SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Walking shoes for size 13/4E, needing a wide toe box???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Walking shoes for size 13/4E, needing a wide toe box??? Login/Join 
Picture of 2tonicP220
posted
I have worn New Balance shoes for decades, but the last few pairs I have tried are cut too small, and too narrow as to rated width, where before they seemingly fit to size/width for a very long time. Too narrow a toe box is really a big problem, as is the sole too small for the upper; a lot of my foot bulges over the sole, and it feels like I'm walking on ice skates.

Maybe I'm not finding the right NB shoe, or perhaps there are much better choices to consider? I don't run anymore, just walk pavement if that helps. Thanks for your suggestions.

Posts: 2049 | Location: NW PA | Registered: March 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Brooks makes excellent running/walking shoes for folks with wide feet.

They also have different models specifically for those with high or low arches.

I wear a 12.5 3ishE, and have flat feet.

Posts: 32547 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
Good info...11.5 x 4+E

I joke I have dock pilings for feet...

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Brooks makes excellent running/walking shoes for folks with wide feet.

They also have different models specifically for those with high or low arches.

I wear a 12.5 3ishE, and have flat feet.

I was going to say Brooks too. I have a wide foot, and I didn't even have to buy their wide size for a good fit. They run wide.

Posts: 11395 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
Keen.
They have a wide toe box and several styles that work great for walking.

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1353 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Another Brooks fan. In Brooks, I wear a 14 and there is plenty of room in the toe box.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36843 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P-220:
Another Brooks fan. In Brooks, I wear a 14 and there is plenty of room in the toe box.

Brooks-the ghost 9 is on sale right now and they are a great cushion shoe. You don't have to be a runner to enjoy the comfort.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Minnow:
Keen.
They have a wide toe box and several styles that work great for walking.

I bought a pair of Keens a couple months ago and I'm still trying to get used to them (how big the toe box is).

Posts: 21121 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I work in a shoe store, if you use to like New Balance, try the 928 version 3, they had complaints when they changed to version 2 so they just came out with version 3 at the beginning of May. The pedorthist & I were comparing them & while they look almost identical, they do fit "roomier" & you can get them up to 6E (super wide), they come in black, white, or brown. The new Brooks Ghost 9 does seem to fit a lot of people well too. Or try an OrthoFeet sneaker, or the SAS Tour Mesh.

Posts: 537 | Registered: March 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
http://www.bignwideshoes.com

They have shoes for my elephant feet.

10.5 9E.

I've been 100% satisfied.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31478 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2tonicP220:
I have worn New Balance shoes for decades, but the last few pairs I have tried are cut too small, and too narrow as to rated width, where before they seemingly fit to size/width for a very long time.
I agree. All my shoes (walking, running, boots, slippers), including New Balance, are size 9.5 D. I tried some NB running shoes recently and had to get 9.5 2E.

Sorry, I don't have a recommendation on wider shoes/brands.

Posts: 4820 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the Brooks Dyad 8 in 13 4E. First pair of Brooks and I'll be getting another. They've held up for about a year but definitely need to be replaced now. I'm pretty hard on shoes so I'm happy they've held up well.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You know that New Balance has different lasts (that fit differently), right? And they sometimes change lasts between model updates?

Posts: 529 | Location: Alaska | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post