SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The reason that Independence Day wasn’t changed to the first Monday in July
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The reason that Independence Day wasn’t changed to the first Monday in July Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
I don’t know, but i suspect that it’s solely because the holiday is commonly called “The Fourth of July “.

And I’m glad it hasn’t been tampered with!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9410 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Yeah, because only one day is Independence Day.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30862 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Yeah, July 4th is The Day. They didn’t declare it on the 1st Monday in July. I'm confused as to why this is even a question.

Q

Posts: 27447 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Veterans Day is also only on November 11th, the day of the armistice that ended World War I.

Now, what probably will happen, because the Fourth falls on Thursday, is make a 4-day weekend out of it, so I'd expect government offices to be closed Friday.

Posts: 28586 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

I'm confused as to why this is even a question.
Maybe because "they" have a track record of fucking with the calendar. A lot of historical days have been changed during my lifetime.

We used to have Lincoln's birthday on February 12, and Washington's on February 22. Now it's some "Presidents' Day," without naming the presidents.

Memorial Day was May 30.

Armistice Day disappeared.

At least they haven't changed New Year's Day, it's still January 1.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31341 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
And let us never forget the man who made it a reality.

https://x.com/3YearLetterman/s.../1808469159472136374

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30862 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 28586 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Now, what probably will happen, because the Fourth falls on Thursday, is make a 4-day weekend out of it, so I'd expect government offices to be closed Friday.

Not around here, although like at most workplaces (even private businesses) it'll be a skeleton crew with many folks using vacation days on Friday.

Posts: 32992 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Maybe because "they" have a track record of fucking with the calendar. A lot of historical days have been changed during my lifetime.

We used to have Lincoln's birthday on February 12, and Washington's on February 22. Now it's some "Presidents' Day," without naming the presidents.

Lincoln's BD is still Feb 12. It was never a national holiday. Washington's BD was a national holiday. I don't see the big deal about having a President's Day on the 3rd Monday in February to honor both.

quote:
Memorial Day was May 30.

Its origin is not so clear cut, https://time.com/5836444/black-memorial-day/

But, when you talk about Independence Day, Christmas, or New Year Day, there is no doubt what day of the year each is. It's not the 1st Monday in July, the 4th Wednesday in December, or the 1st Monday of the new year (although, according to AI, it was for the year 0001).

quote:
Armistice Day disappeared.

What's wrong with Veterans Day?

quote:
At least they haven't changed New Year's Day, it's still January 1.

It's not moving anywhere.

Q

Posts: 27447 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
3YLM for the win

Posts: 255 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: December 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Yeah, because only one day is Independence Day.

A good friend of mine said Independence Day came twice two years ago -- once on July 4, and again when his divorce was finalized. Big Grin

God bless America.

Posts: 13824 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I find it kind of ironic that the UK is having their national election this 4th of July...

Posts: 34469 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:

I’m guessing you found that on the internet, so it must be true.

Posts: 3519 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

Lincoln's BD is still Feb 12. It was never a national holiday. Washington's BD was a national holiday.
I don't know for sure whether or not Lincoln's birthday was a national holiday, but I do know that it was a school holiday and there was no mail delivery, back when I was in elementary school.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31341 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 4th of July is the birthday to end all birthdays. So don't even think about fucking with it. And that's all I have to say about this.

-MG

Posts: 2188 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I always suspected that Benjamin Franklin and Thomas Jefferson were in fact one and the same person.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16823 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
“The Second Day of July 1776, will be the most memorable Epocha, in the History of America.

I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated, by succeeding Generations, as the great anniversary Festival. It ought to be commemorated, as the Day of Deliverance by solemn Acts of Devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with Pomp and Parade, with Shews, Games, Sports, Guns, Bells, Bonfires and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other from this Time forward forever more.

You will think me transported with Enthusiasm but I am not. -- I am well aware of the Toil and Blood and Treasure, that it will cost Us to maintain this Declaration, and support and defend these States. -- Yet through all the Gloom I can see the Rays of ravishing Light and Glory. I can see that the End is more than worth all the Means. And that Posterity will triumph in that Days Transaction, even altho We should rue it, which I trust in God We shall not.”

- John Adams

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3117 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
quote:

Big Grin

Posts: 53750 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I went to grades 1-12 schools in seven different places from the early 1950s to the mid-’60s, and in none was 12 February*, Lincoln’s birthday, a holiday of any sort. February 22, Washington’s birthday, was, and it was always celebrated on that day: the 22d. I clearly remember the practices because I was always disappointed that we did not have the 12th off as well.

It used to annoy me when today was simply referred to as “July 4th” rather than Independence Day, but no longer. I don’t expect anyone under the age of 60 (or older) to understand what it signifies other than a day off that sometimes falls on an inconvenient time of the week to turn it into a long weekend.

* And Charles Darwin’s.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47647 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:

A good friend of mine said Independence Day came twice two years ago -- once on July 4, and again when his divorce was finalized. Big Grin[/QUOTE]

Quite understandable...

Posts: 58 | Location: north-central Florida | Registered: February 12, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post