SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cataract Surgery Post-Op Eye Drops
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cataract Surgery Post-Op Eye Drops Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
Have any of y'all who have had cataract surgery, had any adverse reaction to the post-op eye drops?

I had no problems, it was easy sailing for me.

My poor wife had her first eye done this past Wednesday, and the thrice daily drops are really bad for her. Immediately after putting the drops in, and for at least an hour after, her eye feels really irritated, and she says that it feels like there's a medium size boulder in the outer corner of her eye.

The people at the eye clinic tell her that this is normal, but I never experienced anything like that in either eye.

I know that it must be pretty bad, because she is a tough broad with respect to pain tolerance; sometimes she doesn't even bother with novocaine (lidocaine) at the dentist.

Hoping that one or more of the SIGforum eye docs will chime in.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30698 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I read an article a few days ago about eye drops that were recalled because they were contaminated with germs. A couple of people had an eye removed because of it.

I was going to post about it but didn’t because I didn’t want to be ridiculed by 12131.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8977 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
The problem eye product has been identified and you can be sure the eye surgery centers aren't using them.

And yes, the drops can feel quite gritty, almost like sand. You should have been issued a general eye drop to help with the problems your wife is having. My wife and I had little problem with the grittiness, my brother-in-law is having problems.

FWIW I was told the first round of drops is antibiotics and a steroid, the second just a steroid.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8351 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
What are the drops?

Posts: 2939 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcereuss:
What are the drops?

EzriCare Artificial Tears, maybe others?

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8351 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I had zero issues. That was about 15 years ago so maybe the meds have changed.

I know they are considered essential. Somehow my pharmacy got the impression I didn't want to pick up a prescription because of expense. This of course was nonsense as the copay was about $15 as I recall. Anyway, the pharmacy called my surgeon and they offered to pay for it because they really wanted me to take the drops.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcereuss:

What are the drops?
Trimethoprim Sulfate / Polymyzin B, 3 times daily for first week, then discontinue.

The next two are 3x daily for weeks one and two, then 2x daily for week 3, then once daily for week 4, then discontinue:
  • Prednisolone Acetate

• Ketorolac
The clinic -- Filutowski Eye Clinic, probably the largest in Central Florida, specializing in LASIK and cataract -- has their own cocktail of drops that they offer as an option, an all-in-one mixture, so the patient just needs to deal with one bottle of drops instead of three. This was what I used for my cataracts at that clinic, but it was not recommended for my wife because there was a question about her possible allergy* to the antibiotic in the eye clinic's compound, so they gave her the Rx for three separate components, which we obtained from the local Publix pharmacy.
*Possible allergy: It was maybe ten years ago that we were visiting the kids in Ohio, and my wife went to the ER with a kidney stone. They administered an antibiotic via IV. Her arm got swollen in the vicinity of the IV. Not sure whether it the swelling was caused by allergy to the particular antibiotic, or whether it was because the ER dude really fumbled the IV (he did a terrible job). Because of the possibility of allergy, the eye clinic doc decided against using their compound and prescribed the three meds, with a different antibiotic.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30698 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
I’ve had the rare (think less than 5 in 26 years) patient experience an allergic reaction to polytrim (the first drop mentioned).

The prednisone is a suspension, and some “budget” formulations seem to have larger…granules…of the active ingredient than the brand name medication.

Not sure if this helps, but it’s some insight.

Posts: 2939 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information, Doc.

She took an allergy pill containing 10 mg Loratadine and things seem to be quite a bit better.

Re the prednisone, I'll check on the brand name and see if it's available. The head pharmacist at our local Publix pharmacy is a good dude; he goes out of his way to take care of us.

This is the one that she has. I think that I see more than one brand name. If there is a specific one that you suggest, I'd appreciate either a reply here, or to the email address in my profile.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I didn't have any issues like that in either eye. I did have some irritation for 2 or so days post up which was increased a little by the drops. I didn't feel a boulder as noted.

I had a friend with a similar experience due to a reaction to the specific type of drop. They had to adjust and he was fine.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37983 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are several drugs that do the same thing and are proscribed interchangeably.

They found another problem after the cataract surgery and that is when I had a discussion about the different drugs.

Talk to your surgeon about changing to a different drug.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I had the surgery in both eyes a couple of years ago and don't recall any problems with the drops.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had cataract surgery on my right eye in December - the doc said I could use artificial tears if they were dry. I didn't have any issues with the same (individual) meds so never used that bottle.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1748 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

My poor wife says that it feels like there's a medium size boulder in the outer corner of her eye.

I don't know about normal but it certainly is common. The incision made during the surgery is in the temporal side of the cornea and can be either gaping slightly, be edemetous, or be missing some adjacent epithelium, all of which will feel like a boulder especially after being hit with an eyedrop that differs from tears in pH or tonicity. 24 hours should make a big difference. Lubricating drops, like Retaine or Systane, will help but use no sooner than two minutes after the offending drops.
I know that it must be pretty bad, because she is a tough broad with respect to pain tolerance; sometimes she doesn't even bother with novocaine (lidocaine) at the dentist.

Hoping that one or more of the SIGforum eye docs will chime in.

Light bender eye mender

Posts: 412 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: July 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had cataract surgery in both eyes last year. First in July, second in September. Used three prescription eye drops for three-four weeks, one to three times a day. Had no problems such as you desribe. I don't remember even the mild stinging the doctor warned might be an issue.

Posts: 2694 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
I had my cataracts done in Jan. and Feb. of 2020. No problem with the drops.
Had pretty involved eye surgery on one eye in Jan. of this year to include 12 suture’s in my eye. Multiple drops again but no problems with them.

Posts: 1224 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
I had cataract surgery about 2 years ago. Same Dr. did both eyes for my girlfriend. He did the Dropless surgery on us. We had no problems glad we didn't have to do drops.

Posts: 13021 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post