SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pretty slow mo video of various calibers vs AR550
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pretty slow mo video of various calibers vs AR550 Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted
Pretty to watch at 250,000 frames per sec.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20757 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Cool. I enjoy high speed camera videos.

I’ve always been curious to see this kind of stuff captured on high speed thermal cameras someday. See the conversion of KE to heat as the bullet hits the target. And regular steel targets using rifle rounds that leaves a hole in the steel.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mr. Peteroniman
posted Hide Post
that's really cool.
how do i get a job doing that?

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed.
For after all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Posts: 1996 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: June 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did you all see the unburned powder leave the muzzle of the Smith Snubbie after firing?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
The .50AE muzzle flash wins. It would have been better if the shooter had aimed at cleaner parts of the plate for each shot.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link.

Those were some of the best images of that sort of thing I’ve seen. It was especially enlightening to see the sparks or at least flashes of light that occurred when the bullets hit the steel, and that included the unjacketed 38 Special bullet. For a very long time I would have bet the rent that reports that bullets striking hard targets could start wildfires were fantasy. Then I saw flashes when officers shot at steel targets in the dark and changed my mind. I had never seen high speed videos of the phenomenon before, though, and even then would not have suspected that unjacketed bullets would show it. In our fire bans here, they usually prohibit shooting anything other than such bullets.

And another thing that that miniscule sample seemed to demonstrate was that the idea that shooting hollow point bullets at steel was more dangerous, i.e., they performed differently than FMJ bullets. Although the Action Target company has long actually recommended HP bullets over FMJ styles, some trainers have prohibited use of HP on steel in their classes. Based on the couple in the video, there was no noticeable difference in how they broke up.

One of my minor peeves about videos like that, though, is someone has a large investment in whatever setup they require (although usually less than the supposed $250K that the one camera costs), and then other things will be half- (or less) assed.

Like so many other YouTube testers of something, they can’t even shoot from a rest to ensure that the shots are spread out. In this case they weren’t testing for penetration, but they still seemed to be concerned where some of the bullets hit.

But even worse, it was obvious they were really not familiar with various cartridges, their power, etc. “What about this? What about that?” I suspect most of the shooters on this forum could have explained a few things to them. Or just a search about “blue tipped” 5.7 ammunition would have made it clear that there’s nothing special about it in a test like that. I can only imagine what someone told them.

In any event, the videos were interesting, and I hope to see what they do with rifle cartridges. Hopefully they will choose some that are in common use.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Why do they seem surprised that the 5.7 doesn't make much impact? It's 250 J of energy vs. 2,000 for the AE.
The mounting: masking tape?? And: the wood shelf on which the armor plate rests clearly takes the brunt of the spalling, not the gel.
Interesting, but I share SigFreund's frustration.

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
These guys are obviously camera guys not gun guys. I didn't pay much attention to anything except the zen like video. I'd buy a couple of the stills, frame them, and hang them on my walls.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20757 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
Great video, thanks for posting.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1925 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post