SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Can I send Tobacco via the USPS to a FPO AE?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can I send Tobacco via the USPS to a FPO AE? Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
As the title says, I want to send some cigars to a friend of mine who is currently stationed in Italy. Am I good to go to put Cigars on the label?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12350 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IndianaMike
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1605 | Location: NORTHEAST INDIANA | Registered: August 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
Back in the day... it depended on the destination, not so much USPS, but the host country's laws. So Saudi Arabia was out for a bunch of stuff, though everyone did it anyway and I received a bunch of unauthorized stuff.

This LINK is probably a better resource than what is already posted, and more up to date.

Here's a clip:

quote:

Country Conditions for Mailing — Italy

Prohibitions (130)

Albums of any kind (of photographs, postcards, postage stamps, etc.).

Arms and weapons.

Articles of platinum or gold; jewelry; and other valuable articles unless sent as insured Priority Mail International parcels.

Artificial flowers and fruits and accessories for them.

Bells and other musical instruments and parts thereof.

Cartridge caps; cartridges.

Clocks and supplies for clocks.

Compound medicaments and medicines.

Coral mounted in any way.

Ether and chloroform.

Exposed photographic and cinematographic films.

Hair and articles made of hair.

Human remains.

Leather goods.

Lighters and their parts, including lighter flints.

Lithium cells and batteries — including items containing lithium cells and batteries under 135.6.

Live bees, leeches, and silkworms.

Live plants and animals.

Nutmeg, vanilla; sea salt, rock salt; saffron.

Parasites and predators of harmful insects.

Perfumery goods of all kinds (except soap).

Playing cards of any kind.

Postage stamps in sealed or unsealed First-Class Mail International or First-Class Package International Service shipments.

Radioactive materials.

Ribbons for typewriters.

Roasted or ground coffee and its substitutes; roasted chicory.

Saccharine and all products containing saccharine.

Salted, smoked or otherwise prepared meats; fats; and lard.

Tobacco.

Toys not made wholly of wood.

Treated skins and furs.

Weapons of any kind and spare parts for them.

Restrictions

Coins; bank notes; currency notes (paper money); traveler’s checks; jewelry; and other precious or valuable articles must be enclosed in an insured Priority Mail International parcel in order to be mailable to addressees in Italy.

Postage stamps for philatelic purposes are admitted in First-Class Package International Service with Registered Mail service shipments on condition that the package bears a completed PS Form 2976 and the addressee complies with the Italian financial regulations.

This LINK may also be helpful.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I'd like to take the opportunity to say thanks to the sigforum members who broke the "rules" to send me P220 parts, tobacco and other good stuff while deployed. Thanks again friends.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
I sent some to Doc Steve and his team in the sandbox back in the day.

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7634 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I was told No, a decade ago when I shipped stuff to my buddy in AFG. And then to my big kid in AFG.

Dude behind he counter had a tattoo of a belt of 7.62 and 0331 on his forearm- he then said that he would ship whatever to anyone at an APO forget about the rules

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11304 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I’m still confused. Some of those links are crazy…

Leather Goods
Playing cards of any kind.
Ribbons for typewriters

Really?

Anyway, I thought that FPO’s were more forgiving, but maybe not. Either way, I’ll buy my ticket and take my chances.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12350 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post