SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Marzy Is Now A Two Cockatoo Household (Updated)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marzy Is Now A Two Cockatoo Household (Updated) Login/Join 
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted
I've had my beloved Roxy for 29 years this week. She has been my constant companion for over half my life. Can you imagine having a pet for that long?

Tabs has had FeatherFever® for a couple years now and we have been visiting Papayago parrot rescue, but damn they don't want to adopt any birds out. They want you to agree to unannounced inspections after the adoption. I had told Tabs we would have to adopt an older bird because of their longevity and we are way too old for a baby bird. I have no idea where Roxy will go when the time comes. She will outlive me by decades.

Well on one of my bird boards this couple in Tennessee were losing their trailer and he wasn't allowed to go where they were moving.

He's a 26 year old Goffin Cockatoo that has been rehomed many times.

We were told he was untouchable by them, but Tabs was willing to put in the patience for him.

He was unhappy at this last home as they had three kids and barking dogs. The previous owner was trash and was mean to him because he didn't do what a parrot "is supposed to do".

Before that is a mystery, but someone at one time loved him very much and his personality reflects it.

He started barbering his feathers from the stress.

My brother works in extreme North, Georgia and agreed to go get him for us.

SC brings him home and we meet at his house. Tabs nearly breaks through the door to get to him and just reaches in the cage willy nilly to get him.

He didn't cower, he didn't bite, he cuddled right up to her and they have been inseparable since.

So, we welcome Pippin to the family.

With Tab's gentle nature and patience he should regrow his feathers.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mars_Attacks,

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34142 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Mars, I really want one. I really do. I’ve always wanted one. A friend into birds said it would not get along with my Mal, but I’d set up cages in two different places, one in the master, and one in the kitchen nook where my k9 crate is when I leave the house. I’d be willing to adopt. I rescued k9’s for many years for a foundation, trained them, showed them the abuse they suffered, whether physical or psychological, wasn’t all humans, and we got them in loving homes.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12661 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Very cool! I'm curious about one thing though. Roxy has been "Queen of the roost" for all those years. How did she react to the newcomer?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30738 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Very nice

Posts: 107750 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Just having a predator in the house can be WAY too much stress.

Now after being an only bird, I am going to have to slowly integrate him with her.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Posts: 34142 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Very cool! I'm curious about one thing though. Roxy has been "Queen of the roost" for all those years. How did she react to the newcomer?

Roxy: SEE THE BIRD!!! SEE THE BIRD!! *kiss sound*

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Nice!

Pippin and Roxy should provide companionship and mischief for many years.

You'll just have to find out which one is guilty and who hid the screwdriver so they could dismantle the cage later. Wink

Posts: 9171 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Happy Birdday to your house!

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43926 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
Welcome home Pippin.

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7634 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, my friend.

Posts: 45401 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
What a nice story.

Posts: 47419 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

Posts: 13682 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
The people that had him were kind, just didn't know how to handle a cockatoo.
They had dogs and children and he had been traumatized years earlier. He like the young woman pretty good, wouldn't let the husband touch him.
One previous owner was mean to him. I'd like to visit him with a taser.
When I got there, they took me to him and I talked to him a minute and opened his cage. I asked if he wanted a scratch and to my surprise, he lowered his head.
I gently reached over and slowly scratched the nape of his neck feathers. He instantly relaxed and did the cockatoo beak greeting.
They young fella said, dude, you are the first man he's allowed to touch him!
Then I coaxed him out and he went over to the little gal and I scratched him some more.
Well I had to towel him to get him in the travel cage and he let me know he wasn't happy with that.
I was fully expecting to take a bite. It's not as bad as it looks...

We made the 2+ hour ride home from up near Knoxville. He wasn't thrilled with riding in that little Ranger.(I had to bring his big cage too)
But one we got home, I brought his travel cage in and we placed him on the dining room table for Cici to see him.
I opened his cage and he let me scratch him again.
I gave him an almond and he KNEW that was a treat!
Marzy was about 20 minutes out when Pippin came out and started interacting with Mrs Cockatoo.
She scratched and kissed on him and he even let her touch is back and tail.

I think he's gonna settle in and his little too mind will be soothed in his new loving environment.

I hope he turns out like my Coco.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39770 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
Heartwarming, simply heartwarming.

Posts: 12185 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Showing kindness to animals is one of the noblest aspects of humanity.

Posts: 107750 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I've seen the kindness some people offer to some that have been through the worst situations.
There is a rescue center not too far from Marzy that breaks my heart. I can't go in there.

Ive seen the cruelty that men bring.
It's no secret how much I don't like much of humanity. Seeing what men do and having worked(coworker) with an animal abuser(convicted) for a while hasn't helped much. I rejoiced when Covid took his job and I trained a replacement.

My wife has to remind me that I can't save them all.
And that is frustrating.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39770 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Nicely done SC and Marzy. I think Pippin won the bird lottery with his new home, and already sounds as if he's on the right track back to normalcy. Thanks to both of you for what you do. Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Great story, please keep us updated. I somehow feel your newest family member is going to be mischievous. Big Grin

Posts: 12475 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post
Congrats to Pippin, and well you and yours as well.

Archerman

Posts: 2488 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Congratulations; very nice. Unless anyone has ever owned a bird, they have no idea the bond between a bird and their owner. I love my Conure and cocktail and prior birds I have owned. Each has their own personality. Your new bird is lucky to be in a loving home!

Posts: 8670 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post