SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need Ladder advice
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Ladder advice Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted
I already have a good adjustable extending pole for a paint roller, and I need to paint a few walls that meet the ceiling of the second floor at 16.5 feet. I plan on using edger and corner painting tools on the extension pole to handle the wall where it meets the ceiling and the wall corners at height.

So I need a step ladder but I'm not sure what height of ladder to get. I don't have experience painting at height. Any advice ? Thanks.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8702 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I advise against buying a ladder for your task as you're doing a large area so human nature will be to lean and do too much from one spot risking a fall.

Instead, buy/rent a rolling scaffold such as this one.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23316 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mech
posted Hide Post
We have a podium ladder at home and I absolutely love that thing. Super sturdy, the 3/4 wrap around rail is a great safety feature when I'm up high:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/We...der-PDIA10/205322562

Posts: 1160 | Location: SW Washington, Support Sporting Systems! | Registered: March 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mech:
We have a podium ladder at home and I absolutely love that thing. Super sturdy, the 3/4 wrap around rail is a great safety feature when I'm up high:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/We...der-PDIA10/205322562

I spend a lot of time on ladders. I hate those things. Way too big to maneuver around. Only thing I dislike more is a little giant.

I prefer basic A frame ladders, as light as possible too.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20842 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I painted my cathedral ceiling using a 16 foot extension ladder with the pads on the ends. The ceiling slopes down from 18 feet to 9 feet. The ceiling was white while the walls were beige.

I used a paint stick to roll the paint on and a brush for filling in the corners. You have to move the ladder a lot but that took care of the walls and upper part of the ceiling.

Half way down, I used a Werner ladder and the paint stick to finish it to the 9 foot wall. Your arms get tired reaching out with the paint stick but there is no splatter and I didn't need a drop cloth.

https://www.acehardware.com/de...sion-ladders/1202290

This new version of the paint stick has the grip lever to feed the paint to the roller verses the old version where you had to push in the stick to feed paint to the roller.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Wagne...aint-Roller/50329995

The paint stick has been around for a long time and is well designed to uniformly feed the paint to the roller by having the hole size along the roller get larger as you move towards the end. Flow equals hole size times pressure.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Many, many years ago I bought a Giant. With it extended to its longest length I can easily reach the gutters on the second floor of my house.

I can also use it to hang a picture hook 9' off the ground (I am 6'4").

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
brother bought one of these and gave away three other ladders.
loves it
https://www.costco.com/Little-...oduct.100487758.html

his ceilings are vaulted as well.

he also has a 4 x 8 rolling scaffold

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54700 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
I painted my cathedral ceiling using a 16 foot extension ladder with the pads on the ends. The ceiling slopes down from 18 feet to 9 feet. The ceiling was white while the walls were beige.

This is exactly how I did a foyer. The areas going up the stairway were the only challenge....

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12441 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
When I painted my great room I went and rented a scaffold because I felt using a ladder would be a lot more work and would increase the risk of a fall.

I looked at the rentals from Lowes and HD but instead I went to the local Sunbelt rentals and got a professional one. it was much more stable, set up was easy and it rolled around nicely. It also cost me less. it was $96.00 for 30 days while the box stores were $160.00 for a week. I set it up Friday, took it down Sunday evening, and returned it on Monday.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3854 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I would do what spinzone did. Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29727 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another scaffold vote. Painted a 17 foot entryway two years ago. Rental for the week around $100. It was nice not have to use extension poles and gadgets to reach corners, etc.

If you go the ladder route, be mindful of the selected ladder's footprint when deployed in relation to your project.

Posts: 607 | Location: Washington State | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:

Only if it was 1992 or you had just "come out".

Razz

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12441 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:

Only if it was 1992 or you had just "come out".

Razz

Pretty sure he was talking methods. Big Grin

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20842 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Only thing I dislike more is a little giant.

Funny you say that. I have a little giant and love it. Sure, it’s heavy, but it’s solid as a rock and is the only ladder I’ll ever need.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16273 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post