SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New Shingles vaccine
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Shingles vaccine Login/Join 
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted
Shingrix was in limited supply for quite a while, but now it is generally available. If you are not vaccinated, you might ask your Doc about it. Just a heads up. Shingles sucks.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:
Shingrix was in limited supply for quite a while, but now it is generally available. If you are not vaccinated, you might ask your Doc about it. Just a heads up. Shingles sucks.

And amen to that, adults 50 and older. Just be aware that Medicare won't pay for it currently, so employee, private health insurance or supplement, which usually do - 2 dose series, generally $200+ for the series, and worth it.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:
quote:
And amen to that, adults 50 and older. Just be aware that Medicare won't pay for it currently, so employee, private health insurance or supplement, which usually do - 2 dose series, generally $200+ for the series, and worth it.
I think it was $145 for the two shots at Publix, when I asked on my wife's behalf.

I can not have the shots. After getting hit with Guillain Barré a few years ago, my doc says most vaccines are now off limits for me. No shingles shots, no pneumonia shots, no flu shots.

I used to have the flu shot every year. Doc now tells me to be anal about washing my hands frequently during flu season, he tells me that is the best protection for me.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30677 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
quote:
I think it was $145 for the two shots at Publix, when I asked on my wife's behalf.

I can not have the shots. After getting hit with Guillain Barré a few years ago, my doc says most vaccines are now off limits for me. No shingles shots, no pneumonia shots, no flu shots.

I used to have the flu shot every year. Doc now tells me to be anal about washing my hands frequently during flu season, he tells me that is the best protection for me.

Good to know, and pays to shop around if you're paying the tab. Another quirk of the system is that physicians frequently won't administer it since it's not covered by Medicare, but some insurance companies will pay for it only if administered in a doctor's office - good to confirm before you get a bill. I can only scratch my head....

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I got vaccinated for shingles the first time ever this year, after seeing the terrible suffering a friend went through with a bout of shingles.

Man, my shoulder was sore for ten days, but way, way better than getting the shingles.

Posts: 13681 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I had both of mine a year or so ago after knowing a few people that got Shingles. I want nothing to do with what they went through.

Posts: 3455 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I received it at a VA facility in Youngstown Ohio about 3 months ago. Wasn’t charged anything for the two shots.

Sgt. USMC 1970 - 1973

Posts: 411 | Location: Columbiana, Ohio  | Registered: May 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
quote:

Good to know, and pays to shop around if you're paying the tab. Another quirk of the system is that physicians frequently won't administer it since it's not covered by Medicare, but some insurance companies will pay for it only if administered in a doctor's office - good to confirm before you get a bill. I can only scratch my head....

Hopefully our Part F Humana will cover the cost.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^
Sadly, the answer to this question is no, unless you have a prescription plan. The shingles shot is not be covered by Medicare Part A or Part B. Unlike other vaccines, it can only be covered by Medicare prescription drug plans (Part D). ...

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
A recent thread on this subject.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/5780011164

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8958 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I don't know of anyone on both sides of the family that got shingles. Most of them lived to their 90's or older.

Some died in their 60's and 70's due to cancer from working at DuPont and stress.

I have seen families that had a lose of a youngster or immediate family member and they developed cancer within 10 years or less and died.

I will pass since I never get sick and who knows what they put in the vaccines that is not good for you.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post