SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Impatient Mom Pulls Gun On Slow Barber, Sentenced to 6 Months
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Impatient Mom Pulls Gun On Slow Barber, Sentenced to 6 Months Login/Join 
Picture of John Steed
posted
How fast does a haircut have to be?
What if the guy did a crappy job, would she shoot him?

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- A Cleveland mother will spend six months in prison for pulling a gun on an Ohio City barber because he took too long to cut her 7-year-old son's hair.

Andrea Smith, 31, argued Tuesday with Cuyahoga County Common Pleas Judge Brendan Sheehan during her sentencing hearing, claiming that the barber pulled a gun on her first.

Sheehan paused the hearing and watched surveillance footage from the incident. He scoffed while watching the video and said it never showed anyone pull a gun except for her.

"This is all on video tape," Sheehan said. "There's no evidence" that the barber pulled the gun.

Smith previously pleaded guilty to a fifth-degree felony charge of attempted carrying a concealed weapon and misdemeanor charges of aggravated menacing and child endangering.

Smith said on April 14 that she searched the city for barbershops that were backed up because of the upcoming Easter holiday. She found a barber willing to cut her son's hair at the Allstate Barber College on Lorain Avenue near West 26th Street in Ohio City.

She said the barber insulted her parenting because her son was unable to sit still during the haircut and pulled a gun on her.

"He came up to me four times about my son moving in the chair," Smith said. "That's what it was. I'm not that type of person. I did not just go up to him and point a gun at him and say 'you're taking too long.'"

Smith apologized for pulling the gun, but said repeatedly she did so because she feared for her child's safety.

Assistant Cuyahoga County Prosecutor Michael Lisk said no evidence existed that showed that Smith's child was ever in danger. He said that Smith got mad that the haircut took too long, pulled out a gun in the busy barbershop and threatened the barber.

"I got two clips. I'll pop you," she said, according to prosecutors.

"This was an incredibly dumb thing for the defendant to do," Lisk said. "She wasn't forthright up front, and what's worse is she made these accusations against the victim."

Defense attorney Catherine Meehan said that Smith has since lost her house, job and custody of her four children. Smith had no significant criminal history and a probation department investigation found her at a low risk to re-offend, Meehan said. Meehan argued for probation for Smith.

"I'm not a troublemaker," Smith said, before being led from the courtroom in handcuffs.
Link

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2154 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Well if a barber is taking too long, what can you expect?

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17533 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
How could ANYONE EVER think that this is normal or acceptable or in any way sane behavior ? Imagine the environment she must live in where she thought this might be a good idea..

Does she live around people who pull their gun at the slightest afront or reason ? She must.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Well, there goes her Mensa membership.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15527 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Defense attorney Catherine Meehan said that Smith has since lost her house, job and custody of her four children.

Live with your poor life choices, bitch. Didn't think it through, did ya?

Posts: 9232 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SkyOtter
posted Hide Post

------------------------------------------------------
There are two types of people in this world: Those who need closure,

Posts: 2561 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: June 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:

quote:
. . ."I got two clips. I'll pop you," she said, according to prosecutors. . ."I'm not a troublemaker," Smith said, before being led from the courtroom in handcuffs.

I wonder, just what was the mental process that led to pulling a gun and how to people get to that state of mind?

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:

I wonder, just what was the mental process that led to pulling a gun and how to people get to that state of mind?

The process is ferality, the behavior of feral animals. Feral animals have no sense of community, even in species that exhibit communal behavior. It is a purely "take what is mine" behavior.

How to fix it? I'd guess 10 generations of good education, instilling the basic ethos of the larger community (and not letting them develop their own), and hard work in a true meritocracy might do it.

Basically spend three times the money and time doing the exact opposite of Johnson's Great Society fuck up.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31962 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
"Little Nefchevious need his hair cut NOW muthafucka! Imma bust a cap in yo ass!!"

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16133 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

quote:
. . ."I got two clips. I'll pop you," she said, according to prosecutors. . ."I'm not a troublemaker," Smith said, before being led from the courtroom in handcuffs.

Maybe it's a cultural thing.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I nearly pulled a gun on a bank teller this morning who took 20 minutes to do something that should have taken five.

But I didn't.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53226 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Smith said on April 14 that she searched the city for barbershops that were backed up because of the upcoming Easter holiday.
Terrible writing-this reads as if she deliberately sought busy barbers.

Posts: 5783 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:

It is most certainly this.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15781 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I nearly pulled a gun on a bank teller this morning who took 20 minutes to do something that should have taken five.

But I didn't.

If you did I'm sure you would've received a large sum of money in return... Big Grin

Posts: 13281 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
it wasn't a haircut, it was a "close shave"

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
But think of the children. Now the little tyke has half a haircut and what barber in Ohio is going to touch him? He might have an auntie for all we know. Jeesh!

Posts: 6489 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Floyd D. Barber:
quote:
quote:

quote:

When the sole coping mechanism for dealing with differences in your culture is violence, this is the kind of behavior you get. That is at the very heart of Black on Black violence that the liberal academia, politicians, and media refuse to address.

As an aside, she is truly fortunate there was not an armed citizen or off duty LEO in that barbershop when she pulled that stunt.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4371 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
No kidding HayesGreener!!! This is what dear Andrea would have experienced had she pulled that crap in my barber shop...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
"He came up to me four times about my son moving in the chair," Smith said. "That's what it was."

This woman needs more than 6 months, even if the barber was criticizing her parenting, you don't pull a gun you nit wit.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3645 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
quote:

...the behavior of feral animals....no sense of community..."take what is mine" behavior.

How to fix it? I'd guess 10 generations of good education, instilling the basic ethos of the larger community (and not letting them develop their own), and hard work in a true meritocracy might do it.

Basically spend three times the money and time doing the exact opposite of Johnson's Great Society fuck up.

quote:
...Maybe it's a cultural thing.

My question was semi-rhetorical, those are quite good answers, and likely a very good solution, although I hope it could be done in only a few generations. Problem is, a goodly portion of the "culture" openly rejects that solution.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post