SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What condition did this person experience, and what triggered it? *** (Answers and Winner in OP) ***
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What condition did this person experience, and what triggered it? *** (Answers and Winner in OP) *** Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
I meant to add that this is a Karma.

First correct answers to both questions wins. Must be to both questions. Take as many stabs at it as you want. Consult anything and anyone you like.

Prize: A $500 donation to your favorite charity. If you have more charities than one you want to donate to, you can choose to split, all summing up to $500.

** Added info (6/22/24) **: There is no light sensitivity, eye pain or itchiness. Vision is not affected. The corneas, irises (or irides), pupils and retinae are all normal (unaffected). There are no problems with the eyelashes and eyebrows.

#1 - What is the condition?

#2 - What is the specific trigger?

** Final info (6/23/24) **: Photo of the same person’s eyes taken 36 hours post-incident. At this point, the condition was about 99% resolved. No medical treatment was rendered, not even OTC.

I’ll let this run until someone gets both answers correct, or until Independence Day, whichever comes first.

*** 4th July, 2024 ***

ANSWERS:

#1 – The condition/diagnosis: Conjunctival chemosis – Swelling/bubbling of the clear membrane that lines the white part of the eyeball (sclera) and the inside of the eyelid.

#2 – The trigger: Running +.

There’s a little clue in the first two pics (especially the right eye pic) that suggests the patient has just finished exerted himself heavily - the glistening sweat droplets. I was hoping to see if anyone on here has this same condition that is triggered by running that I have experienced for years. But based on the answers, it appears that no one has. And, apparently, it’s not a common thing at all (the trigger, that is), as internet searches (Google, Bing, Brave, DDG) yielded nothing really. There is a little Google’s AI blurp mentiong “strenuous exercise raising eye pressure and disrupting healing after eye surgery” as a cause, but it doesn’t apply here (see below).

It never happened at rest, only during prolonged physical exertion. And, it’s not just any physical exertions. It only happens during running, starting typically 2 to 3 miles in of a 5-mile run. I can physically exert myself sweating profusely working in the yard, and it would never happen. It’s always the running, and only the running. But here is the the damnest thing. It doesn’t happen on every run. There are stretches of periods when it happened 80% of the time, and there are stretches when it’s down to 20%. So, it seems there must be at least one additional factor that has to be present with running to trigger the chemosis. And what it is, I haven’t yet figured out. Hence, “Running +”.

I know it’s not food or medication related. I almost always run fasting. Used to take allopurinol but no longer. No eye surgery. No injuries, no eye rubbing. No pets. Had dogs, but they all went to doggie heaven a while ago, and I still have the problem. Hot (summer) or cold (winter) makes no difference.

Typical environmental allergies that give you the itchy red watery eyes (allergic conjunctivitis)? Like ragweed, pollens, or any pollutants/irritants? None of those. It can happen on low count days, on calm clear days, and even indoor treadmill running. There is no itchy red eyes typical of allergic conjunctivitis. Another fact pointing to not a typical allergic conjunctivitis is, ophthalmic or oral antihistamines have no effect on preventing it, or lessening it once it happens. So, I no longer use/take them. The condition self-resolves fairly quickly, so it’s not an infection.

WINNER: I know no one got both answers correctly, but I went ahead and picked the first person who got at least one correct answer, conjunctival chemosis, and that person, unsurprisingly, is our SIGforum Official Eye Doc, bcereuss. Congratulations! Please email me your favorite charity.

Thanks, everyone, for playing.

HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 12131,

Q

Posts: 27446 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Subconjuctival hemorrhage.

Perhaps from a coughing fit or straining too hard.

Just a WAG

Posts: 108937 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pinguecula, UV exposure

Posts: 1832 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Total guess for fun:

Corneal burn, Welding without adequate protection

Posts: 9019 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Somebody bought a JJ P228 for $250!!!

Posts: 9380 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DeadHead
Picture of two-two-niner-romeo
posted Hide Post
Looks like a baby had an allergic reaction to the house pet.

"Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right!" - GhostBusters II

"You have all the tools you need. Don't blame them. Use them." - Dan Worrall

Posts: 1916 | Location: Putnam County, NY | Registered: May 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Viewed the solar eclipse without taking precautions?

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8350 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Don't know the name of it. But it's some sort of eye thing.
Am I right?

Meanwhile, I have right now a second case of fatty looking tissue pooching out of my left eye orbit. On the outer side. Setting up a surgery date to get this reduced soon. Had it before on the right. Don't know the name of it either

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6400 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
Burned eyeballs from accidentally walking in on his parents having sex.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aniridia?
Pregnancy?

Posts: 375 | Location: The once great state of California | Registered: November 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hairy2dawg
posted Hide Post
I'm going to guess that some lefty saw Trump do something they didn't like and washed their eyes out with bleach.

Posts: 1284 | Location: Athens, GA | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Argyll-Robertson pupils from Syphilis ?

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16628 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
My best guess is only from my experience. My eyes were close to like that with eye allergies. The pain and irritation drove me crazy.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19992 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Macular degeneration

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55139 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
Seems like the eyelashes have been burned off.

Perhaps an accident involving the stove or bbq and subsequent infection.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1985 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
Eye burn due to rubbing the eyes after handling habaneros, ghost peppers,or reapers.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2428 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
Waking up to see baby's first pet.
Meow

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2075 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
1. Allergic conjunctival chemosis
2. I’ll guess a pet dog or cat dander

Posts: 3005 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
When I was a young boy my allergies would affect my eyes like that. Doctor said Hayfever. Dimetap tastes like fake grape.

Posts: 45529 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Coloboma, likely due to genetic expression.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31960 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post