SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New Weber Grill - need a grill cover, are they all crapy ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Weber Grill - need a grill cover, are they all crapy ? Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted
I just bought a new Weber propane grill. Since it's not under a roof I need a grill cover. ALL the covers I've ever owned were not durable, they all fell apart after a year or so of rain and hard sunshine.

I'm guessing Weber makes covers for their grills, but given the better quality of Weber grills over junk grills, does that equate to their covers as well, or are their covers no better than any old generic shit grill covers from china or anywhere else ?

Are there any special materials or brands in grill covers that stand out in the crowd ? Or is everyone doomed to shitty grill covers that fall apart after a year or two of hard weather and UV rays ? Or do grill masters just replace them every year or two as a normal maintenance wear item, like changing oil in your car ?

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8906 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Check with your local upholstery shop.

A piece of Sunbrella cloth is very durable and attractive. They may have a remnant piece.

They can make one up quickly.

Posts: 11964 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had good luck with this one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d...pop_mob_b_asin_title

It is Chinese made, but the first one lasted 7 years. Protected my grill well. So when it finally wore out, I ordered another one.

<40$ for 7 years works for me.

Posts: 1079 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Weber cover has lasted for years and is still going strong. I’m guessing about 15 years now. I have a new Weber grill that I bought this year. The old one is only used for clam bakes now, and still has the original Weber cover.
Like their grills, they make a quality product.

Posts: 183 | Location: Long Island, NY | Registered: December 19, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
I need a grill cover.

I've never needed one. Hand me down one lasted 20 years and was working fine when I replaced it. Current one is 15 years. If I can get 15-20+ years use out of it without a cover, it doesn't make sense to me to waste the money on a cover. Plus I hate taking off/putting on covers.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21094 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Weber brand grill cover is at least ten years old and doing well. I will always have a cover. My last grill rusted out after about 15 years because I did not have a cover.

Posts: 5784 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
My Weber brand grill cover is at least ten years old and doing well. I will always have a cover. My last grill rusted out after about 15 years because I did not have a cover.

My grill is now 28 years old. I've changed the burners (cast iron) twice on one side, 3X on the other. It's always been covered and shows no rust.

These are pretty good:

Classic Accessories Terrazzo Water-Resistant 64 Inch BBQ Grill Cover, Grill Cover, Grill Cover for Outdoor Grill, BBQ Cover

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B...emc_s_m_5_i_atc&th=1

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24554 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:Classic Accessories Terrazzo Water-Resistant 64 Inch BBQ Grill Cover, Grill Cover, Grill Cover for Outdoor Grill, BBQ Cover

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B...emc_s_m_5_i_atc&th=1

Same brand I got seven years ago from Amazon. My grill is under a short awning for rain cover, but it still gets a little wet and full afternoon sun every day. It doesn't look new, but it's still in great shape.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2563 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
The first Weber cover we had was crap. We bought another as it had changed and has lasted years, exposed in SW Utah.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3454 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
My Weber branded cover is holding up just fine and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

JP

Posts: 2074 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Weber cover. Mine’s over 15 years old and still doing its job just fine. Don’t know if their current covers are as robust as those from years ago though, so YMMV.

Posts: 1219 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jprebb:
My Weber branded cover is holding up just fine and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

JP

Same here. Mine is a little over a year old now and like new. It's a pretty heavy duty thing.

Posts: 7387 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mt webber-branded cover is tough as nails. However, if the weather is the least bit cool, it becomes stiff as a board and a pain to work with.

The most effective safety is between your ears

Posts: 240 | Location: Eastern Nebraska | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bob ramberg
posted Hide Post
My Webber grill cover is not squirrel proof, apparently. They chewed a hole through the top!

Bob
Carpe Scrotum

Posts: 1384 | Location: Democratic Peoples Republic of Madiganistan | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A Weber cover for a three burner grill will set you back a hundred
but the quality is tippy-top.

-------------

The sadder but wiser girl for me.

Posts: 1061 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get some 303 protectant and regularly spray whatever cover you get. It will dramatically extend the life of any outdoor material. Is basically sunscreen for your stuff.

Posts: 748 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PeteF:
I have had good luck with this one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d...pop_mob_b_asin_title

It is Chinese made, but the first one lasted 7 years. Protected my grill well. So when it finally wore out, I ordered another one.

<40$ for 7 years works for me.

I 2nd this one. We have had one on our Weber for probably 5 years now.....no complaints.

Posts: 724 | Location: Maine | Registered: October 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
We've had this one since 2018, and it's still in good shape:

Yukon Glory Premium Grill Cover

Posts: 18337 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I bought a Weber grill center (almost all construction is Stainless steel) about 5 years ago, it came with a cover that I never used.
On previous grills I always kept them covered and found that the iron parts would rust out from the trapped moisture.
I use the grill often through out the year so moisture gets burned off frequently.

Posts: 4682 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Weber grill cover lasts pretty well for it's price.

Posts: 21406 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post