SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Calling Appliance Brad, Assault Weapon Ban in Michigan
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Calling Appliance Brad, Assault Weapon Ban in Michigan Login/Join 
posted
The title says it all. I just saw on my facebook feed that someone is introducing an assault weapons ban. Brad mentioned this at election time. My question is what is the chance that this will have legs? What, if anything, can be done to stop it? Writing my reps will not have much effect, I am in a deep red portion of the state. I believe Dixon won buy almost ten points here.Thanks in advance

Jim

Posts: 1341 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seamus
posted Hide Post
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/...6544&mibextid=Zxz2cZ

This is the bill. Unfortunately, I believe it will pass. I sure hope I'm wrong.

"Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough."

-Mark Twain

Posts: 416 | Registered: January 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Keep an eye on Bianchi, et al. v. Frosh, et al., (USCA 4, No. 21-1255). It's a challenge to Maryland's AWB which failed pre-Bruen and was denied cert by SCOTUS, but remanded to the Fourth Circuit for review in light of Bruen. In fact, oral arguments are scheduled for this morning (12/6).

We're on the verge of having our AWB ruled unconstitutional. A Fourth Circuit ruling doesn't help MI directly, but SCOTUS has given the federal courts their marching orders, so it should be much easier and more efficient to challenge AWBs in other circuits.

Fingers crossed.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16273 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sure hope you're right Burton

Jim

Posts: 1341 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
TANSTAAFL
posted Hide Post
Me too.

Posts: 715 | Location: Baltimore til I can get out of there. | Registered: June 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Odd that I haven't yet seen anything about this from MCRGO

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did see it in a MCRGO feed.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pal:
"MCRGO feed?"

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seamus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by Pal:
"MCRGO feed?"
Facebook feed most likely.

"Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough."

-Mark Twain

Posts: 416 | Registered: January 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read the bill. Targeted mainly at the AR. And you can grandfather yours only if you register it with MSP and renew the registration every 5 years.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16117 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I read the bill. Targeted mainly at the AR. And you can grandfather yours only if you register it with MSP and renew the registration every 5 years.

How generous of them. Frown

Posts: 22940 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
So they can subsequently confiscate them in the next step.

Because you know there will be a next step.

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Since the bill’s sole sponsor is out at the end of the month, doesn’t it just die?

I’m no expert on the legislative process in Michigan, but are there not a whole lot of steps that happen in between a bill being introduced just last week and having to turn your guns in? Roll Eyes

Posts: 11005 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not to negate the efforts of this bill but did anyone notice how clean a Bill can be made if they want it to be? They all should be this clean!!

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1366 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually missing many details. Bills like this shouldn't be out there just like his proposed bans on open carry of rifles and shotguns. no thought to the implications or implementation.

Posts: 250 | Location: SW,MI | Registered: July 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post

This morning's oral argument in Bianchi v. Frosh (the Maryland AWB case, kicked back to USCA4 from SCOTUS) starts around 2:03:10.

The female judge (Thacker) is an Obama appointee. The two men (Niemeyer & Richardson) are Bush and Trump appointees.

Interestingly, Brian Frosh - our lame duck Attorney General - was in the room, but let one of his Assistant AGs handle the argument. We're all speculating that he knows his precious 2013 AWB is going down in flames and didn't want that to be his last oral argument.

This will undoubtedly provide framework for subsequent appellate arguments on AWBs.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16273 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

WOW. I bet the unlawful element on the streets are really worried this bill might pass.

Oh, wait.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
WOW. I bet the unlawful element on the streets are really worried this bill might pass.

Oh, wait.

We need to stop them from being called "Assault weapons"
In legal hands they are "Defensive weapons" (Majority)
Only in criminal hands are they "assault weapons" (Very small %)

Unless we allow them to make us all criminals
What part of "shall not infringe" don't they understand?

“Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.”

John Adams

Posts: 317 | Location: Land of 10000 Taxes | Registered: March 19, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Assault weapons are select fire and thus NFA and already regulated within an inch of their lives.

Let's remember that.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
The current session is winding down with about a week to go. This version of the Bill won't see committee. However, it is all written so the Blueback will go in and it will be re-introduced in January.

With the Dems now controlling the Michigan House, Senate and Governor, we knew these Bills were coming. There is going to be a flurry of them. the real key is to concentrate on the ones that have chance of passage. the other is to hope that many of these simply will not pass muster in light of Bruen.

What I do expect to see is some form of "Universal Background Check" nonsense that will pass. They will build on the current pistol permit system. Expect to see more firearms require registration. And look for the exemption to registration granted by a non resident CPL from another state be codified out of existence.

Elections have consequences. And some of those consequences go back to Rick Snyder and his refusal to sign gun Bills and the legislatures spinelessness in being unwilling to override vetoes from a governor of their party.

Posts: 11230 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post