SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    On Bourbon Street, video shows police shooting wrong-way driver
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

On Bourbon Street, video shows police shooting wrong-way driver Login/Join 
posted
Good job by the LA state troopers who have been added to improve security in the French Quarter. The link oontains very clear video of the incident and more details as to what happened.

Surveillance video shows a Louisiana State Police officer shooting his gun at a motorist who was driving the wrong way on Bourbon Street in the French Quarter. Fox 8 television said it obtained the recording from Felix’s restaurant.

In the video, two troopers are seen trying to stop a Kia Forte on Thursday evening (May 30) in the 200 block of Bourbon. State Police said the troopers had been helping deploy traffic bollards for the nightly closure of the street.

As the car moves up Bourbon, which is a one-way downriver street, the troopers run to it. The car continues, with one trooper putting his hand on the vehicle, backpedaling and drawing his gun. State Police said the troopers were ordering the driver to stop.

State trooper shoots man driving the wrong way on Bourbon Street

Paramedics picked up a man and placed him into ambulance at Bourbon and Bienville streets around 7 p.m.

Just before the car hits a set of bollards, the trooper aims his gun at the driver’s side window, which then shatters as if struck by a bullet. Pedestrians scattered.

Wounded in the midsection, the driver was taken to a hospital in stable condition. Police have not publicly identified the driver.

LINK: https://www.nola.com/traffic/2...rong-way-driver.html

Posts: 17258 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I was told, many years ago, that if you blew under the legal BAC limit in NOLA, the cops would take you to a bar. I guess that policy is no longer in force. Drunk on Bourbon St? Who would have thought?

Posts: 6496 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/51Y_iKAclsQ

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20836 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I wish they would do that here, but it's almost always on the freeway and the cops don't know about it until it's too late. Seems we have a fatal wrong way driver crash in Phoenix about once a month. I don't get it. It's an epidemic here.

Posts: 3545 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RoboV
posted Hide Post
I'm sick and tired of going to work in the quarter. I'm so fed up I'm thinking of starting a thread about the quarter in the "What's Your Deal" forum".

Most of my complaints have to do with foot and vehicle traffic.

A few weeks ago I parked on Burgundy street and started on foot to an atm service call. I was crossing the street in a cross walk. There was a SUV coming down the street, not going too fast, heading my way. I have the right of way and there's a stop sign waiting for the vehicle. I can see it's a lady driving the vrhicle and sure enough it looks as though she doesn't see me and isn't going to stop. I get out of way and sure enough she goes right past the stop sign without stopping.

The funny thing or not so funny thing about this is there was a state trooper standing right there. I told him, "Did you see that? She ran right through the stop sign, she almost hit me!" His reply was 'Some drivers here are crazy." I almost told him and should have that that he should have ticketed her. I guess they only hand out tickets or shoot when your going the wrong way down a one way street.

"Lion Heart is all heart, Smarty Jones is all out!!!"

Posts: 621 | Location: Destrehan, La. U.S. | Registered: October 22, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
I wish they would do that here, but it's almost always on the freeway and the cops don't know about it until it's too late. Seems we have a fatal wrong way driver crash in Phoenix about once a month. I don't get it. It's an epidemic here.

It’s the way the freeway entrance lanes are designed. Different than anywhere else I have lived. The left turn lane begins before the exit. Gives you the opportunity to go the wrong way down an exit ramp.

The red circle is the beginning of the left turn lane for Northbound I-17. The blue line shows how it would allow you to turn onto the exit ramp for southbound traffic.
The green line is where most intersections start the left turn lane.
Yes, common sense and paying attention makes certain you don’t go the wrong way. That said, we all know that doesn’t happen nowadays.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4029 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post