SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Man Cave Mission Creep
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Man Cave Mission Creep Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
Retired, now. Finances seem to be in pretty good shape. Time to do something about that nasty, really poorly-done, spider-infested room in the corner of the basement.

Yes, it's time to create my Man Cave

Knowing me, SWMBO was concerned it would get out of hand. "Nah," sez I, confidently. "I'll do most of the work myself. Couple thou, max. Maybe three."

Project green-lighted.

So far there's $550 in glass block replacements for the three old windows. Got $700 in ceiling tile material and carpet squares sitting in the garage. Looking at paying an HVAC guy $450-$500 to "raise" the heating duct and cold air return. (I'm tall.) Estimate $400 in insulation, wood and wallboard for the walls. $200 for a rotary hammer drill and another $50 for an angle grinder.

Coincidentally, there's $2k. There'll probably be another couple hundred in incidentals. Then there's the reloading bench. But I'm still more-or-less w/in budget.

Then this shows up when I remove the visquene-backed-cheap-panelling-tacked-to-poorly-anchored-1x3s that was on the walls...

*sigh* I could have known. And, unlike the other crack: This one's obviously occasionally leaking water.

Just signed a contract to have it, and another crack I've been meaning to address since I bought the house, remediated. Five epoxied staples per crack to stabilize them and high-pressure polyurethane injection sealing in each: $1300.00.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is not "mission creep" and does not come out of the "man cave" budget! That is just a newly discovered routine maintenance item. You still have $1k to spend on the cave by my calcs. It's in the bylaws...

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
I agree with Strambo, routine household maintenance, you're well within budget!

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you had not started your man cave you would have never noticed that extreme danger to your home. I mean the whole thing could cave in.

Posts: 1172 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can convert a used fridge into a multi-tap kegerator for well under $1k btw. Just sayin'...

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
That is not "mission creep" and does not come out of the "man cave" budget! That is just a newly discovered routine maintenance item. You still have $1k to spend on the cave by my calcs. It's in the bylaws...

This is the correct analysis. Thank goodness you started your project and discovered this crack.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53235 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Everyone is RIGHT!!

This crack repair must come out of the normal day to day financing for "Upkeep of Domicile".

That is the rules.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11455 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Not only that, but you deserve a bonus for finding this fixable problem! Say an extra grand in the Man Cave budget so you can continue your mission to improve the "sustainability" of your home. Wink

Posts: 18343 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Interestingly enough, my wife, who I love more than life, itself, said "That's not a Man Cave expense. It'd be there either way. It's a good thing you're doing the Man Cave, or we might not have found it."

I don't deserve that woman

Still: An unexpected and unwelcome expense.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^She's a keeper^^^^^

Take that woman out for a lavish dinner.

Posts: 430 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: June 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Not finding that would have allowed it to deteriorate causing more damage at a larger repair cost so I would submit that your man cave actually has saved you money.

You should extrapolate that savings over time and add the projected gains into the budget for the man cave.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3899 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
OR you could've just bought a really fancy kegerator and put it in front of the crack.

Out of sight, out of mind! Cool

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Blessing in disguise, as whatever amount is spent on that wall section technically is routine maintenance and not man cave expenditure. Be sure to deduct that amount from SWMBO's budget oversight!

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6391 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
Not finding that would have allowed it to deteriorate causing more damage at a larger repair cost so I would submit that your man cave actually has saved you money.

You should extrapolate that savings over time and add the projected gains into the budget for the man cave.

Sounded eminently reasonable to me, so I put that argument to the family CFO...

She gave me a steady look, laughed and said "Nice try" Big Grin

I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
Most of that shouldn't count against the man cave budget. It's repairs that needed to be made anyway.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:

Really? You threw my line of bullshit out on the table? Either you aren't very bright or you are just desperate.

Fortunately it sounds like she thought you were just making a joke.

NEVER EVER take anything we say here seriously. We say this shit here because we know better than to try saying it at home. 9 years here I just assumed you knew better.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3899 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:

Really? You threw my line of bullshit out on the table? Either you aren't very bright or you are just desperate.

Fortunately it sounds like she thought you were just making a joke.

That's because I clearly was just making a joke.

Even after 25 years of marriage she can't always tell. This time she could tell Smile

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great woman. Congrats on 25 years of marriage!

Keep posting pics of the man cave as it progresses. I have plenty of unfinished space in the basement myself.... and could use the ideas.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24570 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Remember, most of this is a home improvement that adds to the resale value of the house so it should be considered an investment.

Posts: 9791 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
Sounds like a great woman. Congrats on 25 years of marriage!

Thanks! She is. Better than I deserve--that's for sure.

quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
Keep posting pics of the man cave as it progresses. I have plenty of unfinished space in the basement myself.... and could use the ideas.

I'm probably not going to do that and here's why: Maybe it's coincidence, but, whenever I do a project and document the progress in pictures, Things Go Wrong. Sometimes Horribly Wrong. Dunno why. It just is.

So I'll take some, but only at the completion of major milestones. Mostly to document what things look like in the areas that will be covered.

I do wish I'd remembered to take a couple pictures of the room after I emptied it but before I started demo'ing it. The sheer crappiness of the job the original homeowner did had to be seen to be appreciated.

quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Remember, most of this is a home improvement that adds to the resale value of the house so it should be considered an investment.

That has occurred to me.

This will actually be quite a nice room when it's all done, I think.