SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Help identifying a spider
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help identifying a spider Login/Join 
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted
My friend was out camping in central AZ, near a river. This spider was found in the tent. Does anyone know what it is?

photo url

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4030 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I can confirm, that is a spider.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20840 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Looks like a suicidal spider. He/she has lost the will to live and crawled across your friend's tent in hopes of camper assisted suicide.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23313 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I realize there may not have been an opportunity to place a tape measure or other object pf known size next to it for scale, but how big was it? It looks superficially like a huntsman (family Sparassidae). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huntsman_spider

Posts: 28005 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Yep. It's a Central Arizona near river tent spider, on his last legs.

Final answer.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43920 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Yellow Crab Spider? Not aggressive, rarely bite, but bite can be painful.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
Boris? Wink

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8532 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 28005 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing Hobo spider. It looks as if it has 2 mandibles....

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Noah,
This site should be of help

https://spideridentifications....s/spiders-in-arizona

Looks to me like the hobo spyder

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16253 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I still think it looks like a yellow Crab Spider.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Doesn’t look like a hobo or a crab spider; it does bear a passing resemblance to a huntsman- what is the approximate size?

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15619 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
...but how big was it?

Itsy bitsy.

Posts: 9168 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
quote:
...but how big was it?

Itsy bitsy.

Or, gia-fukkin-normous!!!

(for those that have difficulty with volume-effectrificazation and the such as....)

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43920 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
It's best to place your hand next to it and take a pic so we can determine the size.

Posts: 7424 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
quote:
...but how big was it?

Itsy bitsy.

On the water spout?

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29726 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You didn't get penetration
even with the elephant gun.
Picture of cheeze
posted Hide Post
Huntsman

DONT TREAD ON ME

Posts: 2249 | Location: AZ | Registered: January 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NOT compromised!
Picture of SIGWALLY
posted Hide Post
Since he is wearing fluorescent orange, I think Huntsman is correct...

Posts: 1527 | Location: Tampa Bay, Florida | Registered: July 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
You guys are disappointing me. Where is the SF attention to detail?

Everyone knows that there are 18 screen holes per inch on regulation tent netting!

The rear right leg of this spider lines up on the mesh, and clearly traverses 18 screen holes to the body.

Diagonally across the body, which is about 12 mesh squares, we see the very long second leg. It measures 32 mesh squares in length.

32 + 12 + 18 = 62 squares. 62 / 18 = 3.4 inches.

Ipso facto, this spider is big enough to cover the palm of the average human being.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5061 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chbibc:
Boris? Wink

Nah! Boris was black and shiny, very sma-all.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5293 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post