SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I’m watching the movie 13 Hours.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I’m watching the movie 13 Hours. Login/Join 
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted
What reason did the Obama administration give for refusing ambassador Stevens the help for which he had been begging?
I’m sorry, but I can’t help thinking that someone benefited financially by abandoning those guys.
Wasn’t it somehow connected to weapons for someone?

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Because the administration was led by a piece of shit, with another piece of shit as Secretary of State? I’m sure they came up with some reason that I don’t know about but my explanation is probably more accurate.

Posts: 686 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I don’t believe anyone from the Obama administration or the Clinton State Department has ever answered (or even lied about) your question.

Think about it. What news agency is even going to ask the question, and none of them will talk to FOX News the only network that would have asked it.

Posts: 13286 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I watch this movie every year on Veteran’s Day and it takes me about that long to calm down enough to watch it again the following year.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12340 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
It makes me very grateful that HRC wasn’t elected. I hope Trump absolutely humiliates the Democrats next fall with a gigantic landslide.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Was it because of a protest or was it because of guys out for a walk one night and decided they’d go kill some Americans," Clinton said. "What difference – at this point, what difference does it make?" Hillary’s answer.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sportshooter:
What reason did the Obama administration give for refusing ambassador Stevens the help for which he had been begging?
I’m sorry, but I can’t help thinking that someone benefited financially by abandoning those guys.

The initial answer that was surmised, was both the security side and the appointed diplomatic side underestimated the in-country issues and justified their decisions as finances and resources were stretched too thin. Its also possible that Ambassador Stevens either didn't make his case as assertive as he should've early on or, didn't have a higher-up he could turn to or, find support.

Whatever the reason, the Benghazi assault, exposed the short-comings of the State Dept policies in non-permissive/semi-permissive areas, the ineffectiveness of the SecState in times of stress/conflict and to a lesser degree the indecisiveness of the military commanders to act. AFRICOM is one six combatant commanders in the world, while their authority is the same as an Ambassador, they have more power and resources they can draw on. AFRICOM wavered and dithered, instead of putting more resources into motion and presenting options when they were needed; meanwhile on the ground CIA and DoD personnel took the initiative, to secure transportation from Tripoli and Benghazi to support and evacuate the personnel in Benghazi.

Initiative happened at the deck plate/ground level but, not at the command level.

Posts: 14663 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
If you are asking about the refusal of the request for increased security measures I've seen some information that indicated that the reason given was due to budgetary constraints, especially given that the annex wasn't an actual embassy...although when you consider the amount of government money spent on so many other things I find this excuse lacking in credibility.

If you are referring to the help request during the attack, the general narrative of the Obama administration at that time was that, generally speaking, the terror threat had largely been eliminated. When the attack started and the call for help went out to respond to the attack would have contradicted one of the key narratives/ platforms that President Obama was running for election on, that there were no significant terror threats there. Also, I believe that responding to the request for help during the attack would have opened the door for the public to become aware of the Obama administration's CIA mission regarding the buying and selling of weapons.

Either way it was a needless despicable failure in leadership to protect Americans abroad for political reasons.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
The tin foil hat version is that there was some backdoor politics (arms trade) going on and to send in more ppl would have exposed this.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:
Originally posted by Sportshooter:

The initial answer that was surmised, was both the security side and the appointed diplomatic side underestimated the in-country issues and justified their decisions as finances and resources were stretched too thin. Its also possible that Ambassador Stevens either didn't make his case as assertive as he should've early on or, didn't have a higher-up he could turn to or, find support.

Whatever the reason, the Benghazi assault, exposed the short-comings of the State Dept policies in non-permissive/semi-permissive areas, the ineffectiveness of the SecState in times of stress/conflict and to a lesser degree the indecisiveness of the military commanders to act. AFRICOM is one six combatant commanders in the world, while their authority is the same as an Ambassador, they have more power and resources they can draw on. AFRICOM wavered and dithered, instead of putting more resources into motion and presenting options when they were needed; meanwhile on the ground CIA and DoD personnel took the initiative, to secure transportation from Tripoli and Benghazi to support and evacuate the personnel in Benghazi.

Initiative happened at the deck plate/ground level but, not at the command level.

The National Command Authority could not make a decision. None of those pogues understood the importance of coming to the aid of comrades in peril, their primary consideration being political risk, and that runs down the leash to subordinate commanders. Their paralysis blew up in their faces. What happened in Benghazi is cause for national shame.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4359 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
I watch this movie every year on Veteran’s Day and it takes me about that long to calm down enough to watch it again the following year.

Ronin, people tell me I'm being melodramatic when I say this but it took me more than 10 years to make it all the way through Black Hawk Down.

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:

Incompetence.

Posts: 22928 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." 

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Michael Bay does Michael Bay 99% of the time (not that that is a bad thing I like splody’ boob bouncy as much as anybody) but damn he did a fantastic job with this movie. I was worried when I saw him attached to this but it was an excellent movie that I think handled the subject matter well.

Funny you posted this as I was planning to watch this tonight.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7686 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark_a:
quote:

Ronin, people tell me I'm being melodramatic when I say this but it took me more than 10 years to make it all the way through Black Hawk Down.

I’ve only watched BHD once. I can’t go through that emotional roller coaster again.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12340 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everyone involved in letting them die needs to be tried for murder.

Posts: 7021 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not getting into the after action lies that administration told, this situation is not uncommon. Marine barracks in Beirut, Kenya, The USS Cole, Tet offensive, the Bulge, ect. The US has a tendency to react vs act many times.

Ask yourself now, what US installations throughout the world may be at risk or not have the "proper" security?

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
Right, not having proper security was bad enough but the administration's response when the SHTF was disgraceful. Fuck them all.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5911 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark_a:
quote:
Not melodramatic AT ALL. 13 Hours, Black Hawk Down, et. al., usually has me running to the cabinet for another round of Benicar or Metoprolol.

The disdain and down-right hatred (I know I'm not supposed to feel) I have for that Kenyan sunuvabitch and that smug, pompous, evil, piece of fecal matter "woman" that stated, "What difference does it make..." and said it was "all due to a video" (pffff...what a load of CRAP) is undefined in our current language. Runs pretty damned deep and I wouldn't piss on either one of them if they were on fire. Probably throw on more gas.
[/drift]

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Some day people like the Clintons, Obama, Schiff, Pelosi etc. are goin to pay. I don't know how or when but I truly believe they will pay. Vengeance is mine sayth the Lord.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post