SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anti-Woke Black Leader: ‘Post-Racial’ America Starts with Two-Parent Black Families
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anti-Woke Black Leader: ‘Post-Racial’ America Starts with Two-Parent Black Families Login/Join 
posted
Kendall Qualls was born in Harlem, became an Army officer, obtained several advanced degrees and has been a healthcare executive in MN for 25 yrs with such companies as Medtronics and J&J. He also ran for Congress in MN (the district next to Omar)in 2020 and lost to an incumbent Dem. Sad that MN can elect Omar, but not an accomplished Black American like this.

This is an excellent article/interview with

Anti-Woke Black Leader: ‘Post-Racial’ America Starts with Two-Parent Black Families

Dr. Susan Berry
24 Nov 2021703
6:43
An anti-woke black leader denounced the pervasion of racial identity in the country’s culture and urged Americans to achieve a “post-racial” state by encouraging a return to two-parent black families.

At an event sponsored in early November by the Liberty Classical Academy, Minnesota-based TakeCharge President Kendall Qualls addressed the issue of “Envisioning a Post Racial America,” and moving the nation beyond its current laser focus on racial identity.

Qualls, who speaks out regularly against Critical Race Theory, observed that on the day Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. was assassinated, he was five years old, and “at that time, nearly 80 percent of black children were born in two-parent families”:

In my lifetime, we have seen the black community transformed from 80 percent two-parent families to 80 percent fatherless homes, without one national initiative to reverse the trend. If the American black family was a spotted owl or grey wolf, it would be on the endangered species list. There would be a national campaign to save the black family. There’d be galas, commercials, bumper stickers … My friends, what has happened in the black community is nothing short of a cultural genocide, and it’s the cause of 90 percent of the problems that we face in our communities. Not the mystical systemic racism. This is not the dream that Martin Luther King had in mind, and it’s been a nightmare for children. born during this time. We have been used as political pawns for 50 years and it ends tonight.

The black leader noted to his audience that, while Americans are today “bombarded with messages, that the country is overflowing with white supremacy, systemic racism,” the truth is “we’re actually living in the least racist period in our country’s history:”

But if you listen exclusively to news media, the entertainment industry and what I like to call the academic industrial complex, you would never know the real truth. That this is the least racist period in our country’s history in one of the least racist countries in the world. So having lived through the Jim Crow South, my parents and grandparents would have loved to have grown up in the America that I grew up in.

Qualls explained that, even within his own family of origin, a great contrast exists in the lives of his and his wife’s children and those of some of his siblings:

My children are the only ones that grew up with both a mother and a father in the home. Half their cousins have never finished high school. None have gone on to college. Half my nephews have been incarcerated. My nieces are mothers of children, having never been married. So, how do we explain these differences? Was the systemic racism built into American society? Or was it something else? Well, here you have two tales from the same family, same skin color, yet the disparities are quite broad.

Qualls said that, while he grew up first in Harlem in New York City, and then in a trailer park in Oklahoma, where he was often called “ghetto kid” and “trailer trash,” he was motivated to get an education, which he called “the great equalizer.”

Ultimately, he began a marketing career in the healthcare industry, where, at 36 years old, he became responsible for a $94 million budget.

“Trust me, I tell people all the time, I’m no one exceptional,” Qualls told his audience. “I live in an exceptional country. And I serve an exceptional God. A story like mine can happen … only in America, but it’s happened to millions of people in this country.”

He said his experience is a stark example of how America has changed:

I know what systemic racism is. My parents and grandparents lived through systemic racism. I did not. Over the course of my life … I received help from people, personally and professionally, that didn’t look like me. I received help from people who were black and white, rich and poor, male and female, from all over the country. They helped out of the goodness of their hearts. How do I know that? Because I had nothing to give them … Americans routinely help people who are trying to better their lot in life, and they don’t put a racial filter on it.

“If you look for racism in this country, you’ll find it,” Qualls emphasized. “But if you look for opportunity, you’ll find it 100 times over.”

He invited his audience to observe that many native-born black Americans are “blinded by the tears of anger, mistrust, and misunderstanding,” in contrast to the black Americans who have legally immigrated to the United States from the Caribbean Islands and African nations such as Nigeria.

“They earn significantly more than native born black Americans,” Qualls explained. “They achieve higher levels of education. And they are living the American Dream that civil rights leaders desired for us.”

“Many of these new citizens came to the country with intact families, which helped them with achievement and integration,” he added. “But another reason they’ve had success is they haven’t been indoctrinated by years of anti-white, anti-American, and anti-capitalist hatred.”

Qualls urged black Americans to “reconcile with the sins of our nation, re-establish two-parent families, rebuild our culture, and join other Americans around the table of prosperity as fellow citizens of this great country.”

He recommended black Americans begin this transformation by “tapping into the strength of our cultural roots of the black culture, which is linked to our Christian faith”:

Forgiveness is the cornerstone for Christianity. Just as God extends forgiveness to us in Christ, we are called to forgive others. As we take steps to forgive our country for the sins of slavery, Jim Crow laws, and many other forms of bigotry that followed, the heavy burden of bitterness, anger, resentment will be lifted from our shoulders. Our eyes will be open to clearly see the path forward, allowing us to focus on what’s best for our future, and the future of our children.

“I want to be clear: to forgive is an act of strength, not weakness,” Qualls asserted.

“We cannot continue forth as a healthy nation, thinking we are living in two separate Americas, and pitting groups of people against each other,” he emphasized. “It is unsustainable, and it is un-American.”

“We must come together with a renewed hope in our future,” he said, “by returning to trusted foundational values that can see us through a post-racial America, foundational values and behaviors that have weathered the test of time, which include personal responsibility, strong work ethic, pride in one’s nation, faith, two-parent families, and a first-rate education that allows anyone, and yes, I do mean anyone, to achieve their dreams.”

Posts: 580 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Link please Oh I see. Never mind.

Posts: 17159 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow! Great post.

Posts: 1496 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Kendall Qualls is SO right on.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8834 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Blah blah blah.

Of my large group of predominantly white Highschool friends in the late 80s, at least 75% of my friends came from single parent households (I did not, myself), and this was across all socioeconomic classes, and even those who had parents that were still married - one's mom was on her 5th marriage and others were on 2nds and 3rds, and overwhelmingly those whose parents "stayed together for the kids" are seen as failures and unnecessary choices after the fact by almost everyone involved...

And this was in average, suburban, half to mostly white, mostly middle class, mostly Republican, southern US of A... not some ghetto, but hotdogs and apple pie towns, where most of whom are church going and practicing christians as well.

This shit happens all over, to everyone, black, white, brown, everyone. And marriage is no magic talisman (nor anathema), and the lack of a two parent home hasn't stopped almost everyone I know in life from succeeding in life just the same.

This is some kooky pro marriage, pro religion, halfass, broad brush, nonsense masquerading as wisdom being put forth as something unique-ish to race, and it isnt.

Simple minded bullshit, semi wisdom, sounds smart but isn't bullshit.

Even the author who ought to know better is blinded by their own simple minded views.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Blah blah blah.

[SNIP]

This is some kooky pro marriage, pro religion, halfass, broad brush, nonsense masquerading as wisdom being put forth as something unique-ish to race, and it isnt.

Even the author who ought to know better is blinded by their own simple minded views.

Sooo, Bullshit or Not Bullshit? Or maybe you're just speaking jive...

Kendall Qualls makes a lot of sense here, you do not!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8759 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
The 4th paragraph in would solve most of the problems that are blamed on racism in this country. The race hustlers don't want those problems solved because is easier and more profitable to destroy a nation than it is to produce something and sell it everyday.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29592 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Americans can thank LBJ for helping destroy black families. His program offered more benefits if no male was present.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RoverSig
posted Hide Post
One way to pass along "wealth" is inside families. "Wealth" can mean a home, or education, or money; it represents something acquired (e.g., not born with) that the previous generation builds up and passes along to the next generation to give them a head start on success. It can include, too, informal education, love, confidence, the example of hard work and responsibility, support, and a host of intangibles.

A person can overcome the lack of these things, but it makes life harder, and lowers the odds of being successful in one's own life to go without.

In my family, it wasn't money, it was reading - my Mom spent inordinate hours reading with me, while my Dad worked to keep food on the table and the taxman away. And I got a lot of love and some good examples, too.

It worked out pretty well. And in turn we could pass it on. Economically, we could put our children through college and send them on their way to their own successes. In other ways, we were both there to pass along - as best we could - good examples. And they know we are both pulling for them, and cheering them on.

That's what is often missing in a single-parent family. That is all. It's a "secret" but it's not. With 85% of the black kids today not having a father in the home, they miss the good example, the learning from Dad, and the accumulation and transfer of "wealth" that would give them a leg up on life. A lot of white, brown, etc., families have the same problem as those black kids. It is hard to imagine they are better off without it.

Posts: 1597 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: June 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the numbers speak for themselves. Of course a child can successfully emerge from a single parent household and just because you have both in the house there are no guarantees for success.

If you are looking at percentage based odds you are vastly more likely to have successfully kids if they have both parents in the same house.

Posts: 3871 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
Americans can thank LBJ for helping destroy black families. His program offered more benefits if no male was present.

this right here

absolutely gutted the nuclear black family and it all went down from there

but the problem is -- most of them just don't get it. they think the answer is MORE government action.

read this article about Durham NC shootings (VASTLY affecting the black community). strengthening the 'family' in terms of solution is never mentioned. the word 'father' is never mentioned.

(76 of 78 assailants were black)

------------------------------------------

‘We have to stop this cycle:’ Black families in Durham disproportionately impacted by shootings

https://www.cbs17.com/news/loc...pacted-by-shootings/

by: Crystal Price
Posted: Nov 19, 2021 / 11:16 PM EST / Updated: Nov 19, 2021 / 11:21 PM EST

DURHAM, N.C. (WNCN) – Sheryl Smith is a grandmother who is raising five children in Franklin Village, a low-income housing community in East Durham mostly made up of Black families.

While she is working to give her grandchildren the best life possible, she said gunfire continues to plague her community.

A couple of months ago, two people were shot in the parking lot right outside of their apartment.

43 lives is a lot to lose’: 2021 becomes Durham’s deadliest year on record

Smith’s granddaughter, 11-year-old Na-Keria Bagley, said she hears gunfire in her neighborhood every other day.

“When we were younger, we were scared to sleep in our room, so we made pallets in the living room to sleep on until the shootings went down,” Bagley said.
Durham residents want answers after 2 children wounded in shooting

Smith said gun violence is something her family has dealt with for years.

This November marks 16 years since Smith’s 18-year-old son Todd Douglas was shot and killed while walking home from the store in 2005.

“After my son was murdered, it has really changed my whole world,” Smith said. “We have to stop this cycle, it has to end.”

According to data from the Durham Police Department, Black families are disproportionately impacted by gun violence.

While only 37 percent of Durham’s population is Black, so far this year 89 percent of the people who have been shot are African American.

During 2020, which was a record-breaking year for shootings in Durham, 284 of the 318 people shot last year were Black.

When looking at the ethnicity of those committing the shootings, last year 76 out of the 78 individuals arrested for the shootings were African American.

“This is a systemic failure,” said DeWarren Langley, executive director of the Charles Hamilton Houston Foundation, which is a non-profit organization that provides mentorship to young boys and men of color.

Durham activists prepare to open youth community center near downtown, hope it’ll curb gun violence

“We have too many communities that lack resources and that then turns into engagement in other alternatives, like gangs and the drug enterprises, and that is what gun violence is a direct result of,” Langley said.

Langley said many Black students are dealing with economic disparities at home, and that can impact their schoolwork.

His foundation consists of different programs that provide workshops and tutoring that help open the eyes of young Black men to career possibilities.

“We have a lot of different organizations and initiatives that are working in silos to deal with this challenge,” Langley said. “What we need is a collective, coordinated, and strategic plan.”

CBS 17 took Langley’s concerns to Durham City Councilman Mark-Anthony Middleton, representing Ward 2, to see if the city could help create one plan for all of the organizations working toward addressing the issue.

“What I’m focusing on now as we have a new government taking office within weeks, is to fund even more vigorously those programs and initiatives that are having an impact in our city,” Middleton said.

Are good policing, violence interrupters enough to curb violence as homicides in Durham spike?

As for Langley, he is urging the city council to do more, as lives are being lost and people are shot in Durham on a routine basis.

“To keep delaying and excusing bureaucracy for where we are, I think is an insult to the lives that have already been lost and the lives that continue to wait for us to finally get our act together to support them,” Langley said.

Smith said she is also calling on city and county elected officials to do more to combat the problem.

“We shouldn’t have to continue to fight this battle, because it can be fixed,” Smith said.

According to the latest data from Durham police, there have been 674 shooting incidents in Durham this year, 230 people have been shot, and 35 of those people have died.

Durham police want to remind anyone who has information about shooting incidents and other crimes to call Durham CrimeStoppers, (919) 683-1200, to submit an anonymous tip. Also, there are CrimeStoppers operators who speak Spanish.

Anyone can visit Durham CrimeStoppers to learn more about how they maintain callers’ anonymity. Tips leading to felony arrests or felony charges may qualify for a monetary reward.

===========================================================

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Blah blah blah. ....

read the article i just posted

facts matter

until you recognize the problem there will never be a solution

-----------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
but the problem is -- most of them just don't get it. they think the answer is MORE government action.
It's the lazy way out. "most of them" don't want to lift a finger to get themselves out from under this and expect the gov to simply do it for them...while they wait, and wait, and wait.

Posts: 8999 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The problem is not so much single parent households as it is fatherlessness. There is a difference.

My parents split up in 1980 when I was 8 and I lived with my mom the rest of the time I was growing up. I saw my dad on weekends and he was still a significant part of my life. This is likely the case with many or most of the kids 46and2 is referring to. Even if they lived with one parent, the other was still around and still a parent.

This is a lot different than entire neighborhoods where the fathers disappear (either by neglect, incarceration, or death) and play no role in their children's lives. There are no father figures or role models except gang members.

And that's the point - boys need strong male role models to keep them in line and enforce discipline, responsibility, and self-control.

Denzel Washington tells the same story - his parents were divorced but has father was still a father and was present in his life. His childhood friends that had no father at all are largely dead or in jail now.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RoverSig:
One way to pass along "wealth" is inside families. "Wealth" can mean a home, or education, or money; it represents something acquired (e.g., not born with) that the previous generation builds up and passes along to the next generation to give them a head start on success. It can include, too, informal education, love, confidence, the example of hard work and responsibility, support, and a host of intangibles.

A person can overcome the lack of these things, but it makes life harder, and lowers the odds of being successful in one's own life to go without.

In my family, it wasn't money, it was reading - my Mom spent inordinate hours reading with me, while my Dad worked to keep food on the table and the taxman away. And I got a lot of love and some good examples, too.

It worked out pretty well. And in turn we could pass it on. Economically, we could put our children through college and send them on their way to their own successes. In other ways, we were both there to pass along - as best we could - good examples. And they know we are both pulling for them, and cheering them on.

That's what is often missing in a single-parent family. That is all. It's a "secret" but it's not. With 85% of the black kids today not having a father in the home, they miss the good example, the learning from Dad, and the accumulation and transfer of "wealth" that would give them a leg up on life. A lot of white, brown, etc., families have the same problem as those black kids. It is hard to imagine they are better off without it.

This is the center of the issue. Intact families advantage the next generation. Here's an example: Two boys in identical circumstances; one is a neighbor kid and the other is one of our sons. Neighbor kid (We'll call him Sam) has two loving parents, a home in a nice neighborhood, church friends, food to eat, a place to sleep strong extended family ties. Our son has the same. Both stories start with the boys' friendship at 10 yrs of age.

Sam's dad has a lazy streak. Chooses to avoid a J. O. B. and opts for a series of money making schemes that make life a little unpredictable. Ultimately, Sam's dad chooses his own interests over his family's and they struggle. Not a fatal flaw but a complicating time bomb. Sam's mom gets tired of the inconsistency and gaps between paychecks. After 7 years of enduring, she wants a divorce. In the mean time, Sam is getting abused by an angry and frustrated dad. Sam becomes a rebel. Sam chooses drugs. Sam leaves his broken home and moves to Portland. Sam lives on the street. Four years later Sam comes to live with mom but his demons came too. Sam gets kicked out. Sam gets busted on a felony gun charge. Sam is in prison.

On the other hand, DF #3 has parents who work, save, pay off the house in 7 years, save more, delay gratification, stay together and work out the wrinkles. DF #3 goes off to serve mankind for a period. Comes home. Gets married. Struggles and finds himself in trouble as many young people do starting out. We are in a position to help. We leverage assets. He does his part. He works and saves while his wife stays home and raises her babies in a loving a secure environment.

Now after all of this time of saving they have enough to build a house on acreage we bought in Tennessee with funds we worked and saved years for. They will have a new house on land without a mortgage while still in their 20's. They've committed to continue out of debt working and saving to advantage their next generation. And so on.

I tell this story not to toot our horn but to illustrate the synergy of selflessness possible in families. That love rolls downhill. The older generation sacrifices for the next generation and the new generation commits to morally advantage the following. This is not possible when someone breaks the chain.

I do believe in privilege. But it is not racial privilege in today's culture. There is no white privilege nor black privilege. There is cultural privilege. A moral, diligent, industrious, disciplined culture yields advantage and privilege even in the face of catastrophic adversity. (Remember, Mrs DF and I lost everything once. We worked our way out with no govt help.) A sick culture yields despair, greed, avarice, covetousness, envy, selfishness, dishonesty, family destruction and grinds the individual into the dirt.

So the stories of two friends diverged based on two different cultures. One of the boys is in prison with a child being raised by a never married mom who struggles and lives on the tax payer. The other boy and his wife and children are on an accelerated path to inter-generational wealth. I think that is what the anti-woke black leader is promoting. Call it BS if you want. Whatever. It's working for us.

Posts: 29592 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Blah blah blah.

Of my large group of predominantly white Highschool friends in the late 80s, at least 75% of my friends came from single parent households (I did not, myself), and this was across all socioeconomic classes, and even those who had parents that were still married - one's mom was on her 5th marriage and others were on 2nds and 3rds, and overwhelmingly those whose parents "stayed together for the kids" are seen as failures and unnecessary choices after the fact by almost everyone involved...

And this was in average, suburban, half to mostly white, mostly middle class, mostly Republican, southern US of A... not some ghetto, but hotdogs and apple pie towns, where most of whom are church going and practicing christians as well.

This shit happens all over, to everyone, black, white, brown, everyone. And marriage is no magic talisman (nor anathema), and the lack of a two parent home hasn't stopped almost everyone I know in life from succeeding in life just the same.

That's not to say that children in a single parent household CAN'T succeed... But I'll be damned if children in a two parent household don't have A BETTER CHANCE of success.

I'm not sure how anyone can argue that.

The real kicker here, is that this is somehow a racial issue. I'd wager that statistics show that single parent white kids are disadvantaged just as much as single parent black kids (or whatever race you choose to look at, with regard to cultural factors)

Having two active parents helps. GENERALLY having two parents implies that both parents are more stable as parental figures (since if a parent or partner is good enough to stay with the other as a spouse/partner they are also good as a parent) Think about it. Is someone is a shitty husband/wife they are PROBABLY a shitty father/mother as well, and vice-a-versa. That's pretty basic.

That isn't to say that a single parent can't be a great parent, and many are. But two are better than one in most instances.

I'll agree with 46and2 in the sense that it is not a blanket statement. There are plenty of kids that are in terrible situations in a two parent home as well. The difference is that it is very likely that BOTH parents, or one parent is and the other enables, are messed up.

My mother, bless her soul, passed a few years back. She worked in a school district on the wrong side of the tracks on the wrong side of the tracks as a special education teacher. Her mantra was "show me a kid who is messed up, and I'll show you a family who is messed up"

That's TOTALLY true.

Kevin

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
“Sheryl Smith is a grandmother who is raising five children in Franklin Village, a low-income housing community in East Durham mostly made up of Black families.”

While she is to be commended, her situation is indicative of a rotten and broken culture.

What poor decisions and lifestyles transpired to cause Gma the guardian of five of her grandkids?

P229

Posts: 3808 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Darthfuster, thanks for that story. Very illustrative.

Posts: 1799 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by saigonsmuggler:
Darthfuster, thanks for that story. Very illustrative.

Big Grin