SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Value of Bottle of Van Winkle 12 year
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Value of Bottle of Van Winkle 12 year Login/Join 
posted
I have a gentleman that is interested in a bottle of Van Winkle 12 year Lot B that I have. It was purchased in December 2016 if that matters.

I have looked online and prices are all over the place. I asked him to make an offer but has declined and keeps saying give him a price. So here I am. This is just an acquaintance (friend of a friend's friend).

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,

Verne

Posts: 55 | Location: Middle Tenn | Registered: November 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Van Winkle 12 year Lot B

Link

Tell him a grand, show him the link,

Posts: 23593 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
$1,000 seems pretty steep.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30435 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
$1000 seems like a bargain when you see the 2016 listed for $3K on this site ... and it's out of stock !!! ... https://caskcartel.com/product...-old-bourbon-whiskey

Elsewhere, I've seen it listed for $900 to $1300. Van Winkle's suggested retail price when they release a new batch of Special Reserve 12yr old? ... $80 ... https://www.courier-journal.co...ns-worth/3929786002/

So this is a case where there isn't much product to begin with and even less after a few short years. It all comes down to what someone is willing to pay ... or let it go for.

Posts: 4730 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ubique
Picture of TSE
posted Hide Post
If you could forward a small sample I would be able to come up with a more accurate price, but $1000 seems reasonable considering the market.

Calgary Shooting Centre

Posts: 1496 | Location: Alberta | Registered: July 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
Funny story involving the exact same year and vintage Pappy's that I had. So my biological mother (who I hadn't seen for 30+ years) came visiting for a couple of weeks from Australia. Well while I was working during the day, apparently she was "sipping" my Pappy's (as it was the only alcohol in the house since I normally don't drink and was saving it for a special occasion) to pass the time while I was gone during the day. I didn't even notice because it normally just was sitting on a kitchen shelf.

Just before she left she mentioned how much she enjoyed the taste of the Whiskey and apologized for drinking the entire thing over the two weeks, but would be happy to buy me another. She was rather shocked when she found out how much it was worth! Her words were "No wonder it was so good!" Whatcha gonna do!? I just told her I'm glad she enjoyed it.

Posts: 4351 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Xer0:
Well while I was working during the day,

Mine's the 21 year with a 1997 date. Big Grin And I keep it along with my A H Hirsch locked in the gun safe, along with other valuables like my ammo.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18389 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have drank all mine, it was good, but not a Grand good.
I would rate it with the other $60-100 bottle.

Make it count

Posts: 1415 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: November 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had Van Winkle before so drinking this one is not a big deal.

Now I'm very glad I asked. I was leaning towards $800.

Thanks again and I will let you know what he says.

Posts: 55 | Location: Middle Tenn | Registered: November 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 12yr is currently selling for $600-$650 on the black market sites. Stores advertising higher prices might sell for higher prices if the right customer walks in or orders online but those higher prices are wishes. If bottles were actually selling at that price they would be sold and no longer available online. If you listed at $600 on the black market sites it would sell within the hour. $650 might take a day. One auctioned at day ago for $625. These were moving at $450 less than a year ago. The market has gotten increasingly stupid since summer.

Posts: 4284 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Let us know how your sale goes!

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
The 12yr is currently selling for $600-$650 on the black market sites. Stores advertising higher prices might sell for higher prices if the right customer walks in or orders online but those higher prices are wishes. If bottles were actually selling at that price they would be sold and no longer available online. If you listed at $600 on the black market sites it would sell within the hour. $650 might take a day. One auctioned at day ago for $625. These were moving at $450 less than a year ago. The market has gotten increasingly stupid since summer.

I've seen as high as $800 on secondary (which is insane) but yes the stores priced over that are out of their minds. I've been blown away by secondary pricing this year. I'm hoping the bourbon bubble bursts soon it's out of control.

Posts: 1183 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
keeps saying give him a price.

That's a negotiating tactic that gets old quickly, IMO.

Whoever gives a number first in negotiating gives away information. It's an offer, and the other side gets the option to accept, while it's very hard for the number-giver to change in their own favor.

So this is just an old hand, probing for weakness, IMO. If someone proves willing to give that first number, it says they are more involved than the other side, and that gives information also.

I never respond directly with a number to questions like this, usually respond with an oblique question, along the lines of 'what are you seeing in the market?'

The question asker has the power. Always be asking. Wink

Posts: 15037 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
As per above, offer at $1K and expect 800.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12450 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
$1,000 seems pretty steep.

Maybe start out higher, the price on the link was $1200.

Bet if the OP starts with that amount the guy will say, "be serious give me a real offer" meaning he wants you to drop the price before making a counter. It's a tactic to get you counter offering yourself without him even showing his hand, at this point he's still uncommitted...

If he does, just tell him "I don't negotiate with myself, if you are serious then show me with a valid reasonable offer, if "Friend" hadn't said you were interested it wasn't for sale, so if you really want it, make an offer and let me see how serious you are.."

He'll either offer up a price or walk...

Posts: 23593 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
quote:
keeps saying give him a price.

That's a negotiating tactic that gets old quickly, IMO.
Real damn old. If it were me I'd throw out a high number and raise it $100 every inevitable dumb ass comment made. Life is too damn short to put up with "friends" of friends of this ilk.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23329 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ox190:

I've seen as high as $800 on secondary (which is insane) but yes the stores priced over that are out of their minds. I've been blown away by secondary pricing this year. I'm hoping the bourbon bubble bursts soon it's out of control.

A completed sale? That's bonkers. The bubble ain't popping any time soon. I've been telling people these are the good old days for about 3 years. Think it's bad now? Wait until global demand jumps exponentially.

Posts: 4284 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I don't know what it is worth, but since he is the one who wants to buy, I say he makes the first offer. If you want to sell, and he insists you go first, make your opening demand high, but not stupid high. If you want $700, ask for $1000. Bargain from there.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I'm changing my answer. I'd go silent on him and wait for him to come to you. If he wants it he will, if not you should put it back in the safe and wait for a nearby SigShoot.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12450 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Won't it likely be worth more next year? And more the year after? Etc.?

My thought was the same as HRK's: Tell him $1200 and refuse to negotiate with yourself. (I like that turn of phrase. Never heard it before.)

You're in the catbird seat, being as he approached you. Make the most of it.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post