planned out before living overseas with regards to finances, health, etc.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19664 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Business expenses go on Schedule C; itemized deductions go on Schedule A. Two different things.

^^^^^^^^^^^
Yes. You are correct. As you can tell a CPA does my taxes.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
If the penalty the IRS is trying to impose $2.72 million, even at $50,000 for each year, that must have been a lot of accounts he's had.
but there is still the question of how many accounts did he have.

According to the article:
quote:
The government wants more, arguing he had 272 violations, one for each unreported account during the five-year period.

If you read it one way, it could be that he had 54-55 accounts per year for each of the five years. (272 divided by 5 years = 54.4)

If you read it another way, he had a total of 272 different bank accounts over a 5 year span.

Either way, that sure is a whole lot of bank accounts...

Posts: 32512 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^
Yep it is. Most folks though do not know about the HUGE penalties that can be levied by the IRS. For example, not correctly calculating the Required Minimum distribution from a retirement plan is 50 PERCENT. These penalties are not intentional maneuvers, but simple mistakes etc.

hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Fuck the IRS. These idiots just sent me back my 2021 return that I e-filed because they say I didn't sign the form. They were kind enough to send me three other tax payers returns in the same envelope. I called the other three people to explain the IRS error and sent them their corrections letters. The IRS is corrupt and incompetent.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post