SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Who do we like for natural gas water heaters?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who do we like for natural gas water heaters? Login/Join 
posted
So the current one is starting to show its age, looking to see what brands people here like. As much as I wouldn't mind a tankless version, it will be faster and cheaper to replace with the old school style.

Just trying to figure out sizing and pricing before I am in a bind, especially with the supply chain BS going on.

Thanks in advance

Posts: 340 | Location: Twin Cities MN | Registered: April 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
We have a 50 gallon power vent Bradford White Defender and it’s been great. Makes plenty of hot water for a family of 5 and water gets hot to the taps pretty fast. I had it installed in 2018 when we got rid of heating oil and got NG to the house. Had an electric water heater previously and our electric bill promptly dropped around $45 a month when this went into service and I estimate it uses maybe $10-$15 worth of NG a month:

Posts: 33834 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Our old house had a BW like the one above.

We [builder] must've gotten a bad batch, as 8 on our street failed within about 6 months of each other. The plastic control box had something fail/melt & it spewed water. Luckily they're in the garage, no house damage.

Fixed under warranty & they replaced the plastic box with a metal one, just a temp know & pilot ignitor. Never had a problem after that.

Current & next house have Rinnai tankless.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15358 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
Another vote for BW.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5293 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
The two past Reams went out at 9 years and 7.5....I bit the bullet and installed an A O Smith on demand one... that cost me $1750 and I installed it myself.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We went with a 75 gallon Bradford White power vent last year. Thrilled with the extra capacity, with our large family!

Posts: 1704 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
a tankless Rhinnaue. If your water heater is against an outside wall, you can generally install the Rhinnae outside and no added venting needed and then just have to tie into the plumbing on the other side of the wall.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I have a Rinnai tankless also and really like it, especially if you might be away regularly like I am. You could get quotes on both.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38697 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
I had a Bradford White 50-gal installed a year ago, and it's a beast. Plenty of hot water and no drama. It's not a power-vent model, just the regular vent.
The plumbing company I use only installs B-W and in their opinion are the best on the market.

Posts: 1782 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I have thirteen water heaters between my properties. In my experience, Bradford White has been the best, but I’ve gotten long life out of most of my units. I have Rheem and GE units that are nearly twenty years old. I think your water type, maintenance, and having a pressure tank installed go a long way towards making a heater last, regardless of the brand.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8221 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Realize that a water heater is an expendable item and usually has a lifespan of ten years. BW is a great brand. It’s what I put in my kids house after my dad (plumber) said to skip the cheap shit at lowes and I bought one at dads account at Ferguson.

I’d go with a BW (gas heated) again.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11295 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
We moved from a 50 Gallon LP tank after the second failure to a Rinnai tankless, being in Fl we installed it outside. It significantly lowered the LP tank refill costs, we use about half what we did with the tank.

NG is even more efficient, and would be my choice, otherwise the BW or AO Smith tanks seem to be good and 10 years is about the life of any tank you install.

Posts: 23510 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Installed a Bradford White and it developed a leaking tank two months to the day out of warranty.

Of course no assistance from B-W, two days before Labor Day weekend, sometime the following week was the soonest available service call.Not a viable option due to circumstances of two toddlers in the house during the daytime, we watch the grandkids.

So off to Home Depot for a Rheeem.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8114 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I install them all the time and my first choice is always Bradford-White! They don't have the airway issues alot of the the other brands do.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I know you said you thought tankless water heaters were too much trouble but since would ask you to do your homework and reconsider…

Our gas bill dropped by 35% by going tankless and given the high cost of gas these days the small additional costs would be quickly made up.

Initially we installed Rinnai heaters and had very good luck with them but a newer more efficient brand came out, Navian and we started to use these exclusively. The reasons were primarily 2 fold; they were slightly more efficient and secondly, the pvc piping could be run using 2’ pipe instead of 3” which made installation easier.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6330 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
I have a Rinnai tankless also and really like it, especially if you might be away regularly like I am. You could get quotes on both.

I have to agree with 6guns, the Rinnai, is the bomb for our household. No issues with a tank heating water while we are away along with fast delivery of hot water to the tap.

Posts: 3852 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
I know you said you thought tankless water heaters were too much trouble but since would ask you to do your homework and reconsider…

Our gas bill dropped by 35% by going tankless and given the high cost of gas these days the small additional costs would be quickly made up.

Initially we installed Rinnai heaters and had very good luck with them but a newer more efficient brand came out, Navian and we started to use these exclusively. The reasons were primarily 2 fold; they were slightly more efficient and secondly, the pvc piping could be run using 2’ pipe instead of 3” which made installation easier.

I have a navien combi in my shop for floor heat & hot water - it has been excellent.
Comparing usage to the house electric tank / gas furnace is apples to oranges, but I suspect it is much more efficient at the water heater side. I will likely go gas tankless next time around.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post