Sole related experience: My friend overcharged a reloaded .223 round and fired it in a Mini 14. Case exploded and he picked up some brass shrapnel. Gas traveled down into the magazine and blew out the baseplate, dumping the contents. The ammo did not detonate.
End of Earth: 2 Miles Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
Posts: 17806 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014
_________________________________________________________________________ “A man’s treatment of a dog is no indication of the man’s nature, but his treatment of a cat is. It is the crucial test. None but the humane treat a cat well.” -- Mark Twain, 1902
Posts: 10587 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005
I had a .45ACP round blow out near the rim, which caused the grip panels to shatter and ejected the magazine. I had a few splinters in my hand, but on other rounds in the mag went off.
Posts: 17740 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006
The only chain detonations I've ever heard of were in tube-fed guns, i.e. lever guns. I've never witnessed one though, so even that is hearsay.
If he did actually have a squib in the barrel on the 1st or 2nd round, the FRT would ensure that another round was fired behind it. I suppose that could have blown out the magazine. But I don't see that causing a chain detonation unless MAYBE he was using completely worn out or rusted out cases. I also didn't see any flash burns on his hand or arm.
If the first incident was indeed real, you'd have to be the absolute king of stupid to try it again.
I had a factory 357 Sig round have bullet setback on loading andproduce a case blow-out. Only one round exploded and I fired NO more of that factory ammo.
Posts: 7143 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005
TMK, lever guns can definitely set everything off in the tube with a large enough fall/the wrong bullets etc - makes sense. It’s why people don’t ship ammo bullet to primer, TMK.
Had an Ar10 fire out of battery. Blew up all kinds of stuff, but just blew out the bottom of the mag.
Similarly, loaded 38 super major in a gun built only for minor. Cracked the grips and blew out the bottom but that was it.
BS-3595-C401. In Theory, this will be the "seal" verifying that I am an attorney, and when I was licensed/the authority was last contacted, and confirmed it to be active.
Posts: 6916 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Low Country, SC. | Registered: May 24, 2007
IF this is real and IF that’s spec ammunition, I don’t really see how this could happen in this situation. If all of the bullets in the mag magically walked out of their cases, dumping their powder, maybe, but how could that happen by accident? Maybe shitty homemade blanks? Cartridges are designed NOT to propagate an initiation so easily. Definitely no detonations; he wouldn’t have a hand. The flames/sparks looked like a propellant deflagration.
________________________________________
-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --
Posts: 18838 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005