SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When did I officially become a resident of my new state?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When did I officially become a resident of my new state? Login/Join 
Picture of Expert308
posted
Time to do my taxes. In October 2022 I retired and began drawing funds from my 401K (conventional, not Roth, so I do owe taxes on the withdrawal amounts). In November I moved from Oregon to Idaho. So I (probably) need to do three returns this time, a federal and two part-year resident ones.

My question is about which 401K withdrawals apply to which states' income buckets. When did I officially stop being a resident of Oregon and start being a resident of Idaho? Was it when I physically moved into my new house? When I signed the closing papers on the new house? When I was issued an Idaho DL?

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Google says

quote:
State Residence for Tax Purposes
All U.S. citizens are residents of at least one state for tax purposes. Your state of residence is determined by:
Where you're registered to vote (or could be legally registered)
Where you lived for most of the year
Where your mail is delivered
Which state issued your current driver's license
You can be considered a resident of multiple states. It’s also possible to be considered a full-year resident of one state and a nonresident of another state, or a part-year resident in multiple states and nonresident in other states at the same time.

If you don't know which state you should consider your state of residence, contact a state to understand the resident guidelines.

Oregon Part year Resident Form with instructions

Link

Posts: 23386 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
When did you stop living in Oregon? Does that date coincide with the date you moved into your home on Idaho?

Posts: 10909 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
We sold our home in Montana on 3/31 and bought our home in Arizona on 4/1. Those were the dates I used to change state residency.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
My guess would be when you got your new drivers
license.
As far as I know you can't have a license in two states at the same time so as soon as you have a residence tied to a license that should become your primary domicile would be my guess.

I am not an expert by any stretch however when I worked in a gun store you had to provide a valid license to prove, you were who you said you were,old enough to buy a firearm and a resident of that state you lived in when purchasing a hand gun.

I would talk to an accountant just to be sure.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2570 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I just found a law that says I became a resident of Idaho the day I moved into my house here. So that's resolved.

I figured I could do all the returns myself, but I ran into another hurdle. Because I sold a primary residence I may be liable for taxes on the gain of that sale, but I don't have the old records to document when I bought it, what I paid for it, etc. So I'm going to have to get a professional to do it for me this year.

Thanks to all for the inputs.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
When did you stop living in Oregon? Does that date coincide with the date you moved into your home on Idaho?

Yes. I moved out of my house in Oregon on 11/9 and into my new one in Idaho on 11/10. So 11/10 is my date of residence in Idaho.

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
Yeah, I just found a law that says I became a resident of Idaho the day I moved into my house here. So that's resolved.

I figured I could do all the returns myself, but I ran into another hurdle. Because I sold a primary residence I may be liable for taxes on the gain of that sale, but I don't have the old records to document when I bought it, what I paid for it, etc. So I'm going to have to get a professional to do it for me this year.

I would think the professional would still need numbers from you regarding the house you sold.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19645 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I'm no CPA, but I don't think there are capital gains on a primary residence.

Posts: 20080 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:

You may qualify to exclude gain on the sale of your primary residence. 250K/individual or 500K/couple. See what the IRS says. Also, what you paid for your old house may be in the deed, which you may be able to access online.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post