SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question for folks knowledgeable of AK drums
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for folks knowledgeable of AK drums Login/Join 
posted
A work friend, knowing I was a shooting hobbyist, asked me “considering quality,cost, ease of loading, and 75-100 round capacity, what drum by which manufacturer would I recommend”.
I had no answer having never owned one or even been in a conversation about it.
So.....I present the question to my knowledgeable Sigforum friends.
Considering his parameters, what would you suggest and as a bonus, where is a good place to buy from?
Many thanks and regards,
Eseaton

Posts: 2476 | Location: E. of Mississippi River | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Short answer is, drums suck.

Posts: 21109 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Short answer is, drums suck.

End of thread right here.

Posts: 13746 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Outside of a novelty or for fun at the range they have little real-world use. If it's for fun go for it.

If he thinks this is a great option for real-world oh shit times I would suggest moving along.

75-100 rounds of ammo makes a AK a little heavy also.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16406 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I like the hinge back Chinese style.

Edit: I think that there are Korean and recent Romanian copies of the hinge opening style, but I have no experience with those.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Voshterkoff,

Posts: 9977 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got one for my AR, works well, but makes the gun HEAVY!! Only way it would be useful is with the gun laying on something. I'm a small guy and it would be tough to hold freestanding.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
I like the hinge back Chinese style.

This. I have one drum, and have had it for about 20 years. Truth be told, I never really use it. They are really only beneficial for a fixed position.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15611 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UpTheIrons
posted Hide Post
In my AK experience, cool, but limiting.

Like stated up-thread, very heavy when loaded and not easy to change in a hurry. I could not imagine a long march through terrain having to carry a combat load of them. That and the drum I was using seemed to not like slow, semi-auto fire and had a tendency to jam up and need some attention way to much.

Bear in mind, any rifle equipped with one will need a bi-pod of some sort or a shooting rest since the fully loaded weight throws off the balance substantially and makes non-prone firing tiresome.

I can see why drums are used in RPDs or SAW type applications as your need for full auto fire seems to be what these are designed for. I would guess when using them full auto, the jamming or hang ups have less chance to happen as the spring mechanism is in constant use and not dealing with frequent stops.

“I used to be totally into Steve Vai and Joe Satriani and other shredders, and I tried to emulate what they did and really grow as a guitarist,” Mr. Hanneman said in “Louder Than Hell.” “Then I said, ‘I don’t think I’m that talented, but more important, I don’t care.’ ”

Posts: 1726 | Location: Arizona Territory | Registered: February 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Have one of the Romanian drums that I got a million years ago. Literally used it once.

From what I have read, the "top loaders" are more reliable than the "back loaders", for obvious reasons, but stuffing 75 rounds into a mag from the top is challenging and time consuming, to say the least.

That said, I'm probably off to find an AR-10 drum, now that you've got me thinking about it. Roll Eyes

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I know absolutely nothing about them. But iirc watching the video. The murderous duo from the comblock in LA used them in their rampage before being taken out thankfully.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19222 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
That said, I'm probably off to find an AR-10 drum, now that you've got me thinking about it. Roll Eyes

Oof. Let us know if you find any good deals.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post